Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 03:15 PM

79 posts, read 387,965 times

Advertisements

what kind of doctor does an ancestry DNA test? I want to know what percentage of European and indigenous I am and any other I am made up of. But how accurate is it? How much does it cost? Does the results mean my brothers will have the same percentages as mine? What about my parents? What else would the DNA test reveal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 06:28 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,764,835 times
You don't need a doctor. When you order a DNA test kit it comes with everything you need to do the test yourself. It's non invasive and takes seconds to do and just minutes to package it to send back to the lab.

There are several places you could order from- do a search on this forum. Costs range from
$ 99.00 and up to many hundreds of dollars. Depends on what you want to search for.

Each DNA testing lab will give much information on what they can search for and how your test may be different or similar to your the rest of your family.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:17 AM

393 posts, read 1,497,525 times
There are several big companies that will test your DNA with a saliva test, either by cheek swab or by spitting into a little cup. Here are a few of the major ones:

AncestryDNA
23andMe
National Geographic Geno 2.0
FamilyTree DNA

I've tested with all of those, and I would recommend starting with 23andme.com. Their basic test is $99 right now, which is one of the lowest prices, and they give a lot of information.

No, you and your siblings might have inherited different amounts of DNA from both parents. You can check my DNA blog post linked here if you want to see what the various test results look like.

My DNA test results blog post

Old 09-12-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCat View Post
There are several big companies that will test your DNA with a saliva test, either by cheek swab or by spitting into a little cup. Here are a few of the major ones:

AncestryDNA
23andMe
National Geographic Geno 2.0
FamilyTree DNA

I've tested with all of those, and I would recommend starting with 23andme.com. Their basic test is $99 right now, which is one of the lowest prices, and they give a lot of information.

No, you and your siblings might have inherited different amounts of DNA from both parents. You can check my DNA blog post linked here if you want to see what the various test results look like.

My DNA test results blog post

why do I have to go to a website to get the test done? Don't I have to see a doctor or something in person? I have health insurance. I want to use it. I don't trust this they'll mail me something, I'll mail them something back game.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:55 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusnred View Post
why do I have to go to a website to get the test done? Don't I have to see a doctor or something in person? I have health insurance. I want to use it. I don't trust this they'll mail me something, I'll mail them something back game.
Your health insurance will not cover the kind of testing you are describing. If you have a family history of a specific genetic disorder, you may be able to get insurance to pay for a rest for that disorder. Insurance will not pay to test for the genes that are used to track where your ancestors came from.

If you want to know that, you will have to use one of the companies that does that kind of testing. You collect the sample yourself and send it to them. If you are not willing to do that, you will not be able to get the information. There is no place for you to be able to walk in and give a sample.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:13 AM

5,041 posts, read 7,419,654 times
AncestryDNA is really bad for ethnic breakdown, and so is FamilyTreeDNA. 23andMe is very good at telling you your % of Native American, European, Asian, African. What AncestryDNA tells me is "3% uncertain", 23andMe breaks down into Native American and African. 23andMe also gives you a lot of information about your genetic risks for dozens of diseases which can be worrying but may be useful to know. All three of these companies also offer a list of your genetic relatives in their databases.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:11 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
AncestryDNA is really bad for ethnic breakdown, and so is FamilyTreeDNA. 23andMe is very good at telling you your % of Native American, European, Asian, African. What AncestryDNA tells me is "3% uncertain", 23andMe breaks down into Native American and African. 23andMe also gives you a lot of information about your genetic risks for dozens of diseases which can be worrying but may be useful to know. All three of these companies also offer a list of your genetic relatives in their databases.
Good to know. I'd wondered about that.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:31 PM

how does it work? I mail my saliva and they get it 2 weeks later then it becomes hot dried saliva? what happens if I use mouthwash before putting my sample on the cotton swab? will it change the results? will it make it harder for them to know my ancestry?

Old 09-13-2013, 03:45 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusnred View Post
how does it work? I mail my saliva and they get it 2 weeks later then it becomes hot dried saliva? what happens if I use mouthwash before putting my sample on the cotton swab? will it change the results? will it make it harder for them to know my ancestry?
All you have to do is follow the directions that come with the test. The 23And Me kit uses spit, not a swab, and the sample is mixed with a liquid preservative. The swab used for Family Tree DNA is placed in a liquid for transport.

Yes, sometimes you may not send a sample that works. That happened to my husband. He was sent a new kit at no charge. The second one was successful.

https://customercare.23andme.com/ent...-saliva-sample

Family Tree DNA - DNA Test Kit Instructions

You seem to want the information but are very suspicious of the process needed to get it. Do you have a specific concern? Have you actually gone to the company web sites and explored the details of the process?

Old 09-14-2013, 09:50 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Of the three, which has the best base for genetic relatives, especially covering the British Isles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy