Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 08:10 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
So no quick ways? Will we be able to plant anything in front of the house this summer? Or will whats growing back choke it out?
I suppose you can plant new stuff once you have cleared most of it away i.e. the first three steps. You will just have to remain vigilant with regards to the vine stems so as to keep yanking them. Make sure the new plants do not obscure your access.

Perhaps if you tilled and dug up the area as a last step, that might expidite it. When I removed some, I was not in a hurry and thus did it gradually.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 01:49 PM

668 posts, read 2,186,641 times
Get to the root, and put some rock salt around them. Water them and the rock salt will seep into the soil...(if you have other plants around, only put a small amount of salt around the root of the plant). This is guaranteed to kill the plant, as I have used it to kill japaneese knot weeds and even some trees that were in inappropriate places that needed to be removed, and no one knew how to kill the things before chopping them down.

I found this by accident, while trying to kill some weeds and there was this beautiful purple tree that had the prettiest leaves that I have ever seen and I wanted to save it, so, I didnt put any salt around it...trouble is, the water from the rain washed the salt into the tree and killed it...I was bummed out!

I would even get a small tin can, cut it so that it opens and shove it into the dirt around the plant so that the salt will be contained and only go into the soil around your plant that you want killed.

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 04-03-2009, 06:41 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,155,773 times
Quote:
So no quick ways? Will we be able to plant anything in front of the house this summer? Or will whats growing back choke it out?
You can roundup the entire area several times. But then you'll need to wait a month and probably more for the soil to be fertile again. There is no easy way to remove English Ivy from the ground. Maybe a nuke.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:10 PM

87 posts, read 310,366 times
Quote:
Nope, nothing quick. If you plant shrubs in front of the house, the ivy will eventually take over it too, so just keep pulling.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:11 PM

87 posts, read 310,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
Get to the root, and put some rock salt around them. Water them and the rock salt will seep into the soil...(if you have other plants around, only put a small amount of salt around the root of the plant). This is guaranteed to kill the plant, as I have used it to kill japaneese knot weeds and even some trees that were in inappropriate places that needed to be removed, and no one knew how to kill the things before chopping them down.

I found this by accident, while trying to kill some weeds and there was this beautiful purple tree that had the prettiest leaves that I have ever seen and I wanted to save it, so, I didnt put any salt around it...trouble is, the water from the rain washed the salt into the tree and killed it...I was bummed out!

I would even get a small tin can, cut it so that it opens and shove it into the dirt around the plant so that the salt will be contained and only go into the soil around your plant that you want killed.

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
Hate to disagree, but salt will ruin the ground and nothing will grow there.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:21 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,155,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaisleyChic View Post
Nope, nothing quick. If you plant shrubs in front of the house, the ivy will eventually take over it too, so just keep pulling.
Exactly. See all that green? This photo was taken in Dec 24, 2008. Those aren't evergreen trees. That's Ivy.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:49 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
My way is pretty much the Moth way. I pulled and clipped all of the long above ground runners. I used a garden fork to loosen the dirt and follow the roots through the soil, carefully and meticulously pulling, teasing out the roots. Only three sprouts emerged in the 24 by 40 foot area after I initially cleared it. I had one sprout the following spring, dug it, then started to plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
The Moth Method:

First, get some electric hedge trimmers and cut swathes through the area of ivy you want to remove. Make straight cuts down to the ground about every 2 or 3 feet.

Then, get a broomstick and insert it under the ivy and 'lever' the vines up.

Then, its time to pull and pull. And pull some more.

After all that, you are left with lots of small stems or stubs of vines that can grow back. Be vigilant and keep yanking them out of the ground.

This all takes time.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 7,398 times
I'm disabled and can't afford to hire anyone so I need to kill at least the ivy that's going over all my rock walls and walk ways and there's alot. Is round-up the best and is there a specific kind of RU that I need to get, and can I buy it at OSH or Home Depot?

Old 10-31-2010, 03:52 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
RoundUp is RoundUp and, yes, Home Depot carries it.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:53 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,326 times
I have a vine issue too and a rose of sharon issue and a wild rose issue too, in fact. I buy the concentrated round up or brush killer and I use a paint brush or spray to wet the plant. The regular round up was killing nothing for me so I use it full strength concentrated. Got tired of doing it over and over again on the same plants. Just be careful it doesn't get on plants you want and I try not to breath it in either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden