Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 06:13 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
I mix 1 gallon of white vinegar, 1 cup of salt, and 1 tablespoon of dishwashing liquid. I usually leave it for a day or two, shaking it periodically until the salt dissolves. I usually apply it to the weeds growing between the brick pavers, and then re-apply a couple of days later. I use a sprayer. Keep in mind that this will kill everything. Good luck!
I was told NEVER to use salt, which kills everything off permanently, forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 07:03 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,049,929 times
I've had good results with cleaning vinegar which is stronger than regular vinegar. There's also something called agriculture vinegar but I've not been able to find it.

I spray it full strength on a warm sunny day.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:34 PM

1,122 posts, read 962,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
I was reading up on how vinegar can be used in a diluted solution to get rid of weeds, I want to ask how effective is it in real life? How fast are the results? Any pointers on how to best use vinegar for weed control? Thanks in advance.
I have been using vinegar for the last 10 yrs - I mix half and half water/vinegar in a spray bottle. I put in a little Dawn detergent. Best to do it in the morning and trust me it will kill them... it works.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:53 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,520,107 times
Default sasie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Use PPE. Be smart with it. Not on windy days either. I've used drums of the stuff.

MANY things cause cancer that we don't even realize and yet are exposed to all the time.

What is PPE? Thank you,

Old 05-15-2020, 05:45 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i have seen and heard about people using landscape fabric. ive encountered it on my property when digging up old bushes/trees that previous owners planted. i dont get it. dont the weeds come from above? i dont see how one would expect landscape fabric to stop weeds since they just blow around from the air not pop up from underground.
Landscape fabric is one of the best decisions I ever made. No more chemicals, vinegar, or hassle pulling and "digging" weeds out. Add mulch on top of the fabric. There are more weed seeds in the soil than that come from "the air".

Also, think about this....... Weeds cannot send roots into the soil because of the fabric so any that pop up are shallow and can be easily disturbed by pulling them with fingers or raking the mulch.

Take it from experience, weed fabric is perfect for anyone battling weeds. I will admit, it does suck for when you want to plant something OR if you have a bunch of shrubs and flowers because you have to cut around them. But worth the time and investment. Dealing with 90% less weeds is a plus in my books.

I did this area May last year...

This is the worst it gets. These are tree seeds. Easily can pull them. No digging.
Spoiler
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden