Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 08:08 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,408,589 times

Advertisements

I ended up spraying round up and planting pachysandra a couple days later, hopefully this will keep my weeds manageable in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 05:23 AM

83,553 posts, read 75,444,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Use PPE. Be smart with it. Not on windy days either. I've used drums of the stuff.

MANY things cause cancer that we don't even realize and yet are exposed to all the time.
Exactly. Not hard to wear a mask, long sleeves/pants, and not walk on area for a day or so after using it.. Wonder if the same people saying don't use Round up actually smoke, wear sunscreen, use baby powder, or get xrays on their teeth.

I tried that organic stuff on weeds...not worth it IMO. Not only is expensive but it doesn't produce results.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:38 AM

12,054 posts, read 8,446,795 times
I use a solution of vinegar and water for a number of household cleaning tasks.

Another gardener here who enjoys hands-on weed pulling. But a problematic area for me is my carpeted north-facing front porch steps. In the summer it's a good place for moss to grow.

I give the steps a good spritz in the spring, wait a couple of sunny days for it to dry out the moss and then sweep it away. Works like a charm.

The only down side is that the front entry smells like dill pickles for a while in the spring.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:49 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,735,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Landscpe fabric is a joke.
i have seen and heard about people using landscape fabric. ive encountered it on my property when digging up old bushes/trees that previous owners planted. i dont get it. dont the weeds come from above? i dont see how one would expect landscape fabric to stop weeds since they just blow around from the air not pop up from underground.

Old 05-04-2020, 09:20 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,361,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I use a solution of vinegar and water for a number of household cleaning tasks.

Another gardener here who enjoys hands-on weed pulling. But a problematic area for me is my carpeted north-facing front porch steps. In the summer it's a good place for moss to grow.

I give the steps a good spritz in the spring, wait a couple of sunny days for it to dry out the moss and then sweep it away. Works like a charm.

The only down side is that the front entry smells like dill pickles for a while in the spring.
Haha. Another example of beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and one man’s trash is another’s treasure. I would love to have a moss garden, and have tried unsuccessfully to grow one.

Old 05-04-2020, 09:54 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,070,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i have seen and heard about people using landscape fabric. ive encountered it on my property when digging up old bushes/trees that previous owners planted. i dont get it. dont the weeds come from above? i dont see how one would expect landscape fabric to stop weeds since they just blow around from the air not pop up from underground.

They don't always just pop up from underground but they can if certain insects carry the seeds underground beneath the fabric and then the seeds germinate underground and force their way up through weak spots in the fabric. The seeds of some kinds of plants can germinate on top of the fabric and send down one or more roots through a weak spot or through the weave of the fabric into the soil beneath the fabric. Just one hair-thin root getting through the fabric is all it takes for a plant to grow, or even to send out runners across or under the fabric and then the runners can send more roots up or down through weak spots in the fabric as they advance over it. Then they create their own organic material for their selves with their own old, dead leaves.

To give an example - on the roof of my highrise bldg. where I live I found a 25 X 25 ft patch of volunteer ferns that were growing on top of a layer of crushed rocks that were on top of heavy landscape fabric that was on top of another layer of round pea gravel which was on top of a sheet of rubber drainage membrane. Judging by their size I estimate they had been there for at least 10 years when I discovered them up there. The ferns had forced their runner roots and rhizomes down through both layers of the rocks and through the top of the fabric and down onto the rubber membrane beneath but they couldn't get through the rubber membrane so they spread out along the top of the membrane then back up again. They were in full shade from the elevator housing room on the roof but were sustained by moisture on top of the rubber membrane and by the minerals in the rocks and the shaded daylight they got. They then proceeded to create a layer of their own organic material on the top layer of crushed gravel out of old fern leaves as the leaves died back and decayed.

Last edited by Zoisite; 05-04-2020 at 10:03 AM..

Old 05-09-2020, 04:24 PM

83,553 posts, read 75,444,508 times
Here you go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmB26bC2B7E

Old 05-09-2020, 05:09 PM

Just sprayed some weeds with roundup this morning. I got a nice electric sprayer, I would highly recommend getting a good electric one. I had a good pump one but there is no comparison. So much better with the electric.

Old 05-09-2020, 05:32 PM

386 posts, read 327,660 times
Roundup (Monsanto) has lost a class-action lawsuit because it has proven to cause cancer. Why would anybody use it?
Monsanto also produced Agent Orange, a pesticide, to kill the plants in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War. Agent Orange caused many of our soldiers to develop lung, heart, brain and organ diseases. Use a vinegar, salt and soap mixture or get some exercise and pull them manually.

Old 05-09-2020, 05:41 PM

I also noticed that I seem to have less weeds than last year so I think this Roundup use is working out great and I need to use a good amount less than last year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden