Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2021, 09:01 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times

Advertisements

Today I picked up two bleeding hearts plants in the 2 gallon pots, they are a good size and blooming already. Tomorrow I will be planting them under one of the big rhododendron trees at the front of the building to fill in a now empty spot in front of the rhodo. I'm tempted to go back and get two more of them to put in the back of the building in the shade bed with the ferns, lily-of-the-valley, bergenias, columbines, coral bells and hostas.

Last edited by Zoisite; 04-21-2021 at 10:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 06:37 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,357,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Today I picked up two bleeding hearts plants in the 2 gallon pots, they are a good size and blooming already. Tomorrow I will be planting them under one of the big rhododendron trees at the front of the building to fill in a now empty spot in front of the rhodo. I'm tempted to go back and get two more of them to put in the back of the building in the shade bed with the ferns, lily-of-the-valley, bergenias, columbines, coral bells and hostas.

Sounds like a lovely shade garden. I had similar flowers in mine when I lived in zone 5B. The sight of lily-of-the-valley blooming through the snow was an encouraging reminder of approaching warmer Spring weather after a long, dreary winter. Also had a couple of large peony bushes that were bursting with magnificent flowers every year - it’s one perennial I would love to grow again if I could (alas not in 9a).

Earlier in March, I planted a hydrangea bush in a pot, and an azalea in the ground. Both look to be thriving, so I’m looking forward to prolific blooms next year.

Last edited by mingna; 04-22-2021 at 06:52 AM..

Old 04-22-2021, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I have a lone iris plant that someone gave us as a gift. I planted it without knowing what it was and it has come up the last two years. I think if I can find out what kind of iris it is I will get a half dozen more and have a little patch of irises. I would also like to add more tulips, which the previous owners of our property planted years ago, and still come up every year. Finally, I’d like to add more lilies, preferably yellow.
Might also look into adding peonies, hydrangeas, lily-of-the-valley, and bleeding hearts - all would thrive in your area.

(Loved seeing all the tulips at the Tulip Festival in Albany)

Old 04-22-2021, 09:45 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Sounds like a lovely shade garden. I had similar flowers in mine when I lived in zone 5B. The sight of lily-of-the-valley blooming through the snow was an encouraging reminder of approaching warmer Spring weather after a long, dreary winter. Also had a couple of large peony bushes that were bursting with magnificent flowers every year - it’s one perennial I would love to grow again if I could (alas not in 9a).

Earlier in March, I planted a hydrangea bush in a pot, and an azalea in the ground. Both look to be thriving, so I’m looking forward to prolific blooms next year.
I don't know where you live (do you get winters below 45 degrees?) but maybe you could try at least one peony to see what happens. I live in zone 9b on the west coast and have 4 peonies growing in an area that gets full sun from 7 am until 2 pm and then shade for the rest of the day. The biggest one is in a 3 ft high concrete raised bed and the other 3 are planted directly in the ground under the pieris (andromeda) trees. During the winter as long as the average daily temperatures are below 45 F degrees during December and/or January they get the winter chill they need to set blooms for the spring.

Check out the Treehugger information here about how you can "trick" peonies in warm zones: https://www.treehugger.com/how-to-gr...20says%20Gagan.

Last edited by Zoisite; 04-22-2021 at 10:02 AM..

Old 04-22-2021, 12:23 PM

It gets way too hot for way too long for peonies in my area. It’s not moderated by proximity to the cooling effects of the Pacific Ocean. I don’t recall even seeing any peony plants in my local garden centers.

(Tulips here are grown as annuals.)

Old 04-22-2021, 04:12 PM

7,489 posts, read 7,160,377 times
Coreopsis having strong growth

Old 04-25-2021, 08:43 AM

Perennials are flourishing with last nights rain and temps continuing to rise near 85’ by the middle of the week.

Might need to stop by the nursery today and pick up a couple of the new hybrid butterfly bushes.

Old 04-25-2021, 04:09 PM

Picked up 3 butterfly bushes and cannot wait to get them in the ground.

Old 04-27-2021, 01:25 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I just visited a wonderful big nursery in Southern Pines, NC and picked up a few new things. Blue Pentas, deep pink geraniums, and a Hot Lips salvia. After being gone for 5 days, our garden was fine.

Old 04-27-2021, 01:26 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Picked up 3 butterfly bushes and cannot wait to get them in the ground.
I plan to get a couple of those also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden