Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:02 PM

281 posts, read 811,848 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from CA to MD end of July. I scheduled appts. this week with top 5 moving company reps and they have all been shifted at least once. One was cancelled days later when a rep called and said actually they've been booked up for July for at least a week. I'm not complaining they are booked up - but then just tell me that! If you've been booked up already for the past week (and I made the appt last week) then tell me with more notice than 1 hour before the appt!

Then when they do come they say no problem, we can help you, you'll get the estimate today and then NOTHING. I do understand they are busy and booked up and it's a crazy summer - however that doesn't change my situation and all I want is for them to be honest with me. If they can't do it say so - instead of setting appts, coming out, and then cancelling or flaking out!

My company requires that I submit two bids for the move - and they must be from reputable companies. So I went with the big 5 thinking that would be best.

However it may be that these are not going to work. Does anyone have any idea for a reputable moving company that will go coast to coast other than the main ones (Allied, Maylower, United, etc)???

I really don't want to do a POD thing - I'm a single female with a child and I don't have anyone to help me do all this moving. Plus my work is paying for the move and will pay for someone to move me and do packing. I'm willing to do everything I can but I'm not an expert and prefer to have a professional packing at least things like breakable or fragile items.

Anyone know anyone and can refer me??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 10:17 PM

521 posts, read 4,414,294 times
Are you talking about July, 2011 or 2012?

This year the entire full service and DIY moving and storage industry is trying to deal with a 25-40% increase in local and long distance relocations with approximately 30% less driver and equipment capacity. Many truck rental and mobile/portable container operator are reporting the same type of capacity problems.

Most of the top two dozen national van lines and independent movers closed their 2011 schedules for month-end July at the end of June. Many have started shutting off August month end already.

The situation was exacerbated when the Department of Defense opened the floodgates on their problem ridden personal property program for several hundred thousand active and retiring military and government service members in April. In addition, all of the military base closures mandated by Congress must be completed by September, 2011.

You're best bet is make a lot of calls and be as open as possible with both your relocation schedule and pricing expectations.

I've heard reports from several very disappointed shippers that their deeply discounted shipments that were supposed to move in early June are still sitting at origin.

I've included the names of 15 of the largest national HHG carriers and links to their company website and new U.S. Dept of Transportation Safety Rating in an article explaining this industry-wide capacity shortage at I’m so confused! How do I find a mover NOW?

Be careful! Desperate consumers make easy pickings for fly-by-night scammers, unscrupulous move brokers, and anonymous rogue operators that use the internet to prey on their victims.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:15 PM

34 posts, read 57,551 times
I am a single female too moving from SC to TX. My company is paying for my move as well. I checked out several moving companies and July being busiest month for them as it seems I got too stressed out with trying to bend my schedule to theirs. So I went with PODs and then I used emove.com to find good movers who load and unload my container for me in SC and in TX. They can do packing as well. It all worked just great for me so far. I can schedule everything based on my needs and around my busy schedule.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:22 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineBeth View Post
I'm moving from CA to MD end of July. I scheduled appts. this week with top 5 moving company reps and they have all been shifted at least once. One was cancelled days later when a rep called and said actually they've been booked up for July for at least a week. I'm not complaining they are booked up - but then just tell me that! If you've been booked up already for the past week (and I made the appt last week) then tell me with more notice than 1 hour before the appt!

Then when they do come they say no problem, we can help you, you'll get the estimate today and then NOTHING. I do understand they are busy and booked up and it's a crazy summer - however that doesn't change my situation and all I want is for them to be honest with me. If they can't do it say so - instead of setting appts, coming out, and then cancelling or flaking out!

My company requires that I submit two bids for the move - and they must be from reputable companies. So I went with the big 5 thinking that would be best.

However it may be that these are not going to work. Does anyone have any idea for a reputable moving company that will go coast to coast other than the main ones (Allied, Maylower, United, etc)???

I really don't want to do a POD thing - I'm a single female with a child and I don't have anyone to help me do all this moving. Plus my work is paying for the move and will pay for someone to move me and do packing. I'm willing to do everything I can but I'm not an expert and prefer to have a professional packing at least things like breakable or fragile items.

Anyone know anyone and can refer me??

Thanks!
Did you try Atlas Van Lines - they are Nationwide and that is who we are using next week when we move from Ohio to Illinois. I got a quote from them in early June - and our agent told me that was a busy time, but I got in early enough. They also offer a discount through AAA if you are a member but your company is paying so they may not care (I can't imagine they wouldn't appreciate any savings you can help them with!) They do corporate relocations, self pack, full pack, just about anything you need. Don't know if they were in your top five, but thought I would pass this on to you. Wish you the best on your move!!!

