Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 04:44 PM

105 posts, read 618,285 times

Advertisements

Its time to wake up citizens, when you have no clothes on your back and no food on the table because all the bees and pollinating insects are destroyed you might feel differently!!! You are in for a rude awakening, and when someone in your family becomes sick, maybe then you will "get it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 07:05 PM

22,557 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Judicious use of RoundUp is NOT what's affecting the bees....

BBC Nature - Honeybee virus: Varroa mite spreads lethal disease

Facts are your friend!

Old 06-10-2012, 07:26 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
For the OP's aid:

Taken on a farm that needs them to grow squash, peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, melons,etc. Roundup is used in bulk. If they kill their bees they lose their crops. Knowing how to use what when from the flower beds to the mass acreage of farm crops is essential. Knowledge is your good friend.

Typical squash field the bees work in. They will work in a flower garden too. Roundup is a herbicide not insecticide.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:33 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Thanks for all the "informed" advice. I agree that knowledge is your friend and facts will set you free. I trust my friends in this forum who have proved themselves once again that they know what they are talking about. I will apply round-up with the methods that you suggested. Thank you.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:54 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy0133 View Post
Its time to wake up citizens, when you have no clothes on your back and no food on the table because all the bees and pollinating insects are destroyed you might feel differently!!! You are in for a rude awakening, and when someone in your family becomes sick, maybe then you will "get it."
I wear hemp. Bee's don't really play a roll in that. But I do like their (bee's) honey. So when that runs short I will be pissed.
I wouldn't spray anything in your garden. Get on your hands and knees and pull those weeds! The reward can't be beat.
Flowers? I couldn't tell ya. As long as I wasn't cutting them and using them inside I can't see the harm. But I still hand weed around my flowers.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:09 PM

You don't crawl on your hands and knees to pull weeds at my age and with spinal damage. I can handle a gallon sprayer of roundup. I can hit my target. Come daylight more photos of where roundup has been used in flower beds.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:20 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
I know a man who uses Round Up around his shrubs. He puts trash bags or some type of large plastic bags over the plants then sprays Round Up. Leaves the bag on for about 10 minutes after spraying. Weeds die and shrubs are fine. Said he's been doing it that way for years.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:41 PM

Woody stem plants are not harmed. Now petunias will bite the dust. I soaked the trunks of an orange tree, an oak tree, and a lovely hibiscus bush. All are well be grass is dead. Now the grass can't steal water and nutrients from non weed plants. In young non bearing commercial orange some gets on citrus leaves and the trees to fine.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:12 AM

105 posts, read 618,285 times
Here are your FACTS

From the American Beekeeping Federation

Pesticide Program Dialog Committee Needs Your Help: Beekeeper Survey for Pesticide-Related Bee Kills

Survey Data to Help Protect Pollinators
The Pesticide Program Dialogue Committee (PPDC) is asking for your help in protecting pollinators from pesticides by providing some information about your experience with pesticide effects on your bees. They are members of U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Pesticide Program Dialog Committee, an advisory committee that provides input to EPA staff and decision-makers.

The PPDC Pollinator Protection Workgroup (which the committee is a part of) has been tasked with evaluating the effectiveness of the pesticide label in controlling pesticide damage to pollinators and suggesting improvements in label language to protect bees. As part of this effort, the workgroup is interested in finding out if there are crops or locations that you know to be particularly problematic for acute poisonings (an acute poisoning is one that happens quickly and is usually a result of exposure to a high dose of a pesticide, where the word pesticide includes not only insecticides, but also fungicides and herbicides). A few questions will also be asked about longer-term hive dwindling and hive loss, and the workgroup will be looking for any correlations between your observations and the types of crops your bees have foraged on. Your help in gathering this information is greatly appreciated.

The information you provide is anonymous and will be grouped with other beekeepers' data, so you will not specifically be identified. If you would like a copy of the survey results, there is a box at the end of the survey to enter your e-mail address. This information will be removed prior to submission of the data to U.S. EPA.

Click here to take the survey. Please forward this link along to your beekeeping friends and/or colleagues in the industry. Input from urban and hobby beekeepers is welcomed, as well.

From beyondpesticides.ORG
EPA is currently reviewing neonicotinoids, including clothianidin, in a process that is expected to last through 2018. With one-third of our bees dying off each year, this timeline is nowhere near fast enough.

Clothianidin, a pesticide that is known to be highly toxic to bees, has remained on the market for nine years despite the lack of a single scientifically valid field study showing that it can be used in a way that does not harm bees and other pollinators. By not requiring the registrant, Bayer, to satisfy the legal requirements of registration, the Agency is failing to follow its own rules.

Clothianidin was rushed to market in an abuse of “conditional registration.” Conditional registrations account for two-thirds of current pesticide product registrations. We ask you to close this gaping loophole in our pesticide law.

EPA is supposed to license ("register") pesticides only if they meet standards for protection of environment and human health. But pesticide law allows EPA to waive these requirements and grant a "conditional" registration when health and safety data are lacking in the case of a new pesticide, allowing companies to sell the pesticide before EPA gets safety data. The company is supposed to submit valid data by the end of the conditional registration period. In the case of clothianidin, Bayer never did so.

Independent, peer-reviewed science shows that clothianidin – alone and in combination with pathogens and other pesticides – is likely a driving factor in recent pollinator declines. In the last few years, a substantial body of evidence has accumulated in the peer-reviewed scientific literature confirming that the use of clothianidin as a seed treatment on corn in particular presents substantial risks to honey bees flying over freshly sown fields, and foraging on the pollen of corn or of nearby plants that may have been dusted with, or have systemically taken up, this long-lasting pesticide. In the last year alone, three studies have confirmed that micro-doses of neonicotinoids act synergistically with pathogens such as Nosema to dramatically undermine immunity and increase mortality.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:23 AM

I see the facts first hand in the fields. Healthy bee hives with healthy bees and proper use of all pesticides period. Not some organizations agenda behind internet monitors. Farmers know they have to have bees. No crops without them. They pay attention to things city slickers never heard of. In 2004 3 devastating hurricanes did tremendous damage to the wild be populations and they have now recovered. People not in the know quickly blamed farmers. Really Pitiful. It's really bad to tell people that roundup kills bees when it is proven not to in the fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden