Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 08:43 PM

546 posts, read 1,817,843 times

Advertisements

I notice some people in my neighborhood let their sunflowers grow in their front yards. Our neighborhood has a lot of established vegetation, it is older so some interesting things pop up in yards here. Some of it I love and some of it I think looks more like weeds. I'm on the fence about Sunflowers. If you had them popping up in your yard would you pull them out or let them grow? I think I would let them grow in the back yard if they were in some of my less formally landscaped flower beds, but wouldn't look right out front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 09:09 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Nothing wrong with sunflowers in a front yard!
Why do they bother you, when they are not even in your yard?

That said... anything is a weed that is growing where you don't want it to.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:01 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Definition of a weed is an 'unwanted plant'. Sunflowers are normally a popular plant, not considered a weed unless as said above you don't want it where it's at.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:43 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
The sunflowers are very important to the good animals of the outdoors.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:48 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
The sunflowers are very important to the good animals of the outdoors.
yes they are. Bees LOVE them. Helps with pollination. To me, they're a beautiful flower

Old 08-11-2014, 07:55 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
I notice some people in my neighborhood let their sunflowers grow in their front yards. Our neighborhood has a lot of established vegetation, it is older so some interesting things pop up in yards here. Some of it I love and some of it I think looks more like weeds. I'm on the fence about Sunflowers. If you had them popping up in your yard would you pull them out or let them grow? I think I would let them grow in the back yard if they were in some of my less formally landscaped flower beds, but wouldn't look right out front.
If I had them popping up, I would let them grow.
I love seeing them in unusual places, as if they've "escaped" from captivity.
I'm very fond of naturalizing in general, great for the birds and the bees.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:14 PM

409 posts, read 872,722 times
Sunflowers!! Uhhggggggggg!

Every year I buy sunflower seeds for my front and back yard. I rarely get a plant. Meanwhile they grow, well like weeds, on the side of roads and along highways where they get no attention at all I tried just throwing the seeds on the ground and leaving them alone. No luck

Old 08-11-2014, 11:04 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,740 times
A plant is a weed when it's considered invasive to the native population. A lot of exotic vines people have growing in their yards are weeds for a couple reasons. When they overtake native vegetation causing them to die, it's a weed. When it crowds out native plants for animals, it's a weed. There's one weed called velvetleaf where it can spread thousands of seeds and take over a yard. It becomes a hassle to get rid of, and I don't think it's native to the US. That is a weed.

Sunflowers on the other hand, are not weeds. They are all native to the US:

Helianthus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The fact they seem to grow effortlessly on roadside ditches, but not your yard could be indicative of some soil conditions. I would check soil conditions to see if there's an imbalance. Sunflowers can be grown indoors as seedlings for a couple of weeks before transplanting them. Mine are nice and tall, about 7 or 8 feet They are probably the most cheerful flower I've ever seen. Just about everything loves them, butterflies, birds, and yes even the squirrels in the fall.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:55 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Definition of a weed is an 'unwanted plant'. Sunflowers are normally a popular plant, not considered a weed unless as said above you don't want it where it's at.
How about this daffynishun :
A weed is a plant of which mankind has not found a use for yet.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:08 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Should come down here and I could take you to the Ohio River bottoms where a couple farmers will plant 20-30 acres of sunflowers for the wildlife to feed on. Deer love them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden