Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2021, 05:53 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,203 times

Advertisements

I am trying to convert my Central Fl yard into mostly native plants. I haven't had grass in 10 years. Its slow but I am working on it. I am 77 now and can no longer spend the hours in the yards that require a lot of upkeep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 06:34 AM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I haven’t had good luck in GA with iris, which is a favorite, so this year I bought 6 Louisiana Iris at a botanical garden plant sale and they’re just starting to bloom.

I’ve never had Pentas, Flax Lily, Plumbago, or hellebores before this year. The southern gardens are beautiful right now.

Old 04-19-2021, 06:53 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,357,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I haven’t had good luck in GA with iris, which is a favorite, so this year I bought 6 Louisiana Iris at a botanical garden plant sale and they’re just starting to bloom.

I’ve never had Pentas, Flax Lily, Plumbago, or hellebores before this year. The southern gardens are beautiful right now.
Just added a Hellebore to my raised flower bed. Mostly shady with some afternoon sun. It looks to be dying. Any suggestions for why? Zone 9A.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:41 AM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Just added a Hellebore to my raised flower bed. Mostly shady with some afternoon sun. It looks to be dying. Any suggestions for why? Zone 9A.
I know nothing about them, but mine was big and robust in the pot and loaded with flowers when i bought it, and it still looks good. That doesn’t mean I won’t kill it eventually. It gets part sun in 8b. Maybe yours is getting over some shock? I assume you watered it in?

Old 04-19-2021, 09:35 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,357,577 times
^^^Same, robust looking with lots flowers when I bought them. Yes, I watered before and after planting. Maybe as you’ve suggested they’re going through shock of some sort. They’re still alive, just droopy and not looking well, and we’re entering our hot season, but I’ll just just have to wait and see I guess. (Nearby impatiens are thriving tho.)

Old 04-19-2021, 01:13 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Quote:
^^^Same, robust looking with lots flowers when I bought them. Yes, I watered before and after planting. Maybe as you’ve suggested they’re going through shock of some sort. They’re still alive, just droopy and not looking well, and we’re entering our hot season, but I’ll just just have to wait and see I guess. (Nearby impatiens are thriving tho.)
My hellebores do that every year at this time of the year (9b here). Yours might have suffered a bit of transplant shock if you've just planted them so make sure they have plenty of water right now while they take 2 or 3 weeks for newer feeder roots to grow and get established.

Autumn and winter is when they're at their most robust and showiest condition. Bear in mind they are really early winter bloomers and this time of spring in the 9 zones is also when they're getting ready to finish up with their winter bloom period and will be taking a seasonal break to grow new foliage. They'll get droopy and drop their expired flowers and a few of the bigger or oldest leaves will go limp, brown and die. After all the dead stuff has been removed they'll start to grow all new fresh green foliage from late spring to autumn and store up the energy needed for blooming in the winter months. By December they'll be setting new flower buds.

Keep the roots moist and cool through summer.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:16 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
I've always wanted Hellebores but in this climate they wouldn't bloom until April and I already have flowers in bloom by April. If they would bloom during the winter, I'd have them.

I ordered another ice plant. It arrived today from High Country Gardens. The one I already have already has one pink flower so this is the time. I discovered ice plant at a flower farm out in the country a few years ago but didn't go there last year due to COVID. And I don't know if they will have them when I go this year--wanted to be sure to have another one.

If I can get a photo sometime, I'll put it on here. For this climate anyway, it lasts year round and blooms all summer with no attention whatsoever. A spreading succulent with colorful daisy-like flowers.

Old 04-20-2021, 06:11 AM

7,489 posts, read 7,160,377 times
Definitely need to be watered regularly when first planted.

Mine are once again in full bloom starting in January and are still full of blooms.

Quote:

Old 04-21-2021, 06:33 PM

7,489 posts, read 7,160,377 times
Plumbago are just flourishing.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:02 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,546,655 times
I have a lone iris plant that someone gave us as a gift. I planted it without knowing what it was and it has come up the last two years. I think if I can find out what kind of iris it is I will get a half dozen more and have a little patch of irises. I would also like to add more tulips, which the previous owners of our property planted years ago, and still come up every year. Finally, I’d like to add more lilies, preferably yellow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden