Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 02:25 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Does anyone know if you can transfer your landline number to GV? We need to keep ours for biz reasons (hubby works from home)
I looked in this. From what I found doing a web search and looking at people's posts you technically cannot port (transfer) a landline phone number to GV, only a cell phone number. A few people were able to transfer their landline number to a cheap disposable cell phone, then transfer that now-cell-number to GV. The process took anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks, they reported. So it can be done, but it's a bit messy.

It may be easier with other voip services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 04:03 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Does anyone know if you can transfer your landline number to GV? We need to keep ours for biz reasons (hubby works from home)
If you mean having a specific number that happens to be the same as your landline number, then the answer is either yes or maybe. If you mean forwarding, then the answer is no. GV gives you the choice of requesting your number (I did with mine, and our children did with theirs) and keeping it for as long as you have the service, no matter the location, so at the time of installation, you can select the number of your choice if it's available (sometimes it's not.)

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 04-11-2013 at 04:13 PM..

Old 04-11-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
I wonder if it will still be free after 2013....?
They used to say it would be gone after 2011, then after 2012, and now after 2013. I didn't pay much attention to the proposed ending date then, and I'm not going to do that now.

My children, who have known quite a bit about this matter from the get go, told me that as long as the advertisements/related income sufficiently pay for the program, it will continue to be free.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:43 AM

324 posts, read 1,308,643 times
Can anyone link me to what I would need to buy to do this? Clueless here, but I do have a GV number already and would love to use it for home phone service.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotamidnight View Post
Can anyone link me to what I would need to buy to do this? Clueless here, but I do have a GV number already and would love to use it for home phone service.
This is the one we bought and have been using for the last 5 years: OBi110

Old 04-26-2013, 10:47 AM

324 posts, read 1,308,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
This is the one we bought and have been using for the last 5 years: OBi110
Thanks! After reading the description it sounds like it will work great for us. If I DON'T currently have home phone service, am I correct in that I can use the OBi100 instead of the OBi110 and save a little more? Or should I just get the OBi110 anyways?

Old 04-26-2013, 11:19 AM

Our children bought us the OBi 110 and that's what we've been using, without knowing what's what between the two versions. We've never had home phone service before, during, or after the GV installation so I don't think it would make much difference if you decide on the 100 instead of the 110.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:50 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotamidnight View Post
Thanks! After reading the description it sounds like it will work great for us. If I DON'T currently have home phone service, am I correct in that I can use the OBi100 instead of the OBi110 and save a little more? Or should I just get the OBi110 anyways?
We had non-VOIP phone service prior, and we bought the 110. I don't actually know what the difference is, but the 110 had been recommended to me.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:27 PM

I was looking around on the web to see if anyone had any thoughts about whether google voice would still be free in 2014.

There will be some changes coming.

Obi devices will no longer work with GV after May 15, 2014.

I'm not going back to a regular landline service, so it's time to investigate other voip services that will work with the Obi.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:51 AM

Zombie thread alert!

I'm bringing this thread back up because the time is almost to the end for Google Voice supporting XMPP service that worked with the Obi100 box. I got a good year+ of free phone calls with this set up. GV has had a few glitchy times along the way, but for free it's just great. Thanks to the folks on this thread who helped me find this voip set up.

For the past 6 months I looked all over the internet for ideas of how I wanted to continue using cheap or free voip service. I really wanted to keep using my Google Voice number. I like the features of GV, being able to look at my call history online, etc. And I especially like "free."

On the Obi forums lots of people are either going to another cheap voip provider (Obi will work with several different services) or using that other voip phone number for call forwarding to their GV number. That was more complicated than I really wanted.

I did finally come upon mention of the GVMate USB device for $30. It seemed like the next best thing to the Obi box. So I got one. I haven't set it up yet, still using the Obi till the end.

Instead of plugging into the modem like the Obi (our modem is always on) GVMate plugs into a computer USB port and the computer must be on for it to work and ring the telephone handset. I think this will work ok for us. I can check my email and monitor notices of incoming calls on my tablet when the computer is off. We have (tracfone) cell phones handy at all times too.

Does anyone else have plans of what they want to do with their google voice account after xmpp service ends?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living