Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 10:21 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,134,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses, the reason I'm looking at vinegar vs roundup is due to young trees that have been planted in the same area. Also I plan to plant Japanese spurge afterwards to help choke out future future weeds from sprouting, I'm thinking that vinegar is the way to go since I'm planning to replant.
The vinegar will cause the soil to become acidic. Roots hate that. Rain will wash the vinegar deep into the soil. Tree roots hate that.

Roundup will affect all plants with soft green leaves exposed to the spray. Weeds hate that but spraying bark on a tree has no effect on a tree. Just direct spray so it hits weeds not tree leaves.

Salt will poison the soil. Would you water with sea water? Roundup is destroyed by soil particles so it has no effect on anything planted later. Roundup takes a week or so to kill weeds because it must move through the plant to the roots or buds to stop the weeds from growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 10:33 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,408,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
The vinegar will cause the soil to become acidic. Roots hate that. Rain will wash the vinegar deep into the soil. Tree roots hate that.

Roundup will affect all plants with soft green leaves exposed to the spray. Weeds hate that but spraying bark on a tree has no effect on a tree. Just direct spray so it hits weeds not tree leaves.

Salt will poison the soil. Would you water with sea water? Roundup is destroyed by soil particles so it has no effect on anything planted later. Roundup takes a week or so to kill weeds because it must move through the plant to the roots or buds to stop the weeds from growing.

Someone sent me a similar DM, I'm now thinking I'll use the vinegar for cleaning around the house and the round up to get rid of the weeds prior to planting the pachysandra, thank you for the advice.

Old 04-27-2020, 08:07 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,522,688 times
Default sasie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Round Up works better.

But......Roundup will give you Cancer.......it has been proven......

Old 04-27-2020, 08:28 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,984,272 times
Why not just use a hoe? I'm an old lady with a very large garden, and I do all my weeding with a hoe. It's not hard to do. Use garden tools, that's what they're for. No need to pour anything nasty on the soil...vinegar, or Roundup, or whatever.

Weeding is part of gardening.

Old 04-28-2020, 06:11 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,361,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Why not just use a hoe? I'm an old lady with a very large garden, and I do all my weeding with a hoe. It's not hard to do. Use garden tools, that's what they're for. No need to pour anything nasty on the soil...vinegar, or Roundup, or whatever.

And great exercise. I also find it satisfying and oddly therapeutic to pull each weed out by hand and watch as my bucket fills. The weeds have very shallow roots and the entire clump comes out quite easily if you get them young. This year, I’ve been weeding my entire lawn that way. It’s been a constant battle, but fun!

Old 04-28-2020, 12:23 PM

2,106 posts, read 1,936,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post

How big is your garden? Yes, one can manually remove weed but it can take weeks for a very large area.

I manually remove weeds from my vegetable and flower garden areas using all available manual methods: hoeing, digging, pulling and even pickaxing (for very rocky area). It takes at least two weeks each spring to clear weeds from the gardens and (total about 1/4 acre).

For the gravel areas of the property (almost 2 acres), we have no choice but to burn the weeds. One can not hoe or dig pea gravel areas and it take many months to pull out the weeds by hand. The first year in living here, I tried using vinegar in areas near the combustible juniper stands which worked only for few months. I now have to manually remove weeds in those areas. The weeds grow so fast and quick in the spring so it seems like a losing battle trying to remove them before seedings!

Old 04-28-2020, 01:01 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,984,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
How big is your garden? Yes, one can manually remove weed but it can take weeks for a very large area.

I manually remove weeds from my vegetable and flower garden areas using all available manual methods: hoeing, digging, pulling and even pickaxing (for very rocky area). It takes at least two weeks each spring to clear weeds from the gardens and (total about 1/4 acre).

For the gravel areas of the property (almost 2 acres), we have no choice but to burn the weeds. One can not hoe or dig pea gravel areas and it take many months to pull out the weeds by hand. The first year in living here, I tried using vinegar in areas near the combustible juniper stands which worked only for few months. I now have to manually remove weeds in those areas. The weeds grow so fast and quick in the spring so it seems like a losing battle trying to remove them before seedings!

We have a 250+ foot gravel driveway, and a zillion gravel paths throughout our property. I love using a hoe on gravel. I use a chopping motion on the weeds, chop, chop, chop, then rake it up with a rolling motion to sift the chopped-up weeds out. Makes the gravel look like new, and is especially easy to do after a rain.

It doesn't take weeks to weed a large garden, once you get the hang of it. It's not much different from sweeping the floor, you just need a rhythm. Do it once a week (takes very little actual time) so the weeds are always tiny...timing is crucial.

Old 05-01-2020, 11:38 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,195,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Round Up works better.
It does. I limit my use of Round Up but sometimes you have to use the try and true method.

Old 05-01-2020, 11:52 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,136,478 times
Retired landscape designer here. I swore I would never again try to persuade "vinegar kills weeds" advocate. But hope spring eternal. luv4horses said it correctly. Salt changes the ph of the soil -basically ruins it. Vinegar will kill annual weeds and it will kill the TOP GROWTH of perennial weeds but not the roots so they will come back. cardboard and newspaper will eventually suffocate weeds. tilling the soil only exposes long dormant seeds to sun and they will germinate. Landscpe fabric is a joke. I have made a fortune trying to remove mulch and old landscape fabric from beds. Mulch is best so it can break down and enrich the soil. I'm 73 years old and still use round up judiciously. Never on a windy day, spraying only on leaves of plants I want to kill, wearing gloves, eye protection and mask. I'm extremely careful and believe it still can be used safely and occasionally. Monsanto would not be as rich as it is if vinegar kills weeds.

Old 05-01-2020, 03:45 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,640,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
But......Roundup will give you Cancer.......it has been proven......
Use PPE. Be smart with it. Not on windy days either. I've used drums of the stuff.

MANY things cause cancer that we don't even realize and yet are exposed to all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden