Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 07:58 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,629,469 times

Advertisements

*client's hair quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 04:54 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
:
I HAVE on occasion refilled my hand soap dispensers with shampoo that I have purchased that nobody liked and that would have been thrown out otherwise. No one can tell the difference between it and hand soap.

I have done that.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:17 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,629,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I have done that.
I have filled Bath and Body pump hand soaps (that I got for gifts) empty decanters numerous times with shampoo that doesn't work for us. The packaging is so pretty, I hate to throw them out when the actual B&B soap is gone!

Did you know that if you dilute it slightly with water, shampoo and cheap handsoap refills works just fine for those hand soaps that are "foaming hand soaps"? The secret is in the dispenser pump, not the soap itself. My elderly mother figured that out and told me. I didn't know that, thought is was some kind of "special" soap that "foams"

Old 03-24-2018, 03:44 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,483,802 times
I'll stick to shampoo for what is left of my hair.

After using dawn exclusively for dishwashing, and calling the roto router plumber every other year to clean out the pipes, I asked if that was normal.

He pointed to the Dawn dishwashing liquid and said " there's your culprit. It clogs pipes as it sticks to them".

Years later the housekeeping department complained the general manager order Joy dishwashing liquid instead of dawn. I said "you don't want Dawn, it clogs up the pipes". They said no it didn't, it removes grease. Just then the maintenance guy walked up, and with out warning I simply asked him " what does Dawn dishwashing detergent do?" Without missing a beat and no previous discussion, he immediately said "clogs pipes". He launched into a whole explanation about how it attracts grease by sticking to it, thusly it also sticks to pipes, etc etc.

So, NO, I won't be using Dawn for ANYTHING. I've had enough paying to unclog my pipes.

I'll stick yo a milder dish soap like Ajax or Joy any day, and haven't called Roto Router in 5 or 6 years now.

But I still won't use it for shampoo. I'll stick to Suave at the dollar store, thank you.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:27 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,932 times
I'll pass on Dawn - can't stand the fragrance they use in the manufacturing process.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:00 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,754,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
After using dawn exclusively for dishwashing, and calling the roto router plumber every other year to clean out the pipes, I asked if that was normal.

He pointed to the Dawn dishwashing liquid and said " there's your culprit. It clogs pipes as it sticks to them".
About as smart as a I'd expect a roto-rooter guy to be, and the sort of "I been doin' this thirty year and I know" bs you get from franchise service guys who bought a truck.

There is next to no way a detergent can clog plumbing. Clogs come from insufficient emulsification of the grease you're washing down, too much of it, and insufficient hot-water flushing after you do.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:27 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Remember, dish soap will also remove your hair color. Perhaps not all, but quite bit. Use very little of it, or you will struggle with rinsing.
Make sure you put a good conditioner on your hair after you wash it with a detergent.
It doesn't effect henna, which is what I use. I do a one time wash of the hair before applying the henna as it removes all the extra oil which makes it less good at absorbing the color. It also makes the color dye true. After rincing the mud out, I do a diluted Dawn wash, and then a good conditioner. It's hard to get all the henna out and it will remove it.

I only do this every month or longer so its not like I use it daily. But henna also strengthens the hair and leaves it much stronger than it was before if Dawn was used or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living