Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 08:30 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,255,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You act like that's an insult. Well, it's not.

Those of us who are cheap and have money in the bank would be laughing at those of you losing sleep over maxxed out credit cards---if only it were not so sad and pathetic.
Well, let's try 'sleazy' then. Yeah, that works.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:30 PM

172 posts, read 415,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
What is more telling Monkeykid, is it didn't even occur to you what you are doing is wrong.
Exactly.

I am really surprised that you didn't think this would upset people. I think you just see it as an extension of the library system, because that is what you are doing... buying, using, returning... and yes, the store does have the opportunity to sell it again - so I am guess that is what makes it okay in your mind. Another poster said it all when mentioning what would happen if we all did this... all of those lovely bookstores would go out of business.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:50 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,491,492 times
Quote:

Those of us who are cheap and have money in the bank would be laughing at those of you losing sleep over maxxed out credit cards---if only it were not so sad and pathetic.
You know, it's entirely possible to be "cheap", to use your words, and have money in the bank, and be ethical - which this particular practice is not. What's sad and pathetic is thinking that it's necessary to indulge in unethical behavior in order to be cheap and have money in the bank rather than maxed out credit cards.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:31 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,562,960 times
Please stay on topic and no personal insults.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:17 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,683,128 times
Quote:

There is nothing wrong with being cheap.

Quote:
Hence the line between what is legal and what is ethical.
The OP said he has only returned books a few times. Yes, they are in good condition and the stores take them back. If the store takes the item back then it's the stores problem and they need to fix the problem.
Some stores (I don't know about any book stores) have return policies where they put in your personal information. I'm sure if Monkey Boy did this on numerous occasions they would put up a red flag.

Quote:
If you made your living by selling books or writing books would you like your customers to do this?
How many people download music? or Burn CD's without paying?

Old 12-29-2009, 06:37 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,080,292 times
Quote:
If somebody else makes non-negotiable rules unilaterally, it is not theft to conform with their rules. The store has an opportunity to examine the merchandise, and if they determine that it is in salable condition as new, and accepts it on that basis, in conformity with their own return policy, nothing has been done that is wrong.
Exactly.

I've got an anecdote that will really burn some people's bacon: A classmate buys the top-of-the-line calculator at Wal-Mart every semester and returns it at the end of the semester (within their electronics return policy.) The clerk at the customer service desk asked him why he was returning it, and he said "The semester is over and I don't need it any more." She said "okay" and returned his money.

The next semester, he bought the same type of calculator, and again returned it after school was out. The really funny part is that he happened to get the exact same clerk at the customer service counter, told her the exact same thing, and got his money back without her so much as batting an eye.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
There is nothing wrong with being cheap.

The OP said he has only returned books a few times. Yes, they are in good condition and the stores take them back. If the store takes the item back then it's the stores problem and they need to fix the problem.
Some stores (I don't know about any book stores) have return policies where they put in your personal information. I'm sure if Monkey Boy did this on numerous occasions they would put up a red flag.

How many people download music? or Burn CD's without paying?
The OP has said, in the original post:

I have done this maybe 25-30 times over my lifetime

That is more than "a few times", and he's also indicated that he does it as a matter of policy.

Also, people who download music and burn CD's without paying? Same thing, and it's stealing from the musicians (be they wealthy or poor).

Old 12-29-2009, 07:05 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,683,128 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
The OP has said, in the original post:

I have done this maybe 25-30 times over my lifetime

That is more than "a few times", and he's also indicated that he does it as a matter of policy.

I guess that depends on how old he is?

Quote:
Also, people who download music and burn CD's without paying? Same thing, and it's stealing from the musicians (be they wealthy or poor).
Poor Lars! He's going to have to save up for that tiki bar, instead of getting it right away.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:12 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,923,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyKid View Post
@20years

I do go to the library and that is always my first choice its just that sometimes I can't get my hands on what I want. I have met people who have literally read entire books in the bookstore without buying them. You know the type, the type sprawled out over the floor for hours. Are they thieves because they should have purchased the book? You will always see one guy with a stack of magazines sitting at the cafe drinking coffee, is he also a thief for not buying the magazines.
No, just really tacky. It's not something you would be wanting to boast about. It's crass and classless.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:15 AM

[quote=LABART;12207439]
Quote:

I guess that depends on how old he is?

Poor Lars! He's going to have to save up for that tiki bar, instead of getting it right away.
It doesn't matter how old he is. 25 or 30 times is way more than "a few"; it's a pattern and a deliberate one, at that.

As for "Lars", not all musicians are wealthy nor should it matter if they are, comforting as it might be to dehumanize them that way when one wants to profit from their work without paying for the privilege.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living