Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 07:26 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,967 times

Advertisements

Cam, they look so amazing! When does your season typically end? I have had a frost as late as May 24th or so and as early as the first week in September at my house just since 2014, but the average last is early May and the average first is mid-October. We technically have a warm-weather crop growing season of around 159 days, but when counting the cool season veggies/greens with light protective cover, I can certainly stretch that to well over 200 days (early March through early November). I worry less about cold weather than I do severe weather which is the biggest threat for me. Nothing else really hampers the garden at all.

Looking forward to seeing your garden planted in the next week or so! Your peppers are gorgeous - I'm sure you'll be harvesting within a few weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 04:50 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
When does your season typically end?

I can certainly stretch that to well over 200 days (early March through early November). I worry less about cold weather than I do severe weather which is the biggest threat for me.
See, that's the thing.. My season pretty much ends in September. By then everything looks old, weak, and stops producing. Some years if stays hot, Tomatoes can last till October but pretty much end of line.

In September our lows here drops into the 50s and sometimes 40s by mid month. Daytime highs don't get into the 80s much. Only 7 days is the mean number of days for 80°+ in September.

So your season DOES last longer than mine. Interesting.

This is why topping off doesn't work for me. I don't have time for plants to start over so to speak.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:03 AM

Been over a week since an update.

May 10, 2018

Planting in ground earlier than the typical Mothers Day date. No more frosts or freezes so time to plant.

Eggplants: I bet they are like "FINALLY OUT OF THESE THINGS".

Close up. Nice root system! Bit congested. Note the cup that had the 2 plants has more obviously.

A reminder ONLY 1 PLANT per cup. Sucks you have to rip them apart now to plant. Should be ok though.

Eggplants watered and ready for mother nature to be nice.

Sweet Bell Peppers.. The thickness of the roots is what's awesome. It's only MG potting soil and organic fertilizer 4 weeks ago 10-10-10.

It looks like a little tree. Main stem nice and thick. Flowering already

Bell Peppers watered in and ready.

Took a ride to the farm, guess why..? Hint.... Not a Pony Ride.

Big pile of manure!

I never put it near plants, unless it's aged and rotted. Safer to just throw in the compost pile, mix it in, then spread the compost in the Fall.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:55 AM

It's party time. With no frosts or freezes coming up I figure they are ready. Weather has been pretty normal past week with day time in the 60s and nights in the 40s/50s.

For those that don't know.. If the plant is too tall or if you can't dig too deep, then dig a long trench and lay it on the side. Take the lower stems off.

Gently bend the plant upright and start backfilling the hole.

Like this. The plant will get thick and roots form along the entire stem in ground so don't worry.

I don't know any other plant you can do this to.

And we're off. Or is it "in".

I decided to do only 19 Tomato plants. Give them room to breath. I gave away 20 of them to neighbors and friends. they cost $4 each at the store. Of course mine aren't as thick but they all appreciated it.

Now... we let mother nature take its course.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:23 AM

Quick update: May 19, 2018

When I said May was a crucial month for the garden, I didn't mean to jinx it!

Only 7hrs of sun in last 180hrs here. (SEVEN). Rain everyday.
Haven't had a sunny day since May 11th.
Only 3 of last 10 days the max temp was above normal. The 15th it hit 80s but was cloudy. 70s twice. 50s/60s rest of days. On the 12th & 13th it didnt pass 50s as if it was November.

The plants are drinking but not eating. They need sun! See my raingauge? Everyday at 7am I report the rainfall amount and past 8 days in a row there's been something in it.. Hoping for a drought soon. lol

Left to Right:

Radish, Fava Beans, Eggplants/Bell Peppers, Potatoes, Onions.

Left to right: Kale, Spinach, Lettuce

That's really all I have to report.. Pretty miserable week.

Soil temp was consistently around 60 past week but now dipped into the 50s this morning.

Lastly..Guess what I got going today for heat inside.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:30 AM

4,187 posts, read 3,401,719 times
We're having the same weather. Our greens (kale, collards, chard) love it, and I'm on the third or fourth harvest, but the peppers and tomatoes...

Old 05-19-2018, 03:06 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
my squash is taking a hit with all this rain in sc so I picked some young squash this am and gave a few to the neighbor but my tomatoes are doing great and I'm glad this rain has not effected them but my squash on the other hand has taken a hit .

Old 05-24-2018, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
We're having the same weather. Our greens (kale, collards, chard) love it, and I'm on the third or fourth harvest, but the peppers and tomatoes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
my squash is taking a hit with all this rain in sc so I picked some young squash this am and gave a few to the neighbor but my tomatoes are doing great and I'm glad this rain has not effected them but my squash on the other hand has taken a hit .
Looks like it's turning around now. Hopefully. Need sun and for it to stop raining. We been stuck under a front for weeks and a High pressure in the Atlantic sending tropical moisture & clouds up the Eastern Seaboard..

Old 05-24-2018, 05:24 AM

So one of my garden challenges is the Eggplant... I never give up planting it each year... I looked back at my posts and it seemed like I had better success in 2012, 2013 & 2014... I have to dig deeper into the weather those yrs, I wonder if that's the reason...

August 15, 2013:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Harvest pic of the day.
Tomatoes, Cucumber, Kale, Swiss Chard, Hot peppers, Bell peppers, and Eggplant.

September 26, 2014:
Quote:
Here we are end of September Im usually ripping things out by now prepping for fall/winter. But nope... A warming trend has left the growing season to continue.

Green leaves, new blooms and red tomatoes going into October.

So after a late start we're having a healthy growing season.

Okra, Peppers, Tomatoes, Eggplants, String beans, all still going.

Sept 12, 2015:
Quote:
The other week I was happy to see an Eggplant forming.. My first this year and the only one... So I went out there to check on it yesterday. Goodbye. Ripped up and tossed. No Eggplants at all this year.
May 15, 2016:
Quote:
Yeah, and it figures my most challenged plant (Eggplant) looks like it gave up. Fun Fun.
2017: No Garden

May 23, 2018.. Here we go again with the only plant out there giving me a hard time, the Eggplant. I know why they are yellowing..... CLOUDS AND RAIN!!

21 Hours of sun in last 11 days and 10 of those days had rain falling. TOO WET...TOO CLOUDY! I will let mother nature decide what to do with them

Old 05-26-2018, 08:01 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
I need to take up growing some vegs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden