Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 02:50 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I've heard so many things since the 70's to try that didn't work I'm a skeptic. Even with Roundup. Partial kills common.
I do try to use home remedies and natural methods in gardening but sometimes out of frustration (and time) and end up at Lowe's buying snail and slug bait - the slugs ruined many of my pansies last fall - they literally finished them off in a couple of nights. This spring the marigolds proved a tasty dinner also. We have the fattest slugs, snails, deer and rabbits in the neighborhood...they eat well at our house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 07:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katwalk View Post
I weeded my shade gardens in spring by hand. What a job -- so much creeping charlie. I'm hesitant to use weed killer as I sometimes let my cat outdoors for a walk and he eats grass. Creeping charlie is back and you'd never know I weeded so carefully. Been catching up on some weeding this week since the humidity has been low but the respite won't last long. Most people around here treat their lawns for weeds, and I see their dogs out lying in the grass, so they must feel like it's safe, but I don't know.
if their dogs are still alive and kicking I am sure they are fine. We all need to use common sense, but we also need to realize these chenicals have been tested and are safe if used correctly and sparingly.

Nita

Old 06-14-2012, 11:22 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I do try to use home remedies and natural methods in gardening but sometimes out of frustration (and time) and end up at Lowe's buying snail and slug bait - the slugs ruined many of my pansies last fall - they literally finished them off in a couple of nights. This spring the marigolds proved a tasty dinner also. We have the fattest slugs, snails, deer and rabbits in the neighborhood...they eat well at our house

I have put plastic collars around my plants to keep the slugs away. I usually cut rings from old 2 liter pop bottles. You don't have to dig a trench or anything, just put them around the plant on top of the dirt. I saved my green bean plants with this method.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:17 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
I have put plastic collars around my plants to keep the slugs away. I usually cut rings from old 2 liter pop bottles. You don't have to dig a trench or anything, just put them around the plant on top of the dirt. I saved my green bean plants with this method.
Hey thanks!

Old 06-17-2012, 12:54 PM

13,626 posts, read 10,027,837 times
Don't use Roundup, if you suspect the roots of the weeds, may be in contact with your favoured plants' roots.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:57 AM

955 posts, read 4,089,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Don't use Roundup, if you suspect the roots of the weeds, may be in contact with your favoured plants' roots.

?????????

Old 06-18-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
?????????
What I said.

There is evidence that it is not a safe as previously thought, and it doesn’t work only as previously believed.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:54 AM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
What I said.

There is evidence that it is not a safe as previously thought, and it doesn’t work only as previously believed.
Please cite a credible source of that evidence.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:55 AM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:

I use RoundUp among other plantings all the time, with no ill effects.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Please cite a credible source of that evidence.

As for a credible source, who knows? (A quick search of the web will tell a lot)! All I can tell you, is that it's known within the Agricultural and Horticultural Industries, that there are problems emerging with the stuff.

P.S. I'm qualified in the use of all Pesticides, Herbicides, and Fungicides, and whilst training, we were given much information, that the public are not privileged to know, and much, that I'm bound not to tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden