Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 12:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

We picked 3 more maters and a couple of lemon cukes. I don't have a clue what I am going to do with all the cukes!!!! I am pretty jazzed about the garden coming back to life somewhat. No, it isn't like years past and no, we don't have any bells or squash, but it is a lot better than I thought it was going to be.Oh and I am thinking pesto as well, but I sorta wanted to do it today or tomorrow morning: the problem, we are out of olive oil and I refuse to pay the price in the store when I can get it for 1/2 price at Sam's. We are heading there for our monthly visit Thurs. I can either forget about it and wait, or I can use a combo of a little OO and reg oil. I think I will just hold off and make it at the end of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 12:52 PM

242 posts, read 465,737 times
My Poblanos are a really good size, I'll cut off the top, scoop up the seeds then stuff them with a hamburger/ground sausage mix with cheese, onion, olive oil, olives and cooked wild rice then bake them @ 250 degrees for an hour. Two, is a good meal!

Old 07-24-2012, 05:29 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
Squashes, a jalapeno, an okra LOL basil and shallots. Din din w/ penne and squid "en su tinta."

Old 07-24-2012, 06:08 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
So far I have just tons of mint a good amount of basil and about 5 green tomatoes on three plants I'm hoping with turn into yummy ripe ones and there are a few more flowers indicating I might get a few more----and a couple of summer squash plants with what looks like a lot of male flowers and only one female (with a tiny squash growing). I wonder why there aren't more females?

I also just planted some sprouted red potatoes in a big container which I'll be adding soil to as they hopefully grow. I have some chives that have done well with little maintenance in my "permaculture" Pine/blueberry guild.

My blueberry bushes essentially died off (although I'm trying to revive them for next year). My cilantro also bolted and died off which I'm hoping will have reseeded itself and grow back next season.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:30 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Zucchini!!!! I did stem surgery last week on two of my plants for those white grubs - I thought they were goners. The clue was the baby zucchini were not growing properly - if they don't double in size within a couple of days, I always examine the roots. They bounced back, and then some! I got six picture perfect zukes (which I am going to sell) from those plants, and two funny shaped ones (which I ate). Ditto my yellow squash - five were infected, and all have survived and are producing nicely. Sorry, off topic, but that's what my garden fed me this morning! I harvested some small beets that needed thinning, and I'll make harvard beets for dinner later.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:50 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Zucchini!!!! I did stem surgery last week on two of my plants for those white grubs - I thought they were goners. The clue was the baby zucchini were not growing properly - if they don't double in size within a couple of days, I always examine the roots. They bounced back, and then some! I got six picture perfect zukes (which I am going to sell) from those plants, and two funny shaped ones (which I ate). Ditto my yellow squash - five were infected, and all have survived and are producing nicely. Sorry, off topic, but that's what my garden fed me this morning! I harvested some small beets that needed thinning, and I'll make harvard beets for dinner later.
Congratulations! I found a few of the other plants that borers got into. That's one of my tasks to do today after I get my "internet on."

Old 07-25-2012, 04:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
cherry tomatoes.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:21 AM

this morning I picked 2 more lemon cukes and a couple of tomatoes. I think I am going to pick basil (2 kinds) plus some mint this afternoon, mix it with the spinach, garlic, nuts and olive oil. I can put it into small bags and have enough pesto to last for a few months or more.

Nita

Old 07-26-2012, 10:54 AM

878 posts, read 2,738,061 times
a beautiful red scotch bonnet pepper

Old 07-27-2012, 05:03 AM

I did pick the basils and mint yesterday and make 6 cups of pesto. Today, I picked a few tomatoes just a couple minutes ago.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden