Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 10:32 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Ross View Post
My youngest is finally out of braces so this year I decided to grow sweet corn. However, I planted the corn next to a six foot privacy fence in the corner of my yard. The squirrels are perching on top of the fence, then jumping down onto the stalks, riding them to the ground, and eating the ears. Any suggestions as to how to prevent this. My city will not allow nuclear weapons.
large pinwheels set at different angles. they always move even in light breeze. also, a face scarecrow. picture of a person's face from a magazine glued on beadboard staked to ground. something about a pair of human eyes scares all kinds of critters.

i've tried everything, these 2 solutions actually worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 12:08 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,741 times
Buy a big bag of sunflower seeds. Toss it in one place, they will love it and leave your corn alone.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
large pinwheels set at different angles. they always move even in light breeze. also, a face scarecrow. picture of a person's face from a magazine glued on beadboard staked to ground. something about a pair of human eyes scares all kinds of critters.

i've tried everything, these 2 solutions actually worked.
Unfortunately, in many cases (like ours) there are neighbors around that like having squirrels (and even crows) around, so they feed them. They are not the least bit afraid of humans, even after I plunk them with an airsoft pellet they may just run onto the far side of a tree, and return as soon as I turn my back.
That's the squirrels, I don't hassle the crows, because they are evil, and will only do more damage for spite.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:20 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Unfortunately, in many cases (like ours) there are neighbors around that like having squirrels (and even crows) around, so they feed them. They are not the least bit afraid of humans, even after I plunk them with an airsoft pellet they may just run onto the far side of a tree, and return as soon as I turn my back.
That's the squirrels, I don't hassle the crows, because they are evil, and will only do more damage for spite.
In most states grey squirrels are classified as a 'game animal'. What that means is that you can only take them out during the state regulated season and you have to use the weapons they allow, follow the rules of how close you can shoot to other houses, and abide by their daily bag limits. When people have had enough, and take matters into their own hands, then the state can step in with hefty fines: NJ Man Arrested For Shooting Backyard Squirrels | Todd Starnes on Radio. Actually I remember reading about a man that had fines that added up to tens of thousands of dollars. I also do not think any state would take kindly to anybody harassing 'their' wildlife.

I am not trying to pass judgment on people, I know how frustrating it is to seeing the empty cob, of the fruit of your labor, laying under the closest large tree. This year was one bad year for my apple trees - very few flowers. There is no doubt in my mind that the crows and squirrels will take the few fruit that do grow. Many times they knock them off the trees before they even mature.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:30 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
telling you, pinwheels work, take 3 or 4 and put them at different directions so one starts and one stops randomly. no animals.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
In most states grey squirrels are classified as a 'game animal'. What that means is that you can only take them out during the state regulated season and you have to use the weapons they allow, follow the rules of how close you can shoot to other houses, and abide by their daily bag limits. When people have had enough, and take matters into their own hands, then the state can step in with hefty fines: NJ Man Arrested For Shooting Backyard Squirrels | Todd Starnes on Radio. Actually I remember reading about a man that had fines that added up to tens of thousands of dollars. I also do not think any state would take kindly to anybody harassing 'their' wildlife.

I am not trying to pass judgment on people, I know how frustrating it is to seeing the empty cob, of the fruit of your labor, laying under the closest large tree. This year was one bad year for my apple trees - very few flowers. There is no doubt in my mind that the crows and squirrels will take the few fruit that do grow. Many times they knock them off the trees before they even mature.
We have two problems with shooting. First, city law forbids the discharge of firearms within the city limits.
Second, we have both native Western Grey Squirrels, and Eastern Grey Squirrels imported from NY but some nut in the past. Due to the Easterns taking over, the native Western is classified as endangered so they cannot be killed. It's also difficult for the average homeowner to tell them apart.

I may have to try the pinwheels.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:52 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,225,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
telling you, pinwheels work, take 3 or 4 and put them at different directions so one starts and one stops randomly. no animals.
The dummy owl is losing the battle. I will try the pinwheels ... Hopefully this will be the ace I need to declare victory.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:42 PM

Reporting back. The pinwheels, they do nothing. I think I have mutated squirrels around the neighborhood.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:11 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,317,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Reporting back. The pinwheels, they do nothing. I think I have mutated squirrels around the neighborhood.
Red Fox pee? I thought he died a while back. I guess they kept some of his urine.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Red Fox Urine

Old 07-07-2016, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
Red Fox pee? I thought he died a while back. I guess they kept some of his urine.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Red Fox Urine
Eh, I bought something similar, though not pee but a really pungent spice mix. It worked but only for a day or two and it's really smelly, I mean really - by afternoon you can see a swarm of flies all over the garden. What's the point of growing flowers that has a nauseous smell and swarming with flies? Not worth it.

I'm giving up fighting them. I think people are feeding them elsewhere and my backyard seems to be a part of that territory. Why can't weeds be their preference of nutrition? Would be a perfect symbiotic relationship ... in a perfect world, right?

Well they haven't even touched the cosmos, nasturtium, and a few of my morning glories, surprisingly - poppies did not stand a chance to even settle and sprout. Them gnawing down my rose vines was the last fight I had in me.

Got rats coming from the sky too, getting into the beds and burrowing themselves in it to cool off ... wish I had a pellet gun ... or some bird of prey hahaha. The idea of having a pet hawk or an owl to attack on command seems appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden