Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 01:36 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka2 View Post
I was named (both first and middle) after a diner. My parents saw the name of the dinner which was a female first and middle name and liked it and named me. I never liked the name that much so I've used a nickname (bestowed to me by me when I went away to school) for many years.

But, it could have been far worse. My parents had a friend who had suggested to them that they name me Bobette. They actually liked it (shudder) and planned to name me that until they saw the diner's name. The friend, though, always called me Bobette whenever she saw me because she decided it was my true name. She refused to accept that my parents had chosen a different name. I guess if I had been bestowed with Bobette I would have been called Bobbie (I hope).

Oh - one interesting thing. I'm adopted but have searched and found my birthparents. My paternal grandfather was born in the late 1800s and was the 4th son. He was simply called Boy until he arrived at school. The teacher asked him his name and he said "Boy" and she wrote down "Boyd" and that was what he was thereafter called. There was one later son born while Boyd was a teenager (this was in addition to a bunch of sisters). It was that son - the fifth - who was named after his father. That was different. I guess they had run out of names.
HaHa

My father was also called Boy. He was the youngest child and the youngest of 4 boys. Supposedly his nickname came about because my grandfather would always say "Where's the Boy?" lol.

It's so funny that even in his eighties my cousins call him "Uncle Boy" because his sister/their mother called him Boy her whole life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 08:57 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
snip>

I once saw an article that explained the naming tradition for British Isles folks. Wish I had saved it. Anyone familiar with that?
Doing research myself, same territories of England, Ireland and Scotland ("British Isles").

Good luck if you're researching as well.

IRISH NAMING PATTERNS

There was more than tradition involved in naming Irish children. There
was a "British Isles Naming Convention" of the late 1500 to 1850 that
suggested naming them as follows:

IRISH NAMING PATTERNS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy