Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 11,484 times

Advertisements

Hi -

I will in Houston area in Texas. I am a novice gardener, recently inspired to grow a fragrant garden. A month ago i planted Augusta Gardenia plant and couple of other frost free variety Gardenia plants outside, in the ground. All plants receives full sun and i water 2 to 3 times a week.

The buds in the Augusta gardenia plant are beginning to droop. The other 2 gardenia plants (frost free variety) are doing well. Why are the buds drooping? or is this how the buds looks (normal condition) for Augusta Gardenia? see attached image. Thanks for your help
Attached Thumbnails
Help with Gardenia-img_0001.jpg   Help with Gardenia-img_0002.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 03:06 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
August Beauties are known to commit suicide. They like lots of water, but not wet feet. They need sunshine, but not too much. They're worse than teenagers.

At the point yours is at, you may be able to fertilize it with half strength Miracle Grow. You need to pull the plant out first though. See if the roots are white. If they are, then add some small gravel to the hole when you replant it. You have to keep water away from their roots. And they need constant moisture, but not too much or too often.

These are the worst gardenias I have ever tried to grow. I have killed more August Beauties than should be allowed by law. I steer people away from them as much as I can. Find an old common variety. They'll be more reliable than this one.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:05 PM

9 posts, read 74,317 times
WOW...I think I made a big mistake! I live in Massachusetts and I bought the August Beauty Gardenias, I think I have a better chance of becoming Miss America than I do of seeing the beautiful, lush garden I dreamed of...Does anyone have any ideas? Could I tuck them in so they stay snug in the cold winter? Would it be best to plant them in a container and roll it into the cellar in the fall? Should I just take the money I spent on them and plant that in the garden instead? I am a lousy gardener. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by marysunshine3864; 05-17-2009 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: typing error

Old 05-17-2009, 07:56 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
I don't know about that particular variety, but the usual ones here in south georgia like to be in the shade. The heat and all that sun wilts them. I think they also like slightly acid soil.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:40 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,508 times
Yes, at least partial shade, acidic soils, and lots of water combined with good drainage. . . If you have the right spot, the right soil, the right climate, Gardenia's are a joy. . . most of us (in the U.S.) do not. . . .

Old 05-18-2009, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysunshine3864 View Post
WOW...I think I made a big mistake! I live in Massachusetts and I bought the August Beauty Gardenias, I think I have a better chance of becoming Miss America than I do of seeing the beautiful, lush garden I dreamed of...Does anyone have any ideas? Could I tuck them in so they stay snug in the cold winter? Would it be best to plant them in a container and roll it into the cellar in the fall? Should I just take the money I spent on them and plant that in the garden instead? I am a lousy gardener. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
As far as I know, Gardenias are only hardy to zone 7a. Some people try to over winter them in cellars and living rooms and near bright patio doors. You could give it a try. Given your location, I would suggest lilacs instead of gardenias.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:13 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
To Rami.... I got to thinking about what you said about "buds drooping." I looked at mine, and the buds are also drooping in spots. I think it's because those buds are heavy, and there may be two or more on that end of the branch. All the new growth is tender and weak at this point. It can't hold the heavy buds up. That's typical of the gardenia.

I think that once this years blooming season is over and the growth hardens up, you may be able to have a strong healthy plant. Give it some more time. It may even do ok in the full sun.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:09 PM

9 posts, read 74,317 times
Thanks! I bought white lillacs, they are beautiful and from what I understand pretty hardy!!

Old 06-01-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysunshine3864 View Post
Thanks! I bought white lillacs, they are beautiful and from what I understand pretty hardy!!
Very. They love cold weather and it makes them bloom. Make sure you keep it well watered this summer and even into the winter if there's not much rain/snow. Next spring, you should be rewarded nicely, about the same time our gardenias are blooming in the south.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:32 AM

1 posts, read 8,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Very. They love cold weather and it makes them bloom. Make sure you keep it well watered this summer and even into the winter if there's not much rain/snow. Next spring, you should be rewarded nicely, about the same time our gardenias are blooming in the south.
In northern CT my favorite non (Species) lilac for fragrance, smaller size and non-succering is Miss Kim, followed by the smaller Korean variety, Paliban. They bloom in succession, spreading out the lilac season. Easy care in sun, mostly sun, average soil and water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden