Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 09:52 PM

866 posts, read 1,137,427 times

Advertisements

some prescription meds not only can lose their potentcy but can also become toxic.
Had an elderly friend who had left over prescription ( over a year old ) when she went to use it again for the same problem, ended up in the hospital for a week ... almost killed her...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 05:19 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Still using the old Schilling/McCormick cans, huh?
I was about to tell you that after 3 moves, I at least have no more of those.
Then decided to check the cupboard....one can of Tumeric
dated 1977
I'll probably have it 20 years from now just in case I EVER find I need Tumeric for a recipe.

Well....last sentence is not so. I opened it,smelled and tasted it.
Not sure what it's supposed to smell or taste like, but I doubt if 'absolutely nothing' is the answer.
Threw it out

Old 08-05-2011, 02:33 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,833,257 times
Expired daily vitamins, I've taken and am still alive and kickin'. However, for over the counter and prescribed drugs, I would just toss them out.

Long before expiration date existed, we learned how to tell whether an egg is bad or not. Because of this knowledge, I don't toss out eggs when they expired by the date indicated on the carton. Besides the bad smell of rotten eggs, here are a couple of tips on how to tell if the egg is bad.

1) When you break an egg, done carefully, and you see the egg yolk breaks, it's a bad egg. This is so because there is a layer that protects the yolk. As the days go by, this protected layer becomes thinner and thinner. When this layer breaks as you find out when breaking the egg gently, the yolk is no longer protected. Thus, the egg is bad.

2) If you're not planning to break the egg such as in preparing for boiling, you can tell a bad egg if the egg floats in cool water. The ones sinking are still good. This is because the egg shell is porous. As days going by, air will seep into the egg. As air get into the egg, it shorten its life. When enough air is trapped into the egg, it spoils the egg and the egg floats.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:33 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,546 times
Thanks for that info NTT -

Old 08-07-2011, 10:34 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,624 times
I throw them out. My sons are pretty good at checking expiration dates on things. It's not worth the risk if it's past the date.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:35 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
I have a big bottle of multivitamin that is expired according to the date stamp. One part of my brain says, toss it, another part says, are you crazy? what would you do? do you stick with that expiration date on food or meds? I am good at using food before the expired date is due, but this bottle is my dilemma
Depends. Certain perscription medicines can be dangerous not that long after they expire - but most canned food is good for a year or 2 beyond the posted expiry date, may not be quite as good but perfectly safe to eat. Likewise vitamins.

You can go somewhat beyond the expiry date but for example chips, if they expired more than a year ago are typically quite stale - the oils have oxidized and taste is off.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:03 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Expiration dates have to be conservative because of the range of storage conditions.

Vitamins kept in a refrigerator will stay potent longer than those left in your car. The same goes for foods. Some nameless executive responding to a governmental mandate and slapping a date on a container is not a rational basis for personal inventory decisions.
Aside from baby food it's not the Feds who are requiring expiration dates, but rather corps that want you to think you have to buy a fresh one:

Food Product Dating | USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service

Old 09-18-2011, 12:58 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Plenty of things are good beyond their expiration dates. Like whole grain cereals, whole grain crackers, pasta..some of that stuff can last for decades easily. Cookies, chips, pretzels, candies, sugar(why that has an expiration is beyond me) water(like that ever expires!) lol
Other things like dairy, use the smell and taste test. Better to let someone else test it for you in case it tastes yucko.

The things to beware of are the meds. Most of them from over the counter to prescription are good up to 6 months after the expiration date.
Other things like eye drops, ear drops, etc should be tossed. I had an Aunt that used expired ear drops, (they had expired a year before she used them), she went into convulsions, was rushed to the hospital, went into a coma and she was on life support all in one day. They pulled the plug that night since they said there was nothing else they could do. Once I heard about it, I tossed out ALL medicines and now never go beyond the dates on them out of fear.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:39 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Do you have any concrete reason to think the ear drops caused the convulsions? That does not make much sense to me.

There are some antibiotics that actually get over-strong with age and should not be used beyond the expiry date though. Although it's not like they become radioactive the day after they expire.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:33 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,396 times
Doesn't the FDA regulate the expiration dates? The FDA is a government agency isn't it? I wouldn't believe or follow any government agency. Remember the old food pyramid? It was a lie. Remember your coaches in high school said to take salt pills to retain liquid? They are guessing and in my opinion science is far from exact. The earth is not flat either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living