Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 09:53 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
I've gone back to 425 A.D. on my mother's side. His name was Heytir Gorrsson. Lot's of "royals" on my mom's side, but lot's of horse theives on my dad's :}
Actually I just got back to 160 A.D. To the 1st King of Kvenland (aka Finland). So I correct myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 09:32 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,934,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

1. How far have you gone back?

2. Is it possible to go back to Adam and Eve?

3. If a family member told you that they have completed it back that far would you take it as the truth or want to see for yourself?

4. Do you concentrate on a single line or do you work on all family lines?
1. The year 989. Name: Cyrillus of Britain

2. No, as they're mythical figures.

3. See for myself. I didn't believe the researcher who traced the Cyrillus line until I pored over her work with a fine-toothed comb.

4. All I can. So far only one has panned out.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
1. The year 989. Name: Cyrillus of Britain

2. No, as they're mythical figures.

3. See for myself. I didn't believe the researcher who traced the Cyrillus line until I pored over her work with a fine-toothed comb.

4. All I can. So far only one has panned out.
Really, mythical figures. Was that neccessary?

Old 12-13-2011, 01:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Quote:
Believe, don't believe. That is OK. I do but don't care if others do or not. Being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints I do wonder why it is that others are so interested in Geneology. For me it is a part of growing up, something that we do. Maybe I will start another thread on that subject.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:32 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,934,099 times
Quote:
He asked, I answered. Deal with it.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:11 PM

37,107 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Believe, don't believe. That is OK. I do but don't care if others do or not. Being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints I do wonder why it is that others are so interested in Geneology. For me it is a part of growing up, something that we do. Maybe I will start another thread on that subject.
Why should we not be? It is interesting and fun.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
He asked, I answered. Deal with it.
I did.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:48 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,030,841 times
Quote:
Being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints I do wonder why it is that others are so interested in Geneology.
You think genealogy only started after Joseph Smith came along?

Family Chronicle - History of Genealogy

For some, an interest in genealogy is an adjunct to a history hobby. It's an enjoyable enterprise to find out who your ancestors are and what era/place they lived in, then research that time frame to be able to imagine what their lives were like. It's not just figuring out who your begets were

Old 12-14-2011, 11:55 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
You think genealogy only started after Joseph Smith came along?

Family Chronicle - History of Genealogy

For some, an interest in genealogy is an adjunct to a history hobby. It's an enjoyable enterprise to find out who your ancestors are and what era/place they lived in, then research that time frame to be able to imagine what their lives were like. It's not just figuring out who your begets were
In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints we believe that Geneology started from the beggining. Not something that Joseph Smith started in anyway. Like you stated about wanting to know who your family members are, in the old Testament there is a scripture that talks about in the last days people will have this desire to learn about their families. I think it is in Isaiah. (Is that spelled right?)

Old 12-24-2011, 02:00 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times
Quote:
I have a history degree and, even though I forged my career elsewhere, history has always been my passion. In addition, my father died when I was just nine and I knew almost nothing about his side of the family (and what I knew turned out to be false). Consequently, it was perfectly logical that I would want to research my family history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy