Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 11:19 AM

675 posts, read 1,699,682 times

Advertisements

What is the conventional wisdom regarding ground covers around a home's foundation?

I've heard not to plant too close to the foundation. Makes sense for trees and larger plants, does this include grass?

Also I've heard that mulch isn't the best choice close to a foundation (reasons cited include moisture & termites) but when I look at different houses it seems like a lot of people do it. What's the story?

If not grass or mulch, is the best choice gravel? Does that have any gotchas?

Is there anything else I haven't thought of? (Well, maybe a moat...)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 11:37 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
1)Ensure base grade falls away from foundation.

2)Standard building code is California is a minimum of 4 inch of gap between foundation sill plate and top dressing.

3)Gravel/rock will allow for better drainage, air circulation and reduce beneficial conditions for termites.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:26 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
I pulled out all mulch and replaced with crushed rock. The mulch tended to retain moisture and neighborhood cats used it as a litter box when dry. Mulch naturally decomposes, which isn't something you typically want going on right next to your house, and definitely not near any wood siding. Places with bad termite issues like Florida you usually see a 2-3 ft border of rock around the foundation.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:29 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
Tribe,
Another thing to think about is what you are going to do if you have to
clean your gutters, or have someone work around your house on the outside.
If you plant too close to the foundation of the home, you will either have to
remove shrubs or accept that the workmen are going to beat your shrubs up.
Painting, working on windows, roof repair or replacement, really could be anything.
I planted 3 Feet from my foundation.
That way there is room, and I don't mulch next to the foundation either.
It is unnoticeable from the street.
But termites are horrible here too, so I had no choice.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Many vines like Ivy can go beneath the foundation or through a vent screen and come up under the house. The roots of trees such as Ornamental Cherry and Aspen will go under the foundation and sprout growth under the house so be careful what you plant near the house. If you have wood siding, keep any organic mulch well below the bottom edge so that 4" or more of concrete is showing. Grass roots are not usually as deep, but I would still keep it 2' from the foundation. A good mulch that looks like bark but will not attract pests or rot is made of rubber (old tires) and comes in several colors. It's a good choice for near the house.

http://www.costco.com/NuPlay-Playgro....11671313.html

Old 05-08-2014, 03:38 PM

675 posts, read 1,699,682 times
Thanks, all! Lots of great info

Old 05-08-2014, 04:00 PM

753 posts, read 1,103,991 times
Rubber mulch is one of the worst things you can put next to your house, in terms of fire danger. Maybe only pine straw is more flammable? Rocks, gravel, landscaping pavers, etc are really the best. Or bare dirt.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
Rubber mulch is one of the worst things you can put next to your house, in terms of fire danger. Maybe only pine straw is more flammable? Rocks, gravel, landscaping pavers, etc are really the best. Or bare dirt.
Perhaps not a good choice for the dry grass areas in California, but here in Seattle area and many other places it's not a problem.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:24 AM

753 posts, read 1,103,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Perhaps not a good choice for the dry grass areas in California, but here in Seattle area and many other places it's not a problem.
I saw a mulch fire once (in wood chips).... it was probably caused by somebody tossing a cigarette on the ground as they entered the building. This was on Newbury Street in Boston, hardly a wildfire-prone area. That was in wood-chip mulch which just sort of smoldered and smoked. The shredded rubber mulches ignite more readily than wood and burn hot with higher flames.... not something I'd want right next to my house, no matter where it is.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 24,671 times
I'm also in need of ideas! What can I put around my foundation other then plants or rock. I hate weeding, summer is to short here in Wisconsin to waste my weekends weeding. I plant all my plants in pots. I can't stand the rock cause all the tree crap gets in and makes it look like crap and the rocks attract hundreds of spiders (I live in the country side) Any suggestions? I also have a wood basement so I need to make sure no water collects around the foundation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden