Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 02:08 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times

Advertisements

anywhere i can see a verizon fios bill (minus ? im planning to cut the cord but also weighing my options. i currently have an $89.99 triple play deal with comcast. after all the additions, im paying about $192 a month. im being offered a $79.99 triple play deal with verizon and i want to figure out what it will be ultimately. so i need to know the cost of all the add ons.

i know i can cut $20-30 off my present bill by getting rid of the extra boxes and buying a modem. so i want to compare what that will be vs if i take the 79.99 verizon plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 11:20 AM

3,143 posts, read 1,599,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
anywhere i can see a verizon fios bill (minus ? im planning to cut the cord but also weighing my options. i currently have an $89.99 triple play deal with comcast. after all the additions, im paying about $192 a month. im being offered a $79.99 triple play deal with verizon and i want to figure out what it will be ultimately. so i need to know the cost of all the add ons.

i know i can cut $20-30 off my present bill by getting rid of the extra boxes and buying a modem. so i want to compare what that will be vs if i take the 79.99 verizon plan.

We pay $52.99/mo for stand-alone broadband Verizon fios 50mbps (includes router, taxes). We use for TV streaming and all purpose internet. Have had for about ten years and no performance issues. Service has gone down about half dozen times due to power outages.

We still have limited basic from Comcast for local channels at $35/mo. (includes minimal equipment rental chages) and includes video on demand, which we use occasionally. We have a family netflix account which I believe is $11/mo. (paid by my daughter).

Thinking about going with direct TV now to pick up a few channels and replace Comcast limited basic but it gets too tedious and procrastination sets in. We are intermittent TV watchers and don't follow any particular TV programs (no DVR) so what we have is adequate for our needs.

Is there an app for entering viewing and technology preferences and getting recommended packages, rather than the other way around?

Last edited by Maddie104; 03-06-2019 at 11:50 AM..

Old 03-06-2019, 03:40 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

Your bill should have the add-ons, no? The router, STB, etc. won't change if you keep the TV.

I recently just got rid of my cable on FiOS (~$125). So it's now just 1 Gig for $80. This includes discounts for e-statements and payment by debit/ACH. My bill is just one line item - FioS Gig connection for $79.99. No equipment or other fees. I did get their extreme router from a previous promotion - but otherwise, you can just throw in your own router.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:26 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Your bill should have the add-ons, no? The router, STB, etc. won't change if you keep the TV.

I recently just got rid of my cable on FiOS (~$125). So it's now just 1 Gig for $80. This includes discounts for e-statements and payment by debit/ACH. My bill is just one line item - FioS Gig connection for $79.99. No equipment or other fees. I did get their extreme router from a previous promotion - but otherwise, you can just throw in your own router.
i have comcast, not fios. all of them have different things that they charge for or are included in their packages. for example, one big problem i have with verizon fios is they dont have a live streaming app. so if i want to have 5 tv's that i may watch; with verizon i need 5 boxes while with comcast i cant have 1 box and stream on the other tv's without any boxes.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:15 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Youtube offers these resolutions.
144p
240p
360p
480p
720p HD
1080p HD
1440p HD
2160p 4K
4320p 8K

If you want to see what quality you are getting, play this video. Then go to the settings and check what quality the video is playing in. For the record I can't even watch 8K on my 115 mbps connection, without getting the "Experiencing interruptions?" blue box. I'm not sure what speed you would need to watch that, but mine is not enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-RjGEWW3nk&t=140s

That is pretty cool. I watched it in 8K perfectly. I just did a speed test and here were my results.

PING ms 7
DOWNLOAD Mbps 94.91
UPLOAD Mbps 93.96

Somewhat less that your 115.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living