Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 12:23 PM

782 posts, read 1,108,897 times

Advertisements

I dropped paid television in 2009..haven't missed it one bit. I have an analog tv with a converter box, not in a hurry to go digital, and an indoor antenna. No netflix, no hulu..I get about 4-5 real channels the rest are infomercial, religious etc...I really only watch one commercial channel and PBS...I am happy with my programming "package". Would I go back to paid tele....only if it didn't impact my wallet in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 12:28 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
Hello,
After years of cable, I am seriously considering not signing up for cable when I move to my new place. I am supposed to move in a a few weeks and I ordered a roku player a few days ago. Haven't received it yet so I haven't tested it out. I would like to know if some of you used to be cable addicts and cut the cord. How was the transition? Are means like Roku and Hulu+ enough to catch up on most shows? I usually watch shows from my dvr and never watch live tv so I wouldn't miss live tv. So please share your experiences if you went without cable and if you'd recommend it. Also, what internet speed would be decent for streaming? Cox, verizon or Comcast?Thanks for sharing.
It's been many years since my husband and I got rid of our television set. We have never missed it for a moment. At times we will go out to eat or have a drink in a bar and a television will be on and I personally cannot believe the crap that is passed off as "entertainment" these days. You would have to pay me to watch those shows.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-01-2011, 06:04 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,026,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nychuck View Post
Try hooking up an indoor antenna on a flat-screen TV. About $30 from Walmart. I get over 30 channels, many in HD here in Northern VA; a suburb of DC. I cannot believe the picture quality in HD. Better than any cable.

If an indoor antenna doesn't do the job try an inexpensive outdoor antenna. eBay has many sellers.

Depending on your location many of you will be quite surprised as i was after hooking this up.
I bought the indoor antenna and got......nothing. Darn!

I haven't tried one on the roof yet.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:05 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,026,719 times
I gave up on cable a couple years ago. Instead, I read, go out, and I'm building up my own DVD library. I think cable is way too expensive.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:26 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,419,134 times
Thanks for sharing guys. So, if you don't mind sharing, what internet provider do you use and how much is your monthly bill and in what area do you live? Im trying to decide on what internet package I need to get since im dropping cable, I dont wanna pay $100 on internet either. Thanks

Old 12-01-2011, 07:10 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,046 times
I haven't had cable in years; I just don't watch tv. I'll get movies once in a great while, but most of the shows on tv are total garbage & definitely not worth paying for.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:06 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,585,299 times
I dropped cable when I moved. Comcast minimal had gone up from around $10 to $19 so I quit in protest. I had liked watching the city council show on my public acess channel and I got the travel channel on my bare bones plan. In the digital age our public TV station runs 3 channels and one has a lot of travel shows so I'm good. Rabbit ears work fine here.

For entertainment I do netflix 2 disc plan. Plus videos and HBO shows borrowed from library. Internet is PeoplePC for $15 a month (dialup). It works fine for the basics and I go to the library for data heavy web browsing. A handy trick with dial up is you open 2 - 3 windows and read one window while the other one is loading.

Last edited by creeksitter; 12-01-2011 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: .

Old 12-01-2011, 08:11 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
Hello,
After years of cable, I am seriously considering not signing up for cable when I move to my new place. I am supposed to move in a a few weeks and I ordered a roku player a few days ago. Haven't received it yet so I haven't tested it out. I would like to know if some of you used to be cable addicts and cut the cord. How was the transition? Are means like Roku and Hulu+ enough to catch up on most shows? I usually watch shows from my dvr and never watch live tv so I wouldn't miss live tv. So please share your experiences if you went without cable and if you'd recommend it. Also, what internet speed would be decent for streaming? Cox, verizon or Comcast?Thanks for sharing.
Does one not need a cable hookup (or some other hi-speed source) for streaming movies?

Old 12-01-2011, 11:53 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,002 times
We haven't had cable for over 3 years (or any television reception at all for that matter...accidentally broke the antenna) and not once have I missed it.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:05 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,700,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Does one not need a cable hookup (or some other hi-speed source) for streaming movies?
One needs hi speed internet, such as a cable modem. Not sure if DSL can handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living