Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:26 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,242,150 times

Advertisements

1. slugs
2. slugs
3. slugs

simply devastating ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 09:40 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
Some slugs are notable garden pests and there are various methods of controlling them, including slug pellets, beer traps, physical barriers and biological pest controls. Pouring salt on a slug will draw out all the moisture in its body, causing it to die from desiccation. Here are some garden pest links, with some more control ideas...

Garden Pests & Diseases

What's Wrong with Slug Pellets

Old 07-17-2007, 02:49 PM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,242,150 times
Thanks for the interesting links! There are (anti-) slug pellets available here that do not harm other animals but our flower beds are so large that it is extremely expensive to apply them regularely. The only way to go is to plant flowers that are not attractive to slugs. It's some trial and error, tho, because our slugs tend to like almost everything. But there is hope! Recently I bought "snail-proof" hosta plants and - although they usually are a treat - these are still untouched.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:11 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,649,782 times
Ants. And I'm not talking a few, i mean thousands of them. They're even coming into the house now so we've had to put ant powder down to kill them. I hate doing it but otherwise they'd take over the house.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:43 PM

72,416 posts, read 18,202,018 times
If it ever rains here,it would be the ants,those would invade the windows! YUK!

Old 07-18-2007, 02:14 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
There is a bait trap type thing for ants. They eat and return to the nests, feed the larva...and eventually kill off the nest/colony. I had to do it at my place. It did work tho!

Old 07-18-2007, 02:26 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I am hoping I do not have a new permanent garden pest. We have a "wanna-be hippie" up the hill from us. Years ago she had a number of rabbits and felt no animal should be caged and let them roam freely. This is actually dangerous for the animals. Between her feuding neighbors that shot them on sight when they saw them in their yard, owls & hawks, coyotes, dogs, mountains lions and bears, I figured they were all gone by now. NOT. My 4 yr. old daughter yelled out a few days ago, "there's a rabbit in the backyard!" I have never seen a rabbit right in our yard, not wild or domesticated, but there it was, and I could tell it was not a wild one by the coloring and how it moved and hopped. It left and then I saw it again early in the morning yesterday. It comes into the backyard and nibbles and eat the clover growing in our lawn. I like rabbits but worry it will soon get into my flowers and plants I have growing.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:17 PM

378 posts, read 1,203,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I am hoping I do not have a new permanent garden pest. We have a "wanna-be hippie" up the hill from us. Years ago she had a number of rabbits and felt no animal should be caged and let them roam freely. This is actually dangerous for the animals. Between her feuding neighbors that shot them on sight when they saw them in their yard, owls & hawks, coyotes, dogs, mountains lions and bears, I figured they were all gone by now. NOT. My 4 yr. old daughter yelled out a few days ago, "there's a rabbit in the backyard!" I have never seen a rabbit right in our yard, not wild or domesticated, but there it was, and I could tell it was not a wild one by the coloring and how it moved and hopped. It left and then I saw it again early in the morning yesterday. It comes into the backyard and nibbles and eat the clover growing in our lawn. I like rabbits but worry it will soon get into my flowers and plants I have growing.
We have three rabbits, one beige (Blondie), one white (Blanche), and one white with black ears and back (Spot). Someone obviously had them as pets and let 'em go. We thoroughly enjoy them. They roam at least three yards and are now living under our back deck. We've been here just over a year, they've had no babies, so we can only hope Spot (the male) has been neutered. (Or is Gay, at least!) They stay clear of humans, so will probably last a while. Cuties! (I'm using them as the reason not to put in my usual huge lavish garden, although it could be laziness on my part...) Let 'em eat the clover!

Old 08-02-2007, 02:09 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
I have found that the best thing to use in my garden and lawn is gasoline. Although it kills EVERYTHING you no longer have to worry about pests. It truly is a wonderous substance. I usually put it in a little sprayer and just walk around spraying any growing substance with it. In a matter of days everything sprayed is dead. The best part is NO PESTS!

P.S- Im just kidding

Old 08-02-2007, 03:45 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,539 times
JAPANESE BEETLES!!!!!!!! Worst year I can ever remember!!!!!!!! I spray every day and the &^^%^ keep coming!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden