Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 08:28 PM

234 posts, read 162,039 times

Advertisements

Okay, I was growing cannabis since I was around 16 years old or so. To grow weed is easy, but to grow GOOD weed is a little more challenging. There are whole books dedicated to growing high quality cannabis.

If you are growing indoors, and want to grow a decent product, you're gonna want to at the very least invest in some HID lighting (Metal Halide, High Pressure Sodium, or both), a reflective hood for the light, a ballast to power it, a fan with ducting that will suck or blow stale air from the room to another room or outside, and another oscillating fan that is blowing on the plants continuously for air circulation. Grow light kits should run you around a few hundred bucks or so.

If you are growing outdoors, you need to be aware of the amount of hours of sunlight each day. Usually, most people will keep the lights on for 18 hours and off for 6 while the plant is in the vegetative stage (1-2 months). For flowering stage (usually anywhere from 2-4 months depending on if it is an indica or sativa strain) you will want to keep the lights on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours. It's really important that NO LIGHT accesses the plants during the dark period in flowering stage as cannabis is a photoperiod plant.

Also, if you live in the northwest like I do....you need to be aware that plants start budding out in FALL when the rains come. This does not make it easy to harvest a plant when your buds start molding before they are ready. Keep that in mind. Northern Lights for example is a good, easy to grow for beginners, and finishes earlier and i believe somewhat mold resistant. Sativas make for a poor choice growing outdoors in the Northwest because of the longer flowering time.
-----------------------------------------------
Seeds:
You can discreetly order seeds online. I like thesingleseedcentre dot com because you can pick single seeds to order instead of a whole pack and mix and match. I wouldn't recommend buying extremely cheap seeds because those are usually from questionable breeders and contain inferior genetics.

Fertilizing: Use a fertilizer high in nitrogen while the plant is in vegetative stage (I like liquid fish fertilizer) and then switch to one that is higher in P and K for flowering. Just like most other plants. Do not fertilize baby seedlings until the cotyledons have started to yellow.

Water: Usually every 3 days or so is good. Depends on your soil medium tho and how hot your room is.
-----------------------------------------------
That's some of the basic things to get you started. I'd recommend checking out rollitup dot org. which is a website filled with growers and amazing information, grow logs, etc. Good luck, have fun!

Oh....also, you'd probably want to start with FEMINIZED seeds when you are just starting out. That way you are guaranteed to get females (the plants that make smokeable bud). Otherwise, you will have to learn how to identify males and kill them before they release their pollen, or you will end up with pot that is filled with seeds and inferior. Of course, if you are interested in breeding or making your own seeds....then you'd want to grow out some of your best males for pollen. But that's a whole nother can of worms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 10:36 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpuff View Post

Oh....also, you'd probably want to start with FEMINIZED seeds when you are just starting out. That way you are guaranteed to get females (the plants that make smokeable bud). Otherwise, you will have to learn how to identify males and kill them before they release their pollen, or you will end up with pot that is filled with seeds and inferior. Of course, if you are interested in breeding or making your own seeds....then you'd want to grow out some of your best males for pollen. But that's a whole nother can of worms
Then there are the geezers like me, who actually prefer to smoke shake rather than bud. I know someone who knows someone ... and I still can get shake. Very happy to get it.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:32 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Lol, what a question, too funny.

Ok, well I don’t grow it or indulge but I think the requirements would be similar to any other plant, light, water, fertilizer. It would probably thrive outside during the summer months.

Good luck with your quest and I hope it helps with your ‘condition’.
I have heard it is pretty difficult to grow. One must make a certain investment in lights, etc. I have also heard that what you grow is nothing like the bud sold in cannabis stores, that there is a lack of THC/potency.

I have indulged in edibles, which I find in very, very helpful in relieving my hip pain. A half of a gummie will do the trick, so it is a minimal dose, a typical person used to imbibing would eat TEN gummies at a time.

Should I outlive my husband, another reason to relocate to New Mexico....

Old 02-20-2018, 09:42 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Start with putting 'Steal Your Face' in vinyl on the turntable, go down to the basement and turn on the grow lamps..........

Old 02-20-2018, 12:13 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
It's extremely easy to grow. Just plant seeds, allow access to water and light, and boom, it grows.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Then there are the geezers like me, who actually prefer to smoke shake rather than bud. I know someone who knows someone ... and I still can get shake. Very happy to get it.
i usually make hash with most of my shake/trim

Old 02-20-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
It's extremely easy to grow. Just plant seeds, allow access to water and light, and boom, it grows.
Yeah, anyone can grow a spindly plant that gives you a few grams worth of inferior product. But if you want to grow the kind of bud you get in dispensaries and get at least an ounce or two per plant, then it's a little more work. You have to deal with giving the correct amount/kinds of nutrients in the correct pH levels, different training techniques to optimize node spacing (i.e. LST, topping/fimming, SOG, etc), humidity levels, nutrient deficiency problems, bug problems like aphids, fungus gnats, spider mites ruining your crop ....bud rot, mildew/mold, etc. And then after you harvest you've got to properly dry and cure your flowers.

https://imgur.com/a/nzh6a

https://imgur.com/a/bX6v9

and this Malawi plant took half a year of growing before the buds were prime to pick. that's a lot of time for things to go wrong https://imgur.com/a/XP4lA

Old 02-20-2018, 08:39 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
You go down to the local dispensary and buy clones of whatever variety you like.

The clones will all be female. You have to keep them away from male plants.

There are shops all over Oregon selling all the equipment and supplies you need to grow. High grade is grown indoors hydroponically under lights.

Before you srart, find out if you need a permit. If you are growing more than the small number of plants for personal use, you are going to need a permit and probably need a permit to grow medical marijuana.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:14 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,128,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I have heard it is pretty difficult to grow. One must make a certain investment in lights, etc. I have also heard that what you grow is nothing like the bud sold in cannabis stores, that there is a lack of THC/potency.

I have indulged in edibles, which I find in very, very helpful in relieving my hip pain. A half of a gummie will do the trick, so it is a minimal dose, a typical person used to imbibing would eat TEN gummies at a time.

Should I outlive my husband, another reason to relocate to New Mexico....
Ok, gummies, edibles, not familiar with any of it. My desire to get high begins and ends with a glass of Pinot or beer with friends. That said, I have heard it has medicinal properties, maybe unlike what the OP is looking for, lol. It’s great you find relief from something that probably has far fewer side effects than OTC or scripts.

I’m a gardener and can grow most anything, but pot, no. If it was growing outside, it would probably just get stolen by some of the neighbors.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:51 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,247,261 times
my sister makes cannabis oil (legally in her state) and when I visited her I managed to save 6 or 7 seeds from her batch of refuse so she could try to grow some when she gets better. The seeds appear to have a hard shell and without doing any research on it, i suspect the seeds might need some light scarification to help it germinate.

I've never used the stuff but I think she spent over $200 for an ounce of the stuff but it seemed like a large quantity of material.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden