Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 06:24 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times

Advertisements

I had to end my post early....but my 3rd great grandfather? Turns out there was a great deal of history with this. They ended up archaeologically digging up Camp Millen in the program Time Travel (?)... and the graveyard had been on "donated land", but something went wrong somewhere and the heirs of the property wanted it back, so they dug up all the soldiers, and they are now buried in Beaufort SC, in the Federal Cemetery there.

I didn't find him in searches because there were several ways to spell his name... and he was buried under his initial, and last name spelled in a way I would have never guessed. So even if I had looked up Abner S...it didn't show...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 08:32 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
When I found out that my grandfather's 3 year old sister died falling inside some sort of a tandoori oven. Back then, these were built in-ground. People could have easily fall inside them and burn to death.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:07 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
When I found out my 3rd great grandfather died a POW in the Civil War, in Camp Millen GA. 3 days before the camp was liberated. Buried in an unmarked grave.

Gutted me for a month....
Tallysmom, an article about the pow camp states that the dead buried at Camp Lawton were moved to Beaufort National Cemetery. Have you looked to see if your grandfather is there?

Camp Lawton Civil War Prison Site - Millen, Georgia

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...=cr&CRid=69466

Old 07-21-2017, 09:36 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Tallysmom, an article about the pow camp states that the dead buried at Camp Lawton were moved to Beaufort National Cemetery. Have you looked to see if your grandfather is there?

Camp Lawton Civil War Prison Site - Millen, Georgia

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...=cr&CRid=69466
Yes...eventually. This was long ago, and I found the information in pieces. No one had the whole story.

I found where he died, and the unmarked grave. There was a map, though. It took several months to find out the land reverted back to the original owner or heirs.

Months of digging past that led me to Beaufort. Where I ended up going person by person in the S category...a few times...because they spelled his name weird.

And I didn't leave him flowers on Find a Grave...which is strange.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:45 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Learning of relatives that died in the Nazi concentration camps

Old 07-21-2017, 10:57 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
I toured the prison that my grandfather was warden of. The historic society had old photos. My uncle shared an incident. My grandfather whom I placed on a pedestal had a dark side. Beating drunkards at whim...Whilst my grandmother ( being the nurse), attended to their wounds. The prisoners never told her it was her husband that caused it. They liked her too much. But learning this of him...Made me sad. I knew him in his elder years..Genteel añd ever remorseful for being a burden to others as he had been stricken from polio... And had leg braces..
Another was of my great uncle..After ww1. Came home and was ridiculed as the town nutcase. He suffered from PTSD and mustard gas..It would be my great grandmother who held her head high when the town gossiped. How much I admire her letters expressing her deep sorrow that he left a boy and came back so destroyed. I,like she,carry little respect for a govt that turns it back like that. She was a courageous lady..

Old 07-21-2017, 11:44 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,942,903 times
My paternal grandfather died before I was born. Shortly before she died, my grandmother finally opened up to me on what an a-hole my grandfather was. That explained a lot to me, as to why my father was the way he was - a chip off the old block. Like father, like son.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:08 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,313,759 times
Default A century apart to the day...

Over the past five years, my cousin and I have taken a great interest in our ancestry. We know a tremendous amount about grandpa's lineage but very little about grandma's. On grandma's side, when we began our research, all we knew was her parents' names.

Digging deeper, we've finally learned our great-grandparents' DoB, DoM, and DoD. Looking over our findings, we were shocked to see that my cousin and our great-grandpa share the same birthday — exactly 100 years apart! That was an emotional find — for my cousin especially.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:03 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Nothing. Not one time did I get emotional. I did not know those people. They are strangers. I might see they died of TB 100 years ago but thinking "That's too bad" was the extent of it. I realize that if I did know those people I probably wouldn't like some of them.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:44 AM

50,332 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Reading a newspaper article about my great grandparents being struck by a hit and run driver. My G grandfather was killed, and G grandmother was severely injured. They had taken a trolley home from going to the movies and were walking home. I believe it was 1927.

The newspaper account told of how they were such an admired couple and how sad their neighbors were to have that happen to them.

Last edited by gentlearts; 07-22-2017 at 08:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy