Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 02:09 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times

Advertisements

Harvest late, would be my advice - a nicer, mellower buzz, that doesn't sap your energy.

My approach these days, is to place a clone in a bag, and put it in a swamp or soak. Snap the main leader and weight the laterals so they're growing horizontal, and forget about it for a while - not the standard advice, but it will deliver good results, with a minimum of hassle.

Last edited by Joe90; 02-24-2018 at 02:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 03:27 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Move to Colorado and I’m sure that they will give you all the expertise you need in growing weed.
Humboldt County, California would be better yet.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:08 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Way back when... When weed was cheap, $15 for and ounce, $100lb, but it was much, much weaker than present day strains. You would always get some seeds in your purchase, buds with seeds, leaves and some stems too. It seems (haven't partaked in decades) nowadays it looks like they harvest before the plant goes seed, ie: immature buds have no seeds, so where do you get your seeds? My friends and I would save some seed to grow some of our own. Just find a wooded area with a small clearing in soil that is good with some moisture and a handful of time released fertilizer. Figured it is a weed, should grow just fine given the right spot. We would randomly plant some here and there so they would just blend in with the rest of the plants growing around.. It worked very well. Maybe went by once or twice to see progress and harvest when ready. Never more than 3-4 plants, sometimes more for each of us. But we just let them grow wild, no pampering or trimming. It was only for personal use.

Did those woods belong to you or your friends? Several states still have laws which allow confiscation of property on which marijuana is grown.

A friend of mine once owned beautiful wooded acreage along a river, and would invite her friends for hikes and picnics a couple of times each year. On one such hike, a pot patch was found. She immediately called the sheriff to alert him that it was NOT her doing, and asked that it be destroyed.

Every state also has laws against trespassing, which are common law but usually are more diligently enforced when land is posted.

Nowadays, I also own rural wooded property, which is clearly posted at every entrance. I'd be pretty perturbed if I found evidence of trespassers using my property for their private pot farm, and if I found out who they were, I'd prosecute.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:14 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post

Is there anyone in here who tried to grow it in the 70's?.
I have smoked and grown weed at various times from the 60's to the present.

I started breeding, cloning, and growing hydroponically in the 80's.

In the 90's I was arrested and sentenced to a year under house arrest.
I consider myself a proud veteran of the Weed Wars.

About ten years ago I got a medical license to grow. It was legal to grow 15 plants.
But when Recreational stores became legal it pretty much killed personal medical growing with restrictions and registration requirements.

I liked to develop different hydroponic systems and when I retired from growing I was using an Ebb and Flow system with a 2x4 foot tray and a 70 gal tank. I grew various species of Hybrid Autoflowers in 6 inch rockwool cubes on cocomats. I used convertible ballasts that supported both MH and HPS lights that exhausted through the light fixture.

The lights, fan, and nutrient pump were on timers on a 16/8 light/dark cycle.
In the nutrient tank, the air stone ran constantly. There were sensors in the tank to monitor temperature, pH, and percentage of dissolved solids.The operation was housed in a 2x4 Rubbermaid cabinet.

Depending on the species, a cycle took between 8 and 12 weeks. Some special colas and buds were hand trimmed, the rest went into a rotary trimmer which separated the buds from the leaf. Every bit of the plants, except the woody stems, were used for either bud or oil extraction.

I built driers to accommodate colas and large buds, but the smaller buds dried on trays.
The yield per cycle was about a pound of dried product from 5 plants.

If I were going to do it again, I would probably use LED grow lights. They don’t put out the heat that MH and HPS do and they use less energy.

HOWEVER:

The ideal way to grow the best weed is outside in the ground with naturally composted soil, organic fertilizer, plenty of sun, and a temperate climate. But there are many drawbacks to outside growing including environmental and social challenges.

If you are looking for info and reference you can’t beat the books by Jorge Cervantes or Ed Rosenthal.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
There, I said it.

Well? Somebody needs to throw the first stone....

Now that it’s legal in many states for... er.... ahem..... medicinal purposes.

I confess I don’t know anything about marijuana but I understand there could be as many varieties as Crepe Myrtle?
depending on where you live: In some states you grow it so it is hidden; others you grow it in the open gardens.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:55 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
depending on where you live: In some states you grow it so it is hidden; others you grow it in the open gardens.
Unless you have no human population nearby, regardless of what state you grow it in, if you grow it in an open garden, it will probably be ripped off.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:52 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Unless you have no human population nearby, regardless of what state you grow it in, if you grow it in an open garden, it will probably be ripped off.
Yeah, if people will steal your tomatoes right off the vine, I guarantee your buds are no safer.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:03 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
It's the ones that grind up your tomato leaves and smoke them you have to worry about.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:34 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpuff View Post
they don't need to be scarified. you could just put them directly in the soil. i like to use the paper towel method myself. wet paper towel folded a couple times with the seeds in the middle. they usually germinate within a few days
I like to put the seeds into an 8 oz clear glass cup. I cover the cup with a paper towel. If the seeds are viable they will sink. It may take a day, but if they don't sink eventually, they aren't viable. I don't wait for them to sprout. I put them an inch deep in soil and put them under T5 lights. The little heads pop in a day or two. Very exciting! Keep the seedlings moist but not saturated and 4 inches under the lights. It's very cool to watch them grow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden