Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 08:10 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Whatever, a bunch of consumerist sheeple whose values are completely out of whack. You know, keeping up with the Joneses seems to NEVER go out of style.

Oh, and BTW, NJBest, why don't you try volunteering as a way to help people instead of buying crap you don't need? I work at a food bank once a week. Quantify that.
Not necessarily. My brother in law is a V.P. at a data company and he needs to be in constant contact via phone, e-mail and text -- his smart phone allows him to do that, and gives him the freedom to go after new business schmoozing on the town and at the country club on the golf course and tennis court.

Now -- Hubs and I run a small janitorial company. We need phones. Camera phones are really nice, because I can send a pic via e-mail of graffiti (they track for the police) or if a thing-a-me-deally is broken, I can call and say this thing is broken at unit # whatever and pic is coming and the property management co. can call the right person to fix it.

No need for texting, no need for e-mail. I have no need for directions because I truly believe the best part of getting anywhere is getting lost.

We were discussing this very thing yesterday and we both agreed -- all we'd use a smart phone for is IMDB...

As things progress, we might change our mind.

As for paying for it? Well -- Brother in law has his paid for, and most of the people I know that have smart phones usually have cut other things out they find unnecessary now -- like land lines. The smart phone is very important to them. You find a way to make it work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 10:13 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I could just imagine you twenty years ago showing your AOL email program to your parents. They probably replied "can you not wait for the mail delivery to bring a letter?"
LOL - good one. Although it would be nice to bring back the art of letter writing.

I don't have an iPhone, but my father recently purchased it for work purposes. As has been pointed out already, many find it to be an effective tool on the job and for other reasons. I have no use for one. I'm keeping my old nokia flip phone until it dies. Only need it for occasional phone calls and emergencies if they arise.

There's no reason to resist technological advances. Good for the economy and good for everyone in the long run.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:22 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post

There's no reason to resist technological advances. Good for the economy and good for everyone in the long run.
This is key. I quickly noticed that people who don't embrace advances tend to fall behind in both, technology and economics.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:24 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Here in LA it seems virtually everyone is carrying an iPhone. Many of these people I notice are also students with part time income or those that are in lower end jobs. I am truly surprised just how many people have one considering how expensive a device it is, especially the monthly service. Do you think this is just a reflection of our society living above their means?
Yes.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:43 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
NJBest, that's an interesting observation. Apparently, my spouse and I break the mold. Despite his 20 years in corporate information systems architecture, we have the fewest electronic devices of anybody in our social circle, something that acquaintances, when visiting our home for the first time, comment on frequently. For whatever reason, they seem to find it quite astonishing.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
NJBest, that's an interesting observation. Apparently, my spouse and I break the mold. Despite his 20 years in corporate information systems architecture, we have the fewest electronic devices of anybody in our social circle, something that acquaintances, when visiting our home for the first time, comment on frequently. For whatever reason, they seem to find it quite astonishing.
I suppose I should explain my observation better. Maybe embrace wasn't the best word to use. I think those who resist the possibility that advancements can improve some process in their life, are shooting themselves in the foot.

It's fine not to have a bluray player or smartphone, but to completely deny it having a place in society, economics and fashion is quite foolish and will restrict your very own progression.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:53 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Whatever, a bunch of consumerist sheeple whose values are completely out of whack. You know, keeping up with the Joneses seems to NEVER go out of style.

Oh, and BTW, NJBest, why don't you try volunteering as a way to help people instead of buying crap you don't need? I work at a food bank once a week. Quantify that.
Yes, you're a better human than us for eschewing modern technological advances such as the smart phone (and so modest, too).

...and yet I see you obviously didn't decide to forego the convenience of a little piece of consumerist technological advancement called "the internet", did you? Interesting.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:56 PM

I truly apologize to everyone for buying crap that I don't need.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:58 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
I think that discernment is key, rather than technology for technology's sake.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:21 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Just curious...what don't you have that most others do? There's a key difference between having the latest, greatest technology and keeping the same devices (i.e. tv, cell phone, computers, etc.) for several years. Doesn't necessarily mean someone is behind with the times, just that they see no need in replacing them until they break or they have other priorities.

The only person I know that doesn't have a cell phone or computer is my 87 year old grandfather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living