Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 07:59 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
I am considering cancelling my cable, internet, and landline. Having doubts as to whether I could do it long term because I do banking and pay bills by automated payment transfers.

Anyone else made these changes and been succesful?
I have an unlimited data plan for my cell phone. $87/month Verizon. My iPhone will act as a personal hot spot, I just connect it to my laptop, and I'm good. It's a bit slow at times, but I can live with that. If I need to download a big file, I just go to the library and use my laptop with their wifi. Free wifi is easy to find. No cable, no landline.

Not long ago, a bank teller told me that connecting with the bank via their app on my cell phone is more secure than using wifi. I checked, and it seems to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 10:38 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
I live offgrid.

Solar powers my house, I hear primarily with wood, have propane for backup heat, HWH, and cooking.(Yes I have a microwave, toaster, etc)
My water is from.a cistern filled from.my metal roof, septic, I compost or burn my trash (get paid to recycle the metal, mostly melt and bury the glass.)

No lines to my house, I use my $68\month cell for talk, text, hotspot etc. (Unlimited, 15 gigs teathered)
No cable, mostly read, occasionally watch $1-2 pawn shop movies

Don't miss it.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:50 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
I have a hot spot on my phone. Videos come in the mail or from the library.

I print out my que and find 1/2 to 2/3 of the movies are available from the library, so the 2 video netflix plan works great for me.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:15 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
I don't have cable, not a landline. But I DO have Internet through a hotspot on my cell phone.

As for not having cable TV....I was a TV addict. And still love watching TV So I thought I'd miss having cable (especially Bravo and HGTV) more than I do. I actually don't miss it at all. My antenna gets me more than 60 channels...and you know what -- for me that's enough.

I'm not tech savvy, so I don't do any Hulu, Sling, Netflix, etc. I don't even know how they work. (What I miss most -- since moving from the DC area is the Public TV station WETA-UK. The only all British broadcast TV station in the country. I LOVED all those British shows. But I can't watch any more so c'est la vie.

Regarding not having a landline....I also got used to that easier than I thought I would. I guess the necessity of having to get rid of it, helped my psychologically accept I just don't have it anymore.

I don't see ever going back to a landline OR cable TV.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:20 PM

106,646 posts, read 108,790,719 times
We were out of service for 4 days last week . It sucked

Old 01-05-2019, 01:09 PM

18,065 posts, read 15,658,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I canceled cable and landline a long time ago. I won't cancel internet, though -- it's necessary in my daily life. Like you, I do my banking, bill paying, etc., online.
Ditto.

Canceled cable TV 9 years ago. Landline replaced with free VOIP (Google Voice and Obihai adapter) 7 yrs ago. I use broadband cable Internet and have a LAN with wifi. Internet is a necessary lifeblood for me.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:35 PM

5 posts, read 4,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My husband's identity was stolen because of a check I wrote to pay our rent. Nothing online about it...it emptied our accounts, cost us lots of time and the expenses of having things notarized and faxed, and 5 years down the road, my husband was arrested and spent a night in jail because of the identity theft. The charges were dropped the next day but the arrest stayed on his record, unless we wanted to spend $2000 on a lawyer to get it expunged.

If you still write paper checks, that's much riskier than banking online.
Good warning. We use money orders bought from the post office for .75 cents to pay the house payment.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:46 PM

5 posts, read 4,610 times
We have a landline and Satellite.
Tried cable tv once, hated it so wouldn't go back if it was free. We've taken to playing board games instead

Old 01-06-2019, 08:22 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times
No cable? No problem.

No landline? Err... maybe.

No internet? No way!

Old 01-07-2019, 04:58 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I canceled cable and landline a long time ago. I won't cancel internet, though -- it's necessary in my daily life. Like you, I do my banking, bill paying, etc., online.
I haven't had cable or landline in over 15 years. But no matter how expensive internet gets, I'll keep it as long as there is any way for me to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living