Old 07-14-2011, 01:53 PM

521 posts, read 4,414,294 times
PODS in a well-known national mobile portable container and storage franchisor that provides local, intra- and interstate transportation of their units using a variety of common and contract motor carriers.

eMove is an unregulated third-party labor service that is part of uHaul, the popular low-cost do-it-yourself truck rental company. Both exist under the corporate umbrella of AMERCO. Neither company is related to PODS.

Since you contracted with eMove, you become the employer of the laborers you allow into your home. Under this arrangement it becomes your responsibility to ensure that they have the professional experience, proper material and equipment; and insurance protection required to complete the job that you hired them for.

In this type of moving service arrangement, it also becomes your responsibility to administer the situation if a property or personal injury claim were to occur while in your employment. Contact your insurance agent to see if you need to obtain workman's comp insurance in your state.

Unless shown otherwise, you are 100% responsible for all missing item and cargo damage claims unless you can prove gross mishandling or negligence. This usually requires an attorney. Again contact your insurance agent to see what your exposure is in this type of DIY moving service arrangement.

Moving Help - Frequently asked questions

Old 07-16-2011, 11:05 PM

I thought I'd come update. I ended up with two solid estimates. After I posted this I had United come and the local guy was fabulous! The company gets really good reviews - and I've been working with him with my situation. He did the estimate and talked to the scheduler and, since mine is relatively small at 3500 lbs, they are going to fit me in on July 29th- I got lucky. The shipment should arrive by August 15th - very good as I start work August 16th! I was really far more worried about the fact I'm leaving CA on August 2nd - and I have had to arrange for my cat to fly and all that - so I couldn't be here to load a shipment/for the movers.

I'm still trying to figure out the car situation - so any hints on shipping a car would be great. I tried the moving scam top rated but they are booked for where I'm going through August. So it looks like Dependable Auto Shippers or ProStar Auto Transport (the latter has pretty good reviews overall so I'm hopeful they'll call back on Monday!)

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Old 07-21-2011, 03:31 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,650,473 times
Quote:
I thought I'd come update. I ended up with two solid estimates. After I posted this I had United come and the local guy was fabulous! The company gets really good reviews - and I've been working with him with my situation. He did the estimate and talked to the scheduler and, since mine is relatively small at 3500 lbs, they are going to fit me in on July 29th- I got lucky. The shipment should arrive by August 15th - very good as I start work August 16th! I was really far more worried about the fact I'm leaving CA on August 2nd - and I have had to arrange for my cat to fly and all that - so I couldn't be here to load a shipment/for the movers.

I'm still trying to figure out the car situation - so any hints on shipping a car would be great. I tried the moving scam top rated but they are booked for where I'm going through August. So it looks like Dependable Auto Shippers or ProStar Auto Transport (the latter has pretty good reviews overall so I'm hopeful they'll call back on Monday!)

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Did you ask United? Years ago I used to relocate corporate executives and we used United. At that time, they would just put the car right in with the rest of your furniture. But you would need a rental during the time it was in transit.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Did you ask United? Years ago I used to relocate corporate executives and we used United. At that time, they would just put the car right in with the rest of your furniture. But you would need a rental during the time it was in transit.
I did...but then they couldn't fit me in.

I ended up going with TNT Transport. So far I've been very happy with them. I got a very decent rate (the mid quote - $1493 terminal to terminal from San Diego to Maryland) and they guarantee Aug 4th delivery at the latest or they pay for the Enterprise Rent a Car. I dropped off the car this morning at the terminal - was very happy with the inspection and staff. My agent at TNT called me this afternoon to make sure I was happy with everything and that the car got dropped off o.k.

I'll post a review if everything continues this well!

I feel so fortunate

Old 07-22-2011, 11:30 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,650,473 times
Quote:
I did...but then they couldn't fit me in.

I ended up going with TNT Transport. So far I've been very happy with them. I got a very decent rate (the mid quote - $1493 terminal to terminal from San Diego to Maryland) and they guarantee Aug 4th delivery at the latest or they pay for the Enterprise Rent a Car. I dropped off the car this morning at the terminal - was very happy with the inspection and staff. My agent at TNT called me this afternoon to make sure I was happy with everything and that the car got dropped off o.k.

I'll post a review if everything continues this well!

I feel so fortunate
That's great. Hope everything goes well.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:58 PM

12,040 posts, read 6,572,819 times
JosephineBeth,

Did I read your post correctly that it only cost you $1,493 to move from San Diego to Maryland??
How much stuff did you move at that price---2,000 square ft house worth, or just a few furniture pieces?
Thanks!
(We are thinking of moving from NM to NC, and thinking it will cost a bundle)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues