Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 09:10 AM

5,475 posts, read 6,294,063 times

Advertisements

Besides working your regular job, what are some of the things people are doing to make extra money to help make ends meet? I have been going to a local flea market on Sunday mornings and looking for cheap antiques for resale on ebay. It's not as easy as it sounds, as you really have to know your stuff to make it pay off. I stick to the antique categories that I know well (antique glass and advertizing items) and I realize a fairly respectable profit most weeks. Also, my wife is an amatuer photographer and has been visiting local dog parks and animal shelter and taking pics, and has been selling some to various animal and pet magazines.

Neither of these ideas are going to make us rich, but it helps us make ends meet and helps pad our savings account, which is VERY important to us these days. I'm just looking to see what others are doing, and I'd love to hear your stories and idea. Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 12:13 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,037,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
what are some of the things people are doing to make extra money
Becoming a notary might be an option . . mobile notary public.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:22 PM

172 posts, read 509,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Becoming a notary might be an option . . mobile notary public.

That is a great idea, I will be looking into it.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:25 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
I make way more working overtime at my job than I could make doing anything else, and I need my schedule open to allow me to work that open time when it pops up.

I do some side work making web sites for side $$ at hotels though. Not a lot but @ $50/hr even a little bit adds up.

I looked into the notary thing (wife is/was a notary) but the field is pretty crowded already. The key is to network your way into the markets that require their use 24/7.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:52 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,017,648 times
We just signed a lease on a couple acres of farm land. We can't live on it, but we can grow crops on it. I'm thinking honey and citrus at the moment. It won't pay off right away, but should at some point in the future.

I also repair clocks, the old wind up or weight driven type. There isn't much demand for that, but there aren't that many clock repair folks around anymore, either.

My neighbor and I have been selling baby chicks that we hatch in our incubators. They are just small tabletop incubators but we've sold everything we could hatch out of them at $5 each.

My DH does "horse trading" of all sorts of different things. Mostly machinery related, but he's always interested in buying swapping or making deals with folks.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:59 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
Check into focus groups (google, I can't give names and I don't recall most anyway) - but they've come in handy for some extra cash occasionally.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:19 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,051,528 times
I did technology stuff for awhile, I went through college doing it and got several nice bonuses in education and experience to always be pretty knowledgeable (A+, MCSE coursework...but they lost funding on the tests and I went into finance). I did it for a bit off on the side, but stopped abut 2 years after I graduated. People just wanted cut rate technology repair...when I started to get calls from people who went to competitors because they cost a good bit less, had destroyed the equipment, then demanded I come at their rates to fix the mess the idiot made...I stopped even telling people I knew anything.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:57 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Check into focus groups (google, I can't give names and I don't recall most anyway) - but they've come in handy for some extra cash occasionally.
True. I've done this live and online for about five years. It's not lucrative. I make about $1k per year, but it's beyond easy and takes very little time.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:53 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,790,170 times
I do mystery shopping, but I don't really end up making money because I only do the restaurant shops. I do get two free meals a week out of the deal though!

Old 06-02-2009, 02:46 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,847,411 times
I flipped cars when I was in the military and put myself through college that way. Later on I had a lot of rental houses and have flipped about 50-75 of them. I've done some handyman jobs for others for cash or barter.

golfgod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living