Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2010, 12:04 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,947,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
WOW - Alaska - that explains it LOL I really need to brush up on my states abbreviations more - I was thinking you were in Arkansas = )
You would be amazed at how many people make that mistake. AR -- AK -- AL ... it's all close right?!

The state abbreviations that are worst for my husband (who's a Brit) are the M states. He spent a whole afternoon arguing with a guy about something thinking he was in Montana, until I told him "no no Baby, MN is Minnesota".

But, yeah, if it were snowing in central Arkansas in the beginning of October I'd be a little concerned myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 06:56 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
I should have a killin frost tonight and for the next several nights if not till spring...

The tomaters are covered, but will have to be seen if they can stay or ripen in the window sills.

Carrots are good to go since they are under ground, but will come in soon anyway. They turned out great like store bought.

A few bean pods and pea pods will go to seed out there, and need a hard freeze i think.

Besides tilling in the weeds, the strawberries all need to be moved else where out of the garden, when that happens the garden is a done deal. Only some fall planted lettuces will survive under snow and pop up in spring. So that one bed and 3 tater beds don't get tilled. The tater beds are being made into worm houses all one big bed for composting.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:01 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Another handful of cherry tomatoes (the only ones that seem to be ripening), a cuke and a handful of peas. Not sure when we start getting frosts in this area.

Just checked and it seems the first fall frost is overdue - should be around Oct 5th. Guess I better start thinking/preparing to bring some stuff like herbs etc inside, at least overnights.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:04 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Picked a small Italian style pumpkin, yellow Hungarian wax peppers, sunflowers, and a very, very small zuchini. Pretty poor pollination this spring and if I was a homestead I'd be starving this winter.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:47 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Picked a small Italian style pumpkin, yellow Hungarian wax peppers, sunflowers, and a very, very small zuchini. Pretty poor pollination this spring and if I was a homestead I'd be starving this winter.
LOL my thoughts exactly about my own garden. I got a tomato and some herbs to make dinner. Ooh I feel so self-sufficient.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:06 AM

My garden is done. Picked all the last tomatoes yesterday for fear of freezing. Some were green still, but can ripen on the window sills, or just be cooked down for green chillie.

Apx 20 pounds all at once.....

Next the 6 beds of strawberry plants must be moved to another location outside the garden, so more real stuff can be planted come Spring. They just took over, and I won't throw them away in the compost, except the older plants. I just started with 5 plants 4 years ago. These produce from Spring into early Oct and still some are flowering....

Last till in all the weeds, Till again in Spring and plant. Been a bang up year in NH this time. Will be eatting till next harvest too. I sure like that.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:26 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,143,707 times
I'm going out there to pick all the tomatoesm left on the vine & wrap them in newspaper.

I think there's a cuke & a green pepper & of course the herbs.

I've been drying bags of herbs for the last 6 weeks. I have so much basil~I'll never use that much. & the cats have found the dried catnip in the baggie & roll on the bag.

I just moved the strawberries out of the planters & into a small raised garden area. We'll see if I'll regret that like Mac!

Old 10-17-2010, 05:07 PM

Gue, I have no regret, as i wanted more than 5 plants in the first place. It was the last 6 plants container when i bought it at the place, and there was only 5 living plants in it. They went nuts, but i will be having strawberries anytime i want till harvest, all winta'. Ayha

They just need to be moved and thinned out to a few hundred plants.

I had intended to split up the 2 first rows into 4 new rows and all that got me was one of the first 2 rows thinned out by maybe 1/3rd.

I need the space for other plants a little more food basic, and still have 50 lbs of strawberries in the freezer.

And then I want to change the way the garden is, and be able to till long rows, instead of short ones. Turning a pony tiller every 20 paces is nuts.

Tell me about the tomatoes and the news paper trick. I don't know that one.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:41 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Mac I'll help ya out on the newspapers. Just take your green tomatoes and wrap individually in newspaper put them in a box & store in a dark cool place. Not freezing. They will continue to ripen you can have tomatoes through the holidays depending on how many you have. They aren't as good as vine ripended but better than winter store bought maters.

Same thing happens if you pull the plants up by the roots then hang them upside down from the rafters of your garage. They will be edible until you get a freezing also.

I ran into to many snakes growing up when we had to pick strawberries do any of you have problems with them?

Old 10-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,143,707 times
Yup~Jaxson is the one who reminded me about the newspapers..still haven't gotten around to it though..

Maybe this weekend...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden