Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 01:21 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,209,727 times

Advertisements

The instructables site has instructions on how you can make your own for practically nothing. There are a bunch of other ways to grow tomatoes there too.

Tomato Grower in a Gatorade Bottle

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make...Upside-down-t/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 04:02 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,859,644 times
I put two tomatoes out yesterday using kitty litter buckets. One of the handles broke off after we hung it. We did manage to save the plant and use a new bucket. I guess the other one had been collecting rain water for too many years.

YouTube - Upside down tomato planter

Old 05-25-2009, 08:39 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,146,683 times
I bought my Topsy Turvy at Kohl's and will do the tomato planting tomorrow.

Like the idea of the coco planter too! I think I'll try one and put a nice wave petunia on top

Old 05-25-2009, 09:27 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,350,631 times
Elke, have you thought of growing edible flowers with your tomato? Pansies and marigolds wouldn't be flowing enough, but how about some nasturiums? You could add the blossoms to the salads you make using the tomatoes. Just a thought.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Elke, have you thought of growing edible flowers with your tomato? Pansies and marigolds wouldn't be flowing enough, but how about some nasturiums? You could add the blossoms to the salads you make using the tomatoes. Just a thought.
What a great idea, MICoastiMom Thank you!
I'll check out some nasturtium - might even try growing them from seed

Old 05-25-2009, 09:50 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,856,133 times
I've planted 3 of them and found they seem to be great at allowing the plants to grow. I placed grape tomatos and zucchini in the ones I've done and they seem to to all be blooming prolifically. I feed the plants regularly and water them twice as much as I feed them. being outside there has been no need for watering this week. I would say it is indeed what they claim. You can buy them at Target for $10 I did place larger plants in them, you know the kind the $3.50 ones at Home Depot.

2 Green thumbs up

Old 05-26-2009, 02:17 PM

63 posts, read 266,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLineMommy View Post
You can save yourself a bunch of money by making them yourselves, plus get an extra plant out of it. If you purchase the hanging pot with the coco bedding, just cut a hole in the bottom. Buy or grow a tomato seedling and put it in upside down (I usually use a little bit of bunched newspaper at the roots to make sure it doesn't fall out, and make sure to make your slit just big enough to get the plant inside), and the fill with topsoil. You can then plant another plant on the top. I prefer herbs, as they don't root too far and still look very nice. Just don't put any hot peppers, as they will make your tomatoes hot. You can reuse the hanging planter next year, and it is so much nicer to look at than the ones you see on TV.
I do this exact same thing. I have three of them and all are doing well. I have annuals planted on top that looks pretty spilling over the cocoa fiber pot. To me they are way more attractive looking than the Topsy Turvy.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:36 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Mine died. Don't know when it happened, but I found it wilted, and when I was messing with it, it felt like the stem was broken. Ouch. On the other hand, the pepper plant is doing well.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:39 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,168,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLineMommy View Post
You can save yourself a bunch of money by making them yourselves, plus get an extra plant out of it. If you purchase the hanging pot with the coco bedding, just cut a hole in the bottom. Buy or grow a tomato seedling and put it in upside down (I usually use a little bit of bunched newspaper at the roots to make sure it doesn't fall out, and make sure to make your slit just big enough to get the plant inside), and the fill with topsoil. You can then plant another plant on the top. I prefer herbs, as they don't root too far and still look very nice. Just don't put any hot peppers, as they will make your tomatoes hot. You can reuse the hanging planter next year, and it is so much nicer to look at than the ones you see on TV.
Thanks! Nothing like a little DIY money savings!

Old 05-26-2009, 04:43 PM

Well, today I planted a "larger" tomato plant in the Topsy Turvy and a home grown one in a coco planter. Again, thanks for the idea with the coco planter - am shopping for nasturtiums to put on top
Now I'm waiting for three days in the 80s to get the tomato plants "going"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden