Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 12:23 PM

1,348 posts, read 706,461 times

Advertisements

enjoy them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2023, 06:30 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
I have a ton and they love my stacks of firewood but my neighbors cat keeps them away for the most part.

My advice? Plant enough tomatoes for everyone, including them

Old 04-10-2023, 06:38 AM

737 posts, read 409,146 times
I had to take down trees that hovered over my house because they would jump from trees onto my house and chew wood siding and stuff. They are a pain!

My neighbor has a garden secured by chicken wire (double wrapped). I think the garden is okay.

Old 04-10-2023, 06:52 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav51lin View Post
enjoy them
Me too. I even put out hulled sunflowers seeds for them since I already have it for the birds.

Old 04-10-2023, 09:49 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
........My advice? Plant enough tomatoes for everyone, including them
It's not possible to plant enough for them and everyone else, They (and the birds) will go along and take one bite out of every fruit, ruining all of it. If they would just eat one or two fruits and eat the whole thing, it would be fine, but they bite all of them and those they don't bite, they will pull off and fling onto the ground.

Old 04-10-2023, 10:10 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,575,531 times
Guillotine. :-)

Look up "ratzapper"

Old 04-10-2023, 11:02 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's not possible to plant enough for them and everyone else, They (and the birds) will go along and take one bite out of every fruit, ruining all of it. If they would just eat one or two fruits and eat the whole thing, it would be fine, but they bite all of them and those they don't bite, they will pull off and fling onto the ground.
My wife and I only eat like 2-3 tomatoes a week so 3 plants would of been enough for us but I planted 19 last year. I have birds, chipmonks, squirrels, rabbits, skunks, deers around here and I don't fence them in. Maybe it was luck? Maybe because I had a bird feeder 50 feet away? Maybe neighbors cat pees on them?

They did eat a few but the amount we were harvesting was worth it for everyone. Increase the yields or number of plants and you shouldn't have a problem. Try a bird feeder but then say hello to more squirrels

Old 04-10-2023, 05:29 PM

12,406 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
BTW chipmunks kill small birds too.
I have an outdoor aviary with society finches in it. The chipmunks dug in and killed two. Now I use a lot of pebbles to seal the base and do not have the problem anymore.
Squirrels will eat bird eggs and their young, not as the main part of their diet, but if they're hungry and they have an opportunity, it's bye-bye birdie. I think red squirrels are the most frequent offenders between the three species (chipmunks, grey squirrels and red squirrels).

Old 04-10-2023, 05:36 PM

12,406 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8t3rs View Post
I had to take down trees that hovered over my house because they would jump from trees onto my house and chew wood siding and stuff. They are a pain!

My neighbor has a garden secured by chicken wire (double wrapped). I think the garden is okay.
Years ago I bought an 1862 house in western NY and there were several big overhanging trees. It had a complex roof. I went into a small side attic and found acorns, dried corn on the cob, etc and realized squirrels had been nesting in there. Sure enough, there was a spot where they could comfortably stand on a lower roof and chew the siding along that little attic - not sure how they knew where to chew - maybe cased the joint for a few weeks and didn't hear anyone in that section? Anyway, I cleaned up the attic and patched up the siding.

Old 04-15-2023, 05:50 PM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Several options come to mind...

1. Capture members of their chipmunk family and threaten to harm them if the free chipmunks do not listen to your instructions.
2. Hypnotize them.
3. Blackmail them by filming chipmunk sex tapes.
...or use the methods that seem to be working to control at least one other mammalian species--
force them to all wear masks, get vaccinated, take away their gas ranges and force them to drive EVs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden