Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 08:05 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,071 times

Advertisements

I really don't care one way or another who my distant ancestors were and what their race is. What I do see is a whole bunch of businesses popping up making a bloody fortune convincing people that they should hand over their money to know who their ancestors are. My gawd the money spent on these businesses must be in the multiple millions by now.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:15 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,666,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
I think it's rigged to downplay African/black ancestry and overrate European/white ancestry.
Why do you think this? Both 23andme and Ancestory.com (if that is who you were referring to) both came back with similar African ancestry results for me. 21% and 18% respectively. Now Ancestory.com came back 3 percent lower, but I wouldn't consider that a whole lot. I'd think that Ancestory.com would have been 0% if they would want to downplay something.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:19 PM

318 posts, read 638,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbye_hello View Post
Ever heard of "shock entertainment"? People wouldn't tune into Whites finding out their DNA is White.

As illustrated earlier in thread, the DNA results are inconsistent. A radio show not being fully honest? No-way right
I bet if Donald Sterling or Mark Cuban went on The Trisha Goddard Show and took a DNA test, they would probably rig it so the results would say that they have say for example 20 percent Sub Saharan African admixture.

Than the talk show host Trisha Goddard can ask "Hey Mark how can you be afraid of Black males in hoodies, when you your self are also Black ?". "Do you fear your own race ?"

Old 05-28-2014, 04:21 PM

741 posts, read 763,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
Do white americans embrace their African ancestry?
Archeologists have told us that our species took form, came from the African continent about 200,000 years ago. Just where on the continent is still a debate. Some relatively recent discoveries have changed the focus to the "Middle East", in present day Israel. Whatever the case may be ... no matter the part of Africa ... no, I don't particularly "embrace" an "African ancestry." I accept what the archeologists say and the Geneologists theorize and leave it at that. I'm a caucasian who concentrates on researching my ancestry from the past 600-800 years. The focus is on Scandanavia and Ireland ... where my family roots lie. Were I a black African-American I'm supposing I'd be concentrating on my roots on the African continent, as well as the path which my ancestors would have followed which brought them to North America where I live.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:42 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocrodril View Post
My ex is 80 percent Neanderthal and 20 percent Bimboensis.
What does that say about your taste in women?

Old 06-02-2014, 12:05 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
Archeologists have told us that our species took form, came from the African continent about 200,000 years ago. Just where on the continent is still a debate. Some relatively recent discoveries have changed the focus to the "Middle East", in present day Israel. Whatever the case may be ... no matter the part of Africa ... no, I don't particularly "embrace" an "African ancestry." I accept what the archeologists say and the Geneologists theorize and leave it at that. I'm a caucasian who concentrates on researching my ancestry from the past 600-800 years. The focus is on Scandanavia and Ireland ... where my family roots lie. Were I a black African-American I'm supposing I'd be concentrating on my roots on the African continent, as well as the path which my ancestors would have followed which brought them to North America where I live.
What you're speaking about isn't a white person embracing their African ancestry. African ancestry in whites would be if they had some African ancestors in the past 500 years, enough to show up in their dna. If a person does have that ancestry and it shows up in their dna test, it's entirely up to them to embrace ir or not. No one can tell a person how to identify.

And please don't speak for black African Americans. Many of us have ancestries on multiple continents (Africa, Europe, Asia, or the Americas) and there are plenty of people who have no problem embracing all aspects of their heritage. That's not everyone, and that's also an individual thing.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:53 AM

741 posts, read 763,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
What you're speaking about isn't a white person embracing their African ancestry. African ancestry in whites would be if they had some African ancestors in the past 500 years, enough to show up in their dna. If a person does have that ancestry and it shows up in their dna test, it's entirely up to them to embrace ir or not. No one can tell a person how to identify.

And please don't speak for black African Americans. Many of us have ancestries on multiple continents (Africa, Europe, Asia, or the Americas) and there are plenty of people who have no problem embracing all aspects of their heritage. That's not everyone, and that's also an individual thing.
You need to lighten up, and drop the chip from the shoulder ... and look at what someone says before jumping to negative conclusions.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:12 PM

11 posts, read 41,814 times
My great grandparents immigrated illegally to the United States in the early 20th century from Jamaica . They left their culture behind because they didn't want people to make the connection and get into trouble that would cause them to be deported. So while my grandfather is 100% Jamaican, his culture is 100% African American. While I have mentioned that I'm a 1/4 Jamaica as an interesting footnote, I would never claim or embrace that culture. I think that's how a lot of people feel about about a distance relative in the family tree that is of another race or culture.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:19 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethurya View Post
My great grandparents immigrated illegally to the United States in the early 20th century from Jamaica . They left their culture behind because they didn't want people to make the connection and get into trouble that would cause them to be deported. So while my grandfather is 100% Jamaican, his culture is 100% African American. While I have mentioned that I'm a 1/4 Jamaica as an interesting footnote, I would never claim or embrace that culture. I think that's how a lot of people feel about about a distance relative in the family tree that is of another race or culture.
And some people do rapidly embrace whatever culture in that circumstance. Some people feel a connection.

Also, genetically speaking there is a connection that can affect one's health and perhaps one's behavior.

Vanessa Williams spoke of her brother having a rare blood disease common among Italians and it turns out they are part Italian. She talked about how her mother liked to bargain, and she said dna tests found out her mother is part middle eastern (they are stereotyped as liking to bargain). So for those who think our ancestry has to do with parts of our personalities, they do indeed embrace that.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:18 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
I found my Ancestry results fascinating, not only because I wanted to know whether or not what I see in the mirror accurately depicts my genetic heritage, but also because, like Vanessa William's brother, I have a very rare disease that is most often found in people from a particular part of the world. Turns out that I fit the genetic profile, which I found strangely comforting. I'm not really sure why.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-10-2014 at 12:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy