Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 01:06 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,198 times

Advertisements

I have one & it's mostly b/c it'll do everything except butter my toast in the morning...seriously. The other day I parked my car at a stadium that has over 12,000 parking spots, I used an app on iphone to find my car quickly instead of wandering about for a half an hour.

I don't buy phones often either, my phone I replaced was an ancient Sanyo from 2001 that ONLY would make calls, no camera, no internet, etc. The most advanced feature it had was voicemail lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 01:08 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
I have one & it's mostly b/c it'll do everything except butter my toast in the morning...seriously. The other day I parked my car at a stadium that has over 12,000 parking spots, I used an app on iphone to find my car quickly instead of wandering about for a half an hour.

I don't buy phones often either, my phone I replaced was an ancient Sanyo from 2001 that ONLY would make calls, no camera, no internet, etc. The most advanced feature it had was voicemail lol.
I don't need an iPhone. My car can find me!

Old 04-22-2011, 05:47 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Ilovemycomputer . . .

This is interesting. Let's take the thread in another direction and turn your question around. Others are welcome to join in.

What electronic devices (media or otherwise) would you expect to find in an upper-middle class suburban household that includes two adults, one teenager, and one elementary-schooler? Also, how many of each do you think do you think is typical?

Old 04-22-2011, 06:34 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
In that house I'd expect two find three cell phones, one big flat screen TV and 1-2 smaller ones, a digital cable or sat box probably with DVR, a blue ray player and probably an older DVD player plugged in somewhere else, at least two computers that are < 3 years old and probably an older laptop that has been passed down to a kid.

That doesn't include all the things that were once nifty electronic devices but are now essential/commonplace like garage door openers, microwave oven, etc.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:36 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
Generally speaking, people own things like iPhones and then they are also the ones who are complaining that they don't have enough money for food because gas is so high.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:15 AM

Good list, slackjaw. I'd add in at least one handheld gaming system, several iPods or other personal music players, and one gaming console like an XBox or Wii.

We have one personal computer (an HP Touchsmart) with high-speed internet, a laser printer, one iPod Nano, one cell phone (my spouse is a consultant and carries an HTC Incredible for both personal and work purposes), one flatscreen TV w/ a steaming-only Netflix subscription but no cable (a very recent addition to our previously TV-less household, which elicited much controversy from our social circle), and one digital camera.

As an aside, we do have a garage-door opener, but we do not have a microwave oven, which also seems to throw our friends and neighbors for a loop. (Doesn't anybody know how to cook using a range anymore?) Neither do we have two other staples of middle-class living: a cordless phone (we have one wall-mounted princess phone in the kitchen) and an answering machine.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 04-22-2011 at 08:03 AM..

Old 04-22-2011, 07:45 AM

I actually work at an Apple store as a genius bar tech associate. One REALLY funny observation I make is that many who come in to make appointments to see us are not serious tech types, most are people who see our products as fashion accessories.

I had a funny experience last week when a girl came in & needed help with her new iphone she just got. She got it to replace some HTC phone her parents had bought her. I about died when she said "I was always so embarassed to carry that phone around, those are very out of style and only for poor people."

Old 04-22-2011, 07:49 AM

Are you freakin' kidding me? What kind of HTC did she have?

Old 04-22-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Are you freakin' kidding me? What kind of HTC did she have?
It was an aria I think.

Last week was pretty funny at work, one customer (a guy) who I helped asked me out on a dinner date.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:13 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Ilovemycomputer . . .

This is interesting. Let's take the thread in another direction and turn your question around. Others are welcome to join in.

What electronic devices (media or otherwise) would you expect to find in an upper-middle class suburban household that includes two adults, one teenager, and one elementary-schooler? Also, how many of each do you think do you think is typical?
As we don't have kids, nor do few of our friends, I can't comment fully, but this is what we (two adults) have in our house:

- 4 cel phones (we each have a personal Droid cel phone and a work Blackberry)
- 1 landline phone (I used to work out of a home office, my wife still does - handy for long teleconferences)
- 3 laptops (one personal laptop and we each have one supplied by our companies for work)
- Media room with large flatscreen and surroundsound system
- DVD Player / recorder (with a built in VCR deck!)
- Digital Cable Box with DVR
- Wii
- Second, smaller TV and DVD player in the master bedroom
- Stereo system in the living room (proper, old-school component system with a turntable, CD player / recorder and a dual deck cassette player)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living