Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 08:16 PM

7,134 posts, read 12,672,910 times

Advertisements

Does anyone live in a town with a low cost of living?

Can you give us an idea of what your monthly costs are, including utilities (if you pay them and they're not included in your rent)?

Is there also a nice lifestyle there, with things to do that are not costly--like hiking, bicycling, and with some cultural opportunities??

Thanks for sharing...! Out of the U.S. places are cool, too, love to hear from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 08:20 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,452,897 times
Little Dolphin,

You may want to check on the retirement board. Yes, there are places that cost less to live, but it's all relative. What good is it to have low rent when you can't find a job that pays well?

Woofers

Old 03-30-2009, 09:14 PM

298 posts, read 716,389 times
Huntsville AL has a relatively low cost of living and a good job market for engineers and all of the support staff needed by government contractors. There is also a lot to do in Huntsville - hiking, movies, plays, orchestra performances, ice hockey games, minor league baseball, two universities with all of the university activities, an art museum, botanical gardens, space & rocket center, several other museums, the TN river and various lakes for boating, and a decent amount & selection of restaurants (for the size.) Shopping rivals nearby cities now (unless you like really high end stores. I don't feel the need to go to other cities now.) Restaurants could improve some. Also Bham and Nashville are each less than 2 hours away. Atlanta can be a less than 3 hour trip. I have more to do here than in other much larger areas I've lived in.

Average rent for a one bedroom is right around $600 based upon the apartments I've looked at. Two bedroom apartments are not much more than that. You can buy a nice house for $150-200K. Utilities are low per unit relative to the rest of the country, but air conditioning is needed in the summer and heating is needed in winter. Also, average commute is very short so gas expense should be low here.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:40 PM

Yes, this might seem like a retirement question but some folks, like my DH and I, work from home over the 'net, so we can live almost anywhere with a quick internet connection...

Old 04-01-2009, 02:23 PM

431 posts, read 1,220,352 times
Default Kingsport, TN

I live in Kingsport, TN (very eastern tip of TN).

Cost of living is supposedly very low here and houses are pretty cheap. It's all relative, though, because pay is also lower here.

It is a very BEAUTIFUL area to live in. The people are nice. Low crime rate. Lots of nice parks, mountains, etc. Within short driving distance of Bristol and Johnson City. Called the "tri-cities" area.

We have "Fun Fest" here every year. There is a yearly fair nearby in Gray,Tn.

My house would probablly sell for around 135,000 and it is 3 br, 2ba, split foyer built in '99.

We do have a very high sales tax, though. One of the highest...if not THE highest.

Winters are fairly mild, with little snowfall (sometimes we get a big snow, but not often). Summers can get into the high 90's. Humidity is a big factor in the summer !

We are in a good location as far as big storms....we don't really get tornadoes because of the mountains.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yes, this might seem like a retirement question but some folks, like my DH and I, work from home over the 'net, so we can live almost anywhere with a quick internet connection...
my friends who do likewise moved to the Virgin Islands (mainly for tax benefit, I haven't found islands to be too cheap for CoL, but possibly if you live like a local)

Old 04-01-2009, 02:39 PM

What a great idea, the Virgin Islnads went cruising there once in the BVI's on a bareboat charter and loved it, but I suspect I'd get Island Fever once the novelty wore off. Too used to the idea that we now can hop in the car and drive clear across a continent and access deserts, plains, mountains, and coast in one fell swoop. Find bustling metro areas and adorable small towns filled with personality.

Of course, I think one can discover most of that in Hawaii, too! Except maybe for the bustling metro bits. I was really impressed with the geographic and ecological diversity of the Big Island of Hawaii...absolutely gorgeous....dry, sunny Kona and lush rain forest Hilo are so different from one another...and the ranch land in between reminds one of California...and ah, the tropical fruits....

Old 04-02-2009, 02:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
But Hawaii has TAXES (not thrifty)

Go for a US protectorate (tax haven). Maybe Marianas, to be closer to NZ and further from USA.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:59 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
If you can truly live anywhere, I think some of the loveliest, yet inexpensive places are in the Ouachita Mountains (near Hot Springs, Arkansas). I personally think Hot Springs is a cool town but do your researhc first... Arkansas is not for everyone. If you do move there, look for a place in the mountain areas, not out on the plains. The plains towns get nasty winter storms and tornadoes, but the mountain towns are much more sheltered by the rolling hills and life there is pleasant.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:36 PM

Funny, the mention of Arkansas...it's on my 'bucket list' of places I'd like to visit. Have some friends that bought some land outside of Eureka Springs and they really like the area.

Me? I'm happy in almost any pretty spot in nature, with bonus points if I can walk on trails with my dog, canoe and be with friendly, calm people...hope to visit Arkansas sometime in the not too distant future...would be great to do some camping and ambling...

Thanks for reminding me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living