Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 12:54 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times

Advertisements

Yep. I'm sure this is the year my lawn will be the best ever. I've got fertilizer stockpiled and plan to apply the right herbicides and preemergents when applicable.

I finally got rid of every sticker bush in my yard (quince in this case), so I've got some room for some trees / shrubs.

It looks like global warming may have killed a distylium, which was supposed to be cold hardy to zone 6 (I'm 7b). So I may have to get a replacement shrub.

I've been applying my pruning skills and building up low spots in the yard and improving drainage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 01:14 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times
This is the first year I tried to grow anything in the winter. Not that Florida really has a winter. Anyway, I have a few tomato plants from seeds that are just about to have a bunch to be picked. I also have some peas, and jalapenos. Was just an experiment but I am definitely pleased with the tomatoes. Will try to show pics later.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:16 PM

343 posts, read 229,649 times
Oh yes I've been thinking. Actually most of my catalogues haven't arrived and I'm anxious about it. All I've gotten is burpee but my hierloom catalogues are late. Last year I planted convervatively because the year prior I invested heavily and got little yield (i do veg) but turns out it would've been the perfect year for tomatoes.

This year I'm due to do brassicas again- I rotate due to cabbage worms and will try more hierloom tomato and pepper varieties. But, I need to order stuff!

Old 01-10-2018, 03:21 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Already ordered some seeds...

Old 01-10-2018, 05:27 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,266 times
I cannot wait for garden time. I am starting to receive catalogs in the mail. Unfortunately, we have about 3 feet of snow on the ground right now.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:01 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
I will change planting zones from 6 back to zone 8 this year or early next year. I'm excited to explore some new drought-resistant perennials.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:02 PM

343 posts, read 229,649 times
We have snow too but it's warming up and will melt. I had bulbs coming up about 5 weeks ago because they thought it was spring already the weather was so mild. But, we had our frigid week and now I'm ready to go do yard work. Already thinking it'll be so hot soon.

Is anyone thinking of planting something new this year? I'm going to do ground cherries again. I got a few plants as a bonus from one company two years ago and they did well. They came back for a second year last season but grew less dense so I'm going to plant them again this year.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:16 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
After 8 years here in zone 8, I’m still frustrated by how hard it is to grow so many familiar, favorite plants. It gets so hot here that it’s hard to keep plants wet enough. Anyway, I’m always scoping out great landscaping ideas in commercial settings.....plants that thrive on neglect but still look good. If a plant looks healthy in a Walmart parking lot, I buy it.

Funny, but yellow flowers do well, but other colors poop out. I’m always buying non yellow plants, but they soon get overtaken by the yellow ones.

I resist the ubiquitous plants, but they’re everywhere for a reason....things like crape Myrtle, azaleas, camellias, etc. I just gave in, and ordered a camellia.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:37 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
yep already have my trellis put together for my cucumber plants and will plant squash and hybrid tomatoes this year since the heat here usually does in my heirloom tomatoes . Now for flowers I will have giant zinnias and candy stripe zinnias and pom-pom zinnias . It will look so pretty in front of my deck . Yes I think I will have a colorful and pretty yard again this year .And of course my beautiful roses in front beds . I take a lot of pride in my gardens and yard .

Old 01-11-2018, 09:09 AM

836 posts, read 1,778,469 times
What a coincidence: just a couple of days ago I decided to keep my mood up by starting to count weeks until spring... "12" is a small enough number to appear encouraging, right??

But April is not when I can actually start planting anything yet (Alaska)... but, at least, can start building the tiered planters/garden beds that I envisioned! Hopefully. Most of the snow should melt by then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden