Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 12:06 PM

51,648 posts, read 25,803,785 times

Advertisements

We use Vicks VapoRub on chigger bites. The menthol seems to calm the itching until the bites heal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 01:01 PM

461 posts, read 508,892 times
Default Diatomaceous Earth

I would try diatomaceous earth which is a naturally occurring, soft, siliceous sedimentary rock that is easily crumbled into a fine white to off-white powder. It safe for use around pets and can be spread in your yard for the chiggers and ticks. It will also control bed bugs, fleas etc.. in the house. You can get it at Walmart, the pet store, or feed store or online.
I would prefer to treat the yard than have to wear insecticides or long clothing every time I wanted to work outside. I live in Texas and would roast in a minute. So prefer something to take care of the problem in the yard.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:34 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
rub your pants down with dryer sheets

Old 05-27-2018, 09:08 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Thank you. So it really works then? I used to hear about it but it seemed to me to have a fragrance. But I understand now since it's an oil. That could block them. Thanks.
Yes, it actually does really help. I recently thought mites were bothering me at night, so used a different type of oil-based shower body wash, and it seemed to stop the problem. So, it may actually be the oil more so than the fragrance.

The body wash with oil I used recently that seemed to work, had a lavender smell. I know lavender is used to keep scorpions from entering through windows, etc. So, that smell may also work.

But, I used to put the Skin So Soft on my daughter and myself when we lived in TN and it did really seem to help.

We just used it after taking a shower, while still wet, then rub it all over and dry off with a towel. Makes your skin soft, and whether it's the oil in it or the aroma, it did seem to keep the chiggers at bay.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:26 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
best stuff I found here in Tick Central. Spray liberally on your shoes and clothes and be tick free.

https://www.amazon.com/Repel-LIB3714...ords=permanone
Permethrin. Ticks eat DEET for lunch. It does repel chiggers, though.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:50 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,286,731 times
We found the best defense against ticks and chiggers was an immediate shower after being exposed. Don't put clothes on the bed or floor when you take them off. They immediately go into the washing machine to get washed so you don't have ticks crawling around the house to bite you later.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:06 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
It's not the heat that kills them. It's the dryness. Ticks require moisture to survive and will rapidly desiccate and die in dry conditions—and a quick spin in the dryer is all that's needed to crisp 'em to death. (Ticks can actually survive a hot-water run through the washing machine.)
https://www.outdoors.org/articles/am...-them-in-dryer

Old 05-28-2018, 04:06 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becki in Tx. View Post
I would try diatomaceous earth which is a naturally occurring, soft, siliceous sedimentary rock that is easily crumbled into a fine white to off-white powder. It safe for use around pets and can be spread in your yard for the chiggers and ticks. It will also control bed bugs, fleas etc.. in the house. You can get it at Walmart, the pet store, or feed store or online.
I would prefer to treat the yard than have to wear insecticides or long clothing every time I wanted to work outside. I live in Texas and would roast in a minute. So prefer something to take care of the problem in the yard.

This is a good natural source that can also benefit animals too, like helping with internal worms if they eat something that has been sprinkled with the diatomaceous earth. Please bare in mind that it also eliminates grub worms which can be a benefit, and earth worms which (depending on how you fertilize and aerate your soil) can be a negative.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
You are wearing long sleeves, long pants, hat, boots, right?? Best prevention.

Are you using OFF or Deep Woods sprays containing deet? Spray on yourself away from plants and animals

Chiggers are the worst....
right now hubby is covered with chigger bites. I feel so sorry for him. He forgot about the Off the first 2 times he went out and was only out doing about 15 minutes of yard work. He even uses it when he does the grilling.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:56 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
DEET for chiggers. Permethin or whatever it is for ticks. DEET does nothing for ticks. (I am nto positive about Chiggers, but I believe it works).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden