Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 02:58 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
So, bottom line, I think it's really great that people are taking all of the realities of parenting into consideration, and making informed decisions as to whether or not they really want to have kids or not.
Unfortunately, the people weighing all the pros and cons and deciding against having them (or maybe only having one) are actually the ones most likely to be good parents. The people not making informed decisions are the ones having a lot of the kids. I don't want to tell people how to live there lives--I don't have kids myself--but it's not a good sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 11:20 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yes, I know people who have decided not to have kids for financial reasons. This conversation came up just a few days ago. We discussed how expensive daycare is, and to buy a house in Silicon Valley meant they'd both have to work. So, they'd both have to work, could barely make their house payments and would have to pay for daycare, which they would also barely be able to afford....
Yes, daycare cost money. The parent can return to work once the child reaches school age, however, there could be after-school care costs if the parent doesn't get off work until 5 p.m. I have to constantly explain this to people who try to shame me for my choice to be a stay at home parent.

Old 12-02-2018, 01:46 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,791,580 times
I would have had them, despite being frugal. But my divorce ended that possibility. I'm not happy about it, though I do think about if I would have been able to retire if I did have them. I doubt it.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:24 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
I have worked with several women who have multiple kids each. All of them of groaned and moaned about how much money they would have if they never had kids. One complained so much about working extra and the money just flowed out because of kids. It was really sad to hear her but then I never asked her why did you have 4 of them????.

I don't have any myself, never wanted any.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:43 PM

24,619 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I don't know anyone who didn't have children for financial reasons.
I don't think many people would admit they didn't have children for financial reasons. Just like the ones who won't admit they did have children for financial reasons (tax refunds, tax benefits, welfare.)

IMO the biggest reason people don't have kids is time, they don't want to spend 18 years raising them.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:06 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Yes, daycare cost money. The parent can return to work once the child reaches school age, however, there could be after-school care costs if the parent doesn't get off work until 5 p.m. I have to constantly explain this to people who try to shame me for my choice to be a stay at home parent.
Well, that's probably pretty good payback for how you're always trying to shame people for working at service jobs.

That said, you don't really owe anyone an explanation for your life choices. The more you try to explain to those who think it's their business, the weaker you look.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-02-2018 at 09:23 PM..

Old 12-02-2018, 09:19 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
OMG, how annoying. I can't believe anyone would shame you for wanting to raise your own kids!

Old 12-02-2018, 09:31 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I have worked with several women who have multiple kids each. All of them of groaned and moaned about how much money they would have if they never had kids. One complained so much about working extra and the money just flowed out because of kids. It was really sad to hear her but then I never asked her why did you have 4 of them????..
When I was in my early 20s, I worked in a secretarial pool and all the other women were single mothers who had children before they turned 21. They hated their lives. They were broke and always chasing down the baby daddy for money. I decided that I would only have kids if I were married and in a financially stable situation. I did not want to wind up miserable like these women were.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:48 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
We don't want kids.

Money is not the #1 reason, but it's one of the reasons.
Ditto. By the time we got together and got Married, i was 37 and my OH was 41.i had long before that decided if i didnt have a child by age 40, i would not have any. It seemed unlikely at those ages, so we opted to not have any. I didnt want to have to worry about my SS covering college tuition also, i always joked. At 40 id be 65 when the kid graduated if they went to college or thereabouts .

I also think this is not exactly the best world to try and bring a child up. But then again except maybe the early boomers, maybe there may never have been any good time.

So for those plus other personal reasons, we did not have kids.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:37 AM

497 posts, read 422,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
Anyone decide not to have children for financial reasons? Was cost the #1 reason why you decided not to have kids?
Yes. For financial reasons, otherwise children's aid would apprehended them because we can't afford them.

We really want to have children. My husband can't find a steady job for the last 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living