Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:24 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,251 times

Advertisements

That spot behind the fence might be just right for planting some Hosta. The are so easy to grow and if you pick a larger variety that has some white in it would make some interest along a plain fence. After a couple seasons you can divide them too. You could add some compost and soil nutrients before planting but hosta are not heavy feeders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 05:36 PM

57 posts, read 46,011 times
At first I was thinking I'd have to just cover it with mulch and leave it alone. But yeah, I might go for a shade-loving plant.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:48 PM

16,276 posts, read 10,405,411 times
I think you are over thinking this entire deal. If you are doing research at the library and following the advise of 9 paragraph posts you will get overwhelmed. It's really not that daunting. I'd go to a garden center or nursery and explain your situation those people LOVE to help newbies.

First off you simply have to use that bare spot, provided it does in fact get 7 hours of sunlight. Besides you will kill 2 birds by getting rid of that ugly bare spot. I would suggest you grow simple things: green or red peppers are incredibly easy to grow. And of course you need tomatoes because that is the absolute best home grown veggie anyone can grow. Herbs are also great and easy. Some such as oregano and rosemary are perennials meaning they come back year after year. Oh yeah plant a few marigolds, the smell repels bugs.

If Virgina soil is anything like MD soil near DC you have a lot of clay which is not good. The garden center can hook you up with what you need to mix in, I would think a bag of peat moss and another organic matter would do the trick. One suggestion that will make weeding easier is to lay down a layer of weedblock, this is a black mesh material that allow water through but block the light so weeds do not take over. Just lay it down and staple it with garden staples (look like giant staples) When you plant your tomato or whatever simply cut a hole in the area you are planting. Weed Barrier, 20 year - Ground Cover Fabric | Greenhouse Megastore

Finally you need to consider rabbit taking your bounty. An easy fix is to line the garden with plastic fencing. Shop Blue Hawk 4-ft x 50-ft Green Perimeter Fence Fencing at Lowes.com

Old 03-11-2013, 05:51 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
Every gardener should have a a copy of this Ortho problems book close at hand to keep the fun in gardening.
This book might just be the only garden book you'll ever need it's that good. Mine has been in use for over 25 years solving problems for us.

The Ortho Home Gardener's Problem Solver: Cheryl Smith: 9780897212557: Amazon.com: Books

Old 03-11-2013, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the book recommendation! A few weeks ago, it was definitely starting to get confusing and overwhelming. I'm not looking to grow anything fancy this summer. I just want a few fresh tomatoes and maybe some extra greens. If I can do that, I'll be happy.

I have a basic idea of what I want to accomplish now. I looked online for a local nursery with a lot of good reviews. I'll go check them out soon.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:40 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,042,585 times
Great information and references in this thread. Thanks. My wife and I are going to start working on our planting beds in our new home and the info here will be very helpful.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:27 PM

16,276 posts, read 10,405,411 times
Good luck to everyone. I hope you don't have the problem I have. Every spring I get all gung ho and work like crazy planting this HUGE garden. Then every summer, as the temps rise, I find myself neglecting the thing because it's so big and daunting, it's hot, it's summer, and there are so many other things to do. So yeah even with weedblock I end up with a lot of unkept weeds. I always plant too many tomatoes and they end up falling over because I can't keep up with staking so many branches.

I have learned my lesson and have cut down the size of the garden.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:13 PM

374 posts, read 509,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I think its great that you are excited about gardening! First mistake, dont start too big, but plan ahead so whereever you put your first bed - it allows for growth. You could spend a little time putting together a plan on paper.
Which way does your yard face?
How many trees and whats the sun situation?
Do you have any septic to worry about or underground lines?
Figure out that sort of thing and getting a nice drawing on paper with what you want to accomplish this year is a good start.
Also start scoping out the different garden centers near you.
You might want to see if there is a Master Gardener Club near you, they often provide guidance to beginners.

Good advice about not starting too big. We did that our first garden,we planted too many veggys with too many different requirments for nutriants.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:17 PM

374 posts, read 509,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRedThumb View Post
Thanks for the book recommendation! A few weeks ago, it was definitely starting to get confusing and overwhelming. I'm not looking to grow anything fancy this summer. I just want a few fresh tomatoes and maybe some extra greens. If I can do that, I'll be happy.

I have a basic idea of what I want to accomplish now. I looked online for a local nursery with a lot of good reviews. I'll go check them out soon.
Basic soil test is always your first move. A compost thermometer is helpful too. We still don't have one so we have to guess and hope.

No meat,oils in compost. Also we alwasy use last years chicken manure,let it sit for a year. But you don't have to have animal manure,compost will work fine without it.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:04 PM

Yeah I'm totally going to test the soil here in a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden