Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:05 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,403,480 times

Advertisements

I tend to shop the "loss leaders" and use the crock pot alot.....

Once the holidays roll around, I'm planning on stocking the freezer with turkey (and a few hams too). I bought the meat grinder attachment for my KitchenAid mixer so I'll be able to grind turkey meat for meatloaf/chili/etc...

We eat 'breakfast for dinner" (eggs/omelets) at least once a week. And a "beans dish" maybe twice a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 10:09 AM

20,730 posts, read 19,398,885 times
Actually I have replaced beef with a lot of buffalo. Though I probably eat much less than the typical beef eater. I also pay for it by saving money elsewhere in the food budget with wild and home grown. I am frugal, not just cheap.

BTW, if you cannot de-bone a chicken in 5 minutes, you are not frugal. The problem is now though does your chicken have arsenic?

Some Arsenic With That Supermarket Chicken? | Mother Jones

Old 07-25-2011, 10:40 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,427,766 times
No, I don't have any children, so the price of beef isn't a concern for me currently. I buy the hormone free blah blah blah beef from whole foods because I'm paranoid. I normally eat about 2 steaks a month. I think it's a good source of iron, and I normally get cravings during my period. I also eat hotdogs and I pay more to be sure there isn't any "crap" in them.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:45 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,452,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I tend to shop the "loss leaders" and use the crock pot alot.....

Once the holidays roll around, I'm planning on stocking the freezer with turkey (and a few hams too). I bought the meat grinder attachment for my KitchenAid mixer so I'll be able to grind turkey meat for meatloaf/chili/etc...

We eat 'breakfast for dinner" (eggs/omelets) at least once a week. And a "beans dish" maybe twice a week.
I did that last year - bought 2 of them. Since I only cook for myself, that was a lot. I finally cooked the 2nd one in February. And then put the cooked meat in the freezer - I'm still eating turkey

Old 07-25-2011, 08:59 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,332,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
If you have a Trader Joe's near you -- egg prices are WAY low there.... our Safeway a dozen eggs are 3.29 -- At Trader Joes -- 1.49....
But only $1.19 at the Alsdi store and 0.99 at the local independent.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:22 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,297,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
But only $1.19 at the Alsdi store and 0.99 at the local independent.
Cool! We don't have Aldi's out here (although they are the same company as Trader Joe's)...

Old 07-26-2011, 11:34 AM

21 posts, read 58,642 times
Default I believe

I believe if we bought the beef regardless of price, it may help the cattle farmers. I do buy chicken more though but I try to buy some beef products every now and then.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:45 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,424,212 times
When my girls raised poultry for 4H - I was hesitant to eat the chicken that didn't make auction - I have always liked the pretty wrapped packages of chicken at the grocery store - Silly me - They are the best - and their average size was 9 lbs. Last year I roasted a 27 lb turkey that didn't make auction. YUMMY!! This year - with our move - I asked our church to distribute about 12 chickens and 3 turkeys to a needy agency or people.

Girls aren't doing 4H poutry anymore - and I have less acreage so I guess I'm back to store bought poultry.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:51 PM

983 posts, read 2,546,774 times
The only time I buy beef or chicken is when they are on sale, if they are not, then I eat tuna or something with beans. I have been thinking about going vegetarian for a while and I think now is the time to do that.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:25 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,692,370 times
OMG, I thought it was just me moving to a new town, the price of a burger is outrageous! But I am already meatless 2x a week or so, eat a lot of chicken, use half the meat a recipe asks for and add beans whenever possible. Ground turkey is fine for most things. Luckily the price of beef makes the price of fish more palatable. I have been eating a lot of Swai/Pangasia which is cheap and lite and not at all fishy and OH SO GOOD FOR US!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living