Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 10:46 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,241,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That's not frugal. It's cheap. If you don't want to buy a book, that's what the library is for.
That's the first word that came to my mind, too.

To the OP. Why don't you buy the book, read it, then sell it on ebay. At least, that's honest.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:36 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,521,829 times
There's also Paperback Swap (not just for paperbacks but for hardbacks and audio books, as well). Of course, you do have to be able to take delayed gratification, but it's a really good deal for those who are addicted to books but want to be relatively frugal. Or form a book swap group and meet once a month (or week!) to swap books.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:54 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,756,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyKid View Post
Theft? because I returned a book in excellent condition within the time frame to receive a refund.
Did you read the entire book?

It would be like buying a soda, consuming the contents, and then asking for a refund because...maybe you didn't like the way it's tasted. Stores will give the refund, but if you didn't like the taste, why did you consume the entire product?

By your logic, I should be able to get computer software, download it to the computer, then return the CD to the store for a refund. After all, I don't need the CD any longer if it's loaded on the computer.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:57 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,521,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Did you read the entire book?

It would be like buying a soda, consuming the contents, and then asking for a refund because...maybe you didn't like the way it's tasted. Stores will give the refund, but if you didn't like the taste, why did you consume the entire product?

By your logic, I should be able to get computer software, download it to the computer, then return the CD to the store for a refund. After all, I don't need the CD any longer if it's loaded on the computer.
Exactly! Good analogy!

Old 12-28-2009, 12:00 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,684,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyKid View Post
I like to read a good book when I see one. For as long as I can remember I have been buying books, reading them and returning them. I have done this maybe 25-30 times over my lifetime. I usually go to two different B&N's in my area to do this. I do this because I just don't see a reason to own a book when I am only going to read it once. I have very rarely kept a book I was planning on returning only because it was a really good book and I planned to give it to someone.

My ex-girlfriend started laughing hysterically when I told here this. She thought it was my right to return it. A previous girlfriend got upset when I told her about my book buying behavior. She called me a scammer and told me not to do it ever again. She told me to just go to the library and check out the book if I want to return it. The thing is that the library has a limited number of new releases and most of the time their is a 2-3 week wait list (sometimes longer) to get the book.

Am I too frugal?

I appreciate you being honest, but yes I think you are being too frugal? I shop a lot at a used book store in my town. It's the only book store besides walmart and the bible book store. I feel bad about buying at the used book store because I feel I'm taking away money frome the author, especially if I like the book. If I don't like the book, oh well, I'm out of luck. It's like going to the produce section, some times the pears are good and sometimes they are not.

I also pick up books at yard sales and thrift stores, sometimes I see a book I want at Krogers and get to pay retail.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:01 PM

181 posts, read 339,543 times
The OP enjoyed the fruits of the authors labors, then congratulated himself for not paying for them.

I would be concerned how far this lack of ethics extended into the rest of his behavior.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:05 PM

15,176 posts, read 27,926,062 times
And the rest of us are paying for it

Old 12-28-2009, 06:09 PM

50,482 posts, read 64,364,027 times
If you made your living by selling books or writing books would you like your customers to do this?

Old 12-28-2009, 08:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,230,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That's not frugal. It's cheap. .
You act like that's an insult. Well, it's not.

Those of us who are cheap and have money in the bank would be laughing at those of you losing sleep over maxxed out credit cards---if only it were not so sad and pathetic.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:29 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,292,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If somebody else makes non-negotiable rules unilaterally, it is not theft to conform with their rules. The store has an opportunity to examine the merchandise, and if they determine that it is in salable condition as new, and accepts it on that basis, in conformity with their own return policy, nothing has been done that is wrong.

I read "The Road", "Thirteen Moons", "Kite Runners" and several other books sitting in the easy chairs at Borders for an hour a day.
Hence the line between what is legal and what is ethical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living