Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 02:46 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
IMO, Walmart and Applebee's customers do not represent the majority of Americans; neither do the contents of their shopping carts and their food order represent "the American way of eating." We all know that the narrower the demographic, the less accurate the conclusion, thus, I dare say had Ms. McMillan expanded her range of observation, the result would be a different book altogether.

Had she worked at Whole Foods, Wegmans, Trader Joe's, Hannaford, Panera, Noodles and Company, etc., her book would show that a great percentage of Americans are making a conscious effort to buy organic food at the markets, cook nutritious meals at home, and order healthier dishes in restaurants. But then again, she probably knew that many readers would prefer a book that concentrates on people with bad habits, since it would bring about the sense of superiority when they look at themselves.
I have to question why you put Panera on that list. Around here, Panera is the place you go to when you don't want to be health-conscious.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:10 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I have to question why you put Panera on that list. Around here, Panera is the place you go to when you don't want to be health-conscious.
Panera offers many healthy choices: whole grain breads, fruits, half-size order, antibiotic/hormone-free chicken, organic yogurts, organic cheese, etc. Their menu is not set so we always substitute one thing for another when we go there for lunch. Granted, we have yet to visit all Panera, but a great many locations in dozens of states (mostly for the free WiFi) and by visual observation alone, we have never seen an obese customer in Panera.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:46 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
IMO, Walmart and Applebee's customers do not represent the majority of Americans; neither do the contents of their shopping carts and their food order represent "the American way of eating." We all know that the narrower the demographic, the less accurate the conclusion, thus, I dare say had Ms. McMillan expanded her range of observation, the result would be a different book altogether.

Had she worked at Whole Foods, Wegmans, Trader Joe's, Hannaford, Panera, Noodles and Company, etc., her book would show that a great percentage of Americans are making a conscious effort to buy organic food at the markets, cook nutritious meals at home, and order healthier dishes in restaurants. But then again, she probably knew that many readers would prefer a book that concentrates on people with bad habits, since it would bring about the sense of superiority when they look at themselves.
i think you have it reversed. the applebees and walmart group is much bigger than the whole foods panera group.

you could do high calorie at panera, but i think you do do low calories pretty good there also. so id call it a good choice. if you get a salad with an apple, you are doing pretty good for a meal.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:36 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I am amazed when I see people at the checkout of the big box grocery stores with huge carts filled with gallons of sugary soda pop, chips, cookies, cheap hamburger, white bread, and all manner of prepared boxed foods, and no fresh vegetables or fresh fruit.
Actually, when you see me at the grocery store, you are very unlikely to see me with fresh fruits or veggies in my cart...but that is because I generally will buy that stuff at our local farmer's market (at least in season) rather than the store.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:48 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
the narrower the demographic, the less accurate the conclusion
Quote:
i think you have it reversed. the applebees and walmart group is much bigger than the whole foods panera group.
I take the first quote to mean that the narrower the demographic -- the less accurate the conclusion about a broader group, based on using that narrow demo information, and trying to extrapolate that out to a larger group.

Also the larger the group, the more variables ABOUT that group come into play.

For example, if only thousands of people shop at Panera, it might be easier to draw conclusions about them...vs. the millions that shop at Walmart.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:54 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I'd agree that purchasing brand-new appliances when you're living paycheck-to-paycheck is highly irresponsible, but if one can afford to replace working-condition appliances with ones that are new and match, I see no problem.

Frankly I'm truly not amazed anymore at what people will spend money on. There are NUMEROUS things that I would question why a person would spend X amount of money on but if they receive some type of enjoyment from that item, I guess it's not my place to say anything. I'm sure I spend money on things that others would probably be shocked at but I'm also not living above my means.

A few things that DO shock me that some drop some serious money on are:

Haircuts (especially for men). I've heard of men spending in excess of $200 on a salon-styled haircut. This, to me, is completely and utterly asinine. I have a hard time paying $15 for a trim, a $200 haircut would probably send me into cardiac arrest.

Books- I've been to high-end bookstores and have seen 1st editions of famous works going for tens of thousands of dollars! I absolutely see no value in this, why would you want a 300 year old book that costs $50,000 when you can buy the same thing for $19.95. I guess I can see if the book is personally SIGNED by Ernest Hemingway or someone famous but just for the actual BOOK?! NO WAY!

Jeans- (especially men). Why does a guy need a $200 pair of blue jeans?! I understand buying high-end clothing that'll last for years and years but blue jeans can be had for $30 or $40 and will last for years and years! I buy Wranglers and Levis, all of which look brand new, and cost about $40 each. What's the appeal of bluejeans that cost hundreds of dollars and might last HALF the number of years than a pair of Wranglers?! Don't get it...

3D Televisions- They cost in excess of $2000 each and offer a mediocre 3D experience at BEST, not to mention giving me a headache. Technology improves every day, why do some insist on buying the most HIGH END technology only for it to be outdated in 6 months?! Five years ago, a PLASMA tv would cost $3000, not the same television can be had for less than $500. Why buy the best technology right when it comes out?!

I really could go on but these are a few of things I question why people spend gobs of money on...

Anyone care to add to the list of what amazes you that people spend money on?

Of all these, the books are the ones I understand the most. The reason is that people arent buying these books to read, which in the case of that, the $20 book would work just fine. They are buying them either as an investment to sell to someone else, or as collectors item to display, not for their actual utility as a "book".

Old 04-24-2012, 03:21 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,507,782 times
Why don't they disable the Welfare program for the lazy and for the people who continues to have kids but can't afford it?

Old 04-24-2012, 03:28 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Im amazed people spend money on cheap toilet paper. I know this sounds odd, but I consider the pricier stuff an investment in yourself and your personal comfort.... :P
Me, too!

A roll of Scott will last a week; the cheaper stuff only a day or two.

This is true!

Toilet paper is one of the few areas where I actually think you come out ahead by buying the more expensive brand.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Why don't they disable the Welfare program for the lazy and for the people who continues to have kids but can't afford it?
Why? So we can be a country that doesn't mind letting millions of children starve because of poor choices their parents made and people like you who don't care?

Old 04-24-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I am amazed when I see people at the checkout of the big box grocery stores with huge carts filled with gallons of sugary soda pop, chips, cookies, cheap hamburger, white bread, and all manner of prepared boxed foods, and no fresh vegetables or fresh fruit. They are spending gobs of money on crud when they could reduce their grocery bill and eat so much better by purchasing fresh ingredients, not fancy, just the basics, but real food, not prepared. I guess the difference is that it takes time to plan meals and cook food with real ingredients rather than open boxes and eat. One can eat very well, and on a budget, if you are willing to cook using real ingredients. It does amaze me that people spend money on crappy food.
I am amazed that people actually pay attention to what's in other shoppers' grocery carts.

Sorry, but for me, I go into a grocery store to take care of my own business, get what I went in for, and get out and on my way as quickly and as efficiently as possible.

I really don't care what other people are buying - I am not the grocery "police" - and besides, should we really judge? Perhaps that person with the junk food is splurging for a kid's party or something, maybe not something they do very often, or maybe there's a family member with cancer who can't or won't eat "healthy" food. My own brother, during the last weeks of his life, all he wanted (and could keep down) were fish sticks and a little Kraft Mac and Cheese and occasionally a few chicken McNuggets from McDonald's.

I don't buy a lot of junk food, but I suppose there have been a rare occasion or two where somebody might have looked in my cart and passed instant judgement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living