Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 01:36 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times

Advertisements

There are a few of us in Chicago who purchase the Aldi products and try to figure out the producer of the product. It is Aldi corporate policy that they will not reveal who makes which products for them. And yes, the employees at the stores and at their corporate offices are tight lipped. Occasionally, there is a sticker on the cardboard box that might give it away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 01:49 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There are a few of us in Chicago who purchase the Aldi products and try to figure out the producer of the product. It is Aldi corporate policy that they will not reveal who makes which products for them. And yes, the employees at the stores and at their corporate offices are tight lipped. Occasionally, there is a sticker on the cardboard box that might give it away.
I ran an egg processing plant that supplied a major market here in SoCal - our name (or any kind of identifying info) was nowhere to be found on the egg carton.

But if there was a customer complaint about quality or a customer claimed they got ill, the customer was given our name and phone number.

Otherwise, isn't there some kind of mandatory food labeling now?

Old 04-06-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I ran an egg processing plant that supplied a major market here in SoCal - our name (or any kind of identifying info) was nowhere to be found on the egg carton.

But if there was a customer complaint about quality or a customer claimed they got ill, the customer was given our name and phone number.

Otherwise, isn't there some kind of mandatory food labeling now?

Most of their products have "Distributed by Aldi, Batavia, IL". If I have a problem, I am taking it up with them and let them handle the supplier.

By the way, their was a sticker on the shelving unit that told me where they get their eggs.(g)

Old 04-06-2014, 04:13 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Aldi is definitely adding lots of stores, so someone must like them
We have shopped for years now, and thank goodness for them. They brought us through a layoff or two. Thank you aldi.
Good for your basics: milk, eggs, Chicken breasts, ground beef, pork chops, etc. They have a great selection of cheeses there. Seasonal they carry some unique ones. Those europeans know their cheese, and chocolate
Their mexican food selection is decent too.
I think there lunchmeat selection could use some help though. Used to be better. Produce is hit or miss, and variety is again, hit or miss. Got some great plums there this past summer. And the little "mini" tangerines, cuties or something similar. Are very reasonable there.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:27 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
From my experience some of Aldi's products compare favorably to the brand ones and some are completely different. For example Aldi's oatmeal is good and I find no need to buy Quaker Oats. But I have found that some of their cold cereals are completely different to the brand names.

I think Aldi is fantastic. At least around where I live it is.
And I can usually get almost my whole list there. There may be some odds and ends such as artificial sweetener, worchestershire sauce, and things like that which I have to swing by the grocery store, SuperTarget, or Walmart to get... but other than that, I can get almost everything there.

I love their cereals. I think many of their products are actually better than their brand-name counter parts. And I would buy those products even if I saw them in the regular grocery store.

I love their Belmont Ice Cream.

Their chocolate pudding cups are better than the Swiss Miss, Snack Packs, or Jello kind I find at the regular store. I bought Swiss Miss at Walmart once, it was mostly sugar. I found the dominant flavor in the Aldi pudding was COCOA. As it should be.

Other things I like:

Cottage cheese
sour cream
Cheeses
Cheese crackers
whole wheat bread
pastas
spaghetti sauce
Off brand rice-a-roni (I taste no difference)
Frozen pizza
And many of their fruits and vegetables. I'm enjoying a bag of oranges right now that are very flavorful. I will buy carrots, celery, green peppers, oranges, bags of onions, bags of potatoes, green onions, heads of lettuce, tomatoes, bananas there.
I love their soft taco shells and taco seasoning.
Ground turkey, 1 pound, frozen in a roll. Under $2.00 each. I stock up on those. I use a lot of ground turkey. I use ground turkey for tacos, chili, lasagna.... I actually prefer it to beef in most cases nowadays.

Non-food... I guy dish soap there. It's called Reeva. For a long time I was buying Gain dish soap from Walmart. But I think Reeva cleans a little better and smells less perfumey.

Things I've tried from Aldi that I didn't care for....
Their sour cream and onion chip dip. Ick. I'll stick with Deans.
Once I bought some strawberries that went bad way too quickly.
Their Tostino party pizza knock-off wasn't too impressive. The sauce was like ketchup. (Besides, Tostino's party pizzas are very affordable ANYWAY.)

Aldi is great for buying your staples. Your flour, sugar, cooking oils, condiments, etc.
I still think Walmart is still a little better for most spices. (You can buy those 50 cent things of parsley, seasoned salt, garlic salt, etc.)

Old 04-06-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Aldi sometimes has variations of products that I haven't seen elsewhere. I like those. Some products seem to be inferior like their Coke substitute. I try to avoid those. Then there are the other products. I've tried some of the chips and other items. They taste funny to me. I'm not convinced they are inferior. I suspect I just have a brand type loyalty developed over many years. Aldi's chips may be made slightly different with different ingredients or flavoring. I don't favor them, but technically there is nothing wrong with them. Doesn't matter. I'm not supposed to be eating chips anyway so I avoid them and the other junk foods they sell there.

Oh yeah. Their "Coke" tastes weird. Very cheap.
I only usually ever buy their tortilla chips. Once I bought regular potato chips. Weren't the best in the world, weren't the worst. I think their tortilla chips and salsa is great.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I disagree with the pizza. Their $2 deluxe frozen pizza is one of the best tasting and value frozen pizzas out there.
That 1.99 pizza? That's pretty good. The crust gets a little tough though, if I put it directly on my oven rack. It doesn't exactly hurt my teeth, but I know I'm being tougher on my teeth than I need to be by trying to pull and chew. Gets a little hard. lol

So I just put it on a pizza baking pan for most of the cooking time, say 15-20 minutes. And then for the last 5-8 minutes or so I'll put it directly on the rack. Then it's perfect.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:41 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Most are pretty close, their Clancy snacks are very good. Been going there a lot recently since Safeway abandoned our region and now Aldi is the closest supermarket.
The Clancy corn chips reminded me of what Fritos used to taste like when they were good.

The Choceur candy line is pretty good as well. Other product lines are hit/miss at Aldi. I will say that the Kirkwood chicken products are atrocious.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPLove View Post

Things I've tried from Aldi that I didn't care for....
Their sour cream and onion chip dip. Ick. I'll stick with Deans.
Once I bought some strawberries that went bad way too quickly.
Their Tostino party pizza knock-off wasn't too impressive. The sauce was like ketchup. (Besides, Tostino's party pizzas are very affordable ANYWAY.)

Aldi is great for buying your staples. Your flour, sugar, cooking oils, condiments, etc.
I still think Walmart is still a little better for most spices. (You can buy those 50 cent things of parsley, seasoned salt, garlic salt, etc.)

That sour cream is probably from Dean's. (g)

Old 05-11-2014, 09:13 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
ALDI 101: What To Buy At Aldi | Gimme Some Oven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living