Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 12:24 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by want to learn View Post
I ran into a friend of mine and noticed his hair was gone. His wife had shaved his once long thick hair completely off. He was not going bald like a number of men who shaved their head, nor was he a cop or military, but instead, he was just frugal with his money. He does not look that great with a shaved head, but I have to agree, it does save him money.

His plan was to have his wife shave his head every week and save $200 a year in haircuts! What do you think?
That's what I did when I was 18 and didn't make much money. Bought some clippers for $20 at Walmart. Over 20 years later I still have a buzz-cut.

If all my investments paid for themselves as many times over as those clippers, I'd be in Warren Buffet territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 06:17 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
"It was not a bad gig, and after a few years I was not terrible at it."

This is seriously funny. I have a cramp because I'm laughing so hard.
Within a culture where you live underwater 7 months/year and will not see any females, most men just don't care so much about their hairstyle.

The only time it becomes critical is in the last week before we surface, they want to look good before they visit their wives or hit the bars looking for a GF.

There are only three basic styles in the Navy.
1- 1/4" all around, shave back hair and around the ears,

2- 'marine'; 1/4" on the sides and 1/2" on top, shave back hair and around the ears, tapered around the ears and across the back.

3- 'long'; which is 3" maximum hair length, nothing touching the ears or collar, shave back hair and around the ears, tapered around the ears and across the back.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:50 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,362 times
I always find the topic of frugality and haircuts interesting because 9 out of 10 guys will proudly state they cut their own hair to save money, but they are just using the clipper setting at 1 to buzz their hair. Anyone can do that. I would do that if I was going for the buzz cut look. Why spend $$$ on 30 second cut.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:17 PM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Very true, my hubby was fed up of paying for hair cuts & having them ignore what he said he wanted. So we bought a hair trimmer for around $30 & he cuts it himself & it looks so much better, paid for itself within the first 2 months.
When I moved to the south shore of Boston in 2001 I could not find a barber shop I liked. After several single visit attempts to a handful barber shops I ended up at a SuperCuts. The first time I went there, a young woman cut my hair and it was acceptable. The second visit to that same location I decided I wanted a simple buzzcut. It was summertime and my head gets sweaty with a full head of hair when I am active. When it was my turn in the customer queue, I ended up being served by a gay guy who gave me a hissy fit when I specified that I wanted a buzzcut. He acted like it was beneath him to do a buzzcut. I should have walked out then and there but I did not want to find a new place to go so I let him do the buzzcut. There were no issues with the quality of the cut but his attitude turned me off and I never returned to that location. After that I shaved my head for several years until I bought a pair of clippers and then I started giving myself buzzcuts. The clippers have paid for themselves several times over. I could probably buy a pair of basic clippers every year and still come out ahead compared to utilizing hair care businesses.

I haven't been to a barber or hair care business since 2002. That hissy fit really offended me.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:46 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Nothing wrong with that. But ultimately, saving $200 a year isn't going to make a big difference in your financial life. Now, I would never say that to a broke or indebted person, but once you reach a certain comfort level, saving an extra $200 a year just isn't a lot of money. But if it makes him happy and doesn't feel like a sacrifice, by all means go ahead and do it.....better than blowing $200 on a tattoo, IMO.
$200 here and $200 there adds up faster than you'd think.

I've been cutting my own hair for.... a few months shy of 20 years now.

Originally it was convince. I can cut it in the amount of time I'd take to get to the barber, and do it at 11 at night if I'd like.
ALSO: I get the quality I want. (I have very difficult to cut hair, and look very bad with a shaved head. ... not that in the beginning they didn't end up that way a few times.)

The cost savings is merely a very nice bonus.
(But don't make the mistake to think it doesn't add up. Similar "Inconsequential savings" I don't even notice now adds up to thousands a year.)

Last edited by Themanwithnoname; 03-20-2017 at 05:03 AM..

Old 03-20-2017, 06:01 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
No he isn't.

He's saving $200 a year and the OP says it doesn't look good and he has a good head of hair.

Saving money is cutting out the $5 Starbucks coffee in them morning(that would be about $1,200 a year), shopping around for lower car insurance, or not spending $500 on cell phone with an expensive plan.

Cutting your own hair can be a gateway drug to a more frugal lifestyle. You save $200+ a year on a simple change and it can make you take a look at other things in your life. Maybe next you get rid of cable, or dry cleaning, or start doing your own oil changes. Before you know it, the savings runs into the thousands.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:28 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,510,564 times
I am impressed by his creativity. It is a safe, legal, non-harmful, and creative way to save money doing something that is unique. to him and his wife for supporting him and doing the "dirty work."

Old 03-20-2017, 11:53 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Drugs last up to 90 days in hair.

I cut my own, but leave the top of it about 90 days long. No further comment.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:23 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Drugs last up to 90 days in hair.

I cut my own, but leave the top of it about 90 days long. No further comment.
If you need to take a drug test, chest hair works.

I mean... for those of us who can exceed the required 1.5"

Old 03-21-2017, 04:39 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Kudos to you women who help your husbands/BFs with haircuts.

Anyone go a bit farther to save $$ ??

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living