Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 07:48 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
How about freelance professional editing or proofreading? Where can one get info on doing that?

On the paying surveys, how do you know that they are legit, and not just trying to get your personal info?
I've made over $100 taking surveys for Opinion Outpost, but not all at one time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 04:33 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
So today I was registering for some surveys, I really felt as though the questions that were being asked were a bit to invasive, Anyone ever felt that way?

Old 08-04-2011, 07:07 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
So today I was registering for some surveys, I really felt as though the questions that were being asked were a bit to invasive, Anyone ever felt that way?
I don't do any of them. I don't like most of the questions, and the one time I did fill out a survey, what I got was a 'membership' to an online dating site. Plus it took me literally years to get rid of all the spam emails I kept receiving.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:55 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,549,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Writing books at home and selling them as ebooks on Amazon...
self publishing real time books:

About Blurb | Blurb

paper or e-book: Lulu Blog » Howto (http://www.lulu.com/blog/category/howto/ - broken link)

free service with pay for add ons: Online Publishing, Self Publish, Self Publishing | Wordclay

Now there's no reason to avoid fulfilling one's dream of writing & publishing : )

Old 08-04-2011, 08:22 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I don't do any of them. I don't like most of the questions, and the one time I did fill out a survey, what I got was a 'membership' to an online dating site. Plus it took me literally years to get rid of all the spam emails I kept receiving.

Some of the questions they were asking had nothing whatsoever to do with the survey.

I had something similar happen to me, the spam etc......I signed up for group-on and man the spam was out of control!

Old 08-05-2011, 04:52 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
We went on a "treasure hunt". go through every drawer, sofa cushions, old pockets, bottoms of purses, etc, fishing for coins. We took a jar to one of those coin count machines, net had $74! They take out I think 9%, but waive that if you use it at the store, we used it for groceries!

Old 08-05-2011, 05:05 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,815 times
A few months ago, we received a packet in the mail. We assumed it was just junk mail because we really don't get many things in the mail... but I figured "what the hell?" and opened it. We saw a few letters, a pamphlet, and $2????

The two $1 bills were brand new, so they looked really fishy.

I immediately looked them up online. Knowledge Panel is the name of the survey group. Everything.. is legit. You don't sign up for THEM you wait for an invite to happen -- apparently. Basically in the packet it contained info about the program and an invitation code. Our names were not on there as it went to "Resident" of that address.. but I had to confirm the code AND my address. They send these packets out to households at random. If you don't have a PC with internet access, they will send you a netbook with a modem so you can do your surveys! We didn't need it, but yeah that was interesting.

It's only been a few months and I have $125 in that account and he has close to $50 (I get more surveys because they care about young males in their 20s apparently, lmao). The surveys are always very short.. they are worth $1 per survey, though some range between $5-$10.. I even took one that was worth $40. You can request a check for every $25 in in there (aka $25, $50, $75, etc).

Though, this is just a VERY small thing. 4 months for $125 is hardly anything to brag about, but I am not going to cash that out until it's something we want. I'm refusing to ever cash that out because we need the money.. I'd rather gather up as much as I can and maybe have some spending money on a vacation.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:18 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,489 times
I belong to Opinion Outpost, Synovate, Valued Opinions, and Gongos oh, and Pinecone. I make the most each month from the Gongos community. I also belong to E-rewards and E-poll.
I don't do too bad, lots of Amazon credit.
Also I use Swagbucks for all my searches and 'win" swagbucks...for every 450 I get i cash out for $5 Amazon. I've made about $175 in Amazon in the past year just doing searchs and easy stuff.
Another thing I do, is deliver the freebie paper (not a 'from home thing") but for a couple of hours once a week, I make about $100 and I get excercise doing it. Plus, since I get it early, I check the freebie ads and have gotten good scrap to haul for recycling as well as just some very useful things

Old 08-07-2011, 06:45 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,574,700 times
Are you good at sales? If you are there is tons of money to be made working for tradesmen that do residential work. I was the sales manager for a paving company for many years and we had some guys that could make themselves $200 dollars every day just canvassing around the areas where we were working. The best bets for this kind of cold call sales are, paving, roofing, windows and doors, water systems, siding, security systems, landscaping and gardening services and others.

WE had one guy that looked a total wreck, I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him but he was a genius salesman. He used to show up around 10am and he would work until he made $500 in commissions. At 10% that's only $5000 in sales so it was about 2 driveways or so.
I used to tell him that if he got himself a professional salesmans job selling Insurance or something he would be a millionaire, but nope, he liked his transient life and his total lack of responsibilities and selling driveways door to door 3 days a week was all he wanted.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:51 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,694,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Opinion outpost, cint, pinecone, gongos, fgi surveys, and others I can't think of. I don't take many surveys these days though, just the ones that pay good.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living