Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2012, 01:33 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give recommendations on packing large glass and fragile items?

I have 5 glass mirrors and 1 large golf framed picture that are about 3 feet tall in length. I have no idea what I should use to pack them. I also have 1 LCD where I don't have the box it came in when I bought it. I keep the box for my other Tv and computer. I was thinking blankets would do. Any ideas would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 01:40 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,357,458 times
Check out your local Self-Storage places. They have all kinds of boxes available for mirrors and pictures. Also see if you can find a small, independent TV retailer. You can probably score a box for your LCD from them.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:52 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
You might also drive around and see if you can find wooden pallets behind stores. Most of the time they don't care if you take them (ask first) and they can be handy for packing large mirrors and pictures.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:36 PM

331 posts, read 603,517 times
Blankets would be a good idea. When we moved a lot, we used the backseat of the car for breakables, and those type of items you mentioned would get a blanket on the floor and a blanket between each item as well, carefully carried one by one!

DubbleT....I agree with pallets, also at warehouses, I know we always have pallets behind the building in the dumpster, or laying beside it. *Free Score*

Old 05-16-2012, 04:26 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Buy boxes from a storage place for those items. Wrap them in blankets or towels, and then bubble wrap, before you package them. The fabric will keep the screens from scratching on the t.v.s

Old 05-16-2012, 08:49 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,945,387 times
UHaul sells boxes for pictures and for LCD TV's. They aren't cheap, but they do have the boxes, and you can wrap the items in beach towels or blankets and they'll still fit in the boxes.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:43 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Buy boxes from a storage place for those items. Wrap them in blankets or towels, and then bubble wrap, before you package them. The fabric will keep the screens from scratching on the t.v.s
yep, that's what we did to wrap our large projection tv when we came from Wi to SC (now i dont know why we even moved that beast lol), as well as some art. Soft blankets wrapped and taped then a good layer of bubble wrap. We even used our mattresses to surround the tv in the truck. Smaller screens, pix, and monitors we wrapped and placed in boxes for transport

Old 05-17-2012, 01:48 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Go to ULine and order a standard hard art work/glass frame container with enough slots for each individual interior carton in its own rack. You will also order the artwork or glass frame cartons for the size and depth of each piece. While at it, order some extra soft or convoluted foam. Pack each piece in their own carton and place that carton in its own rack inside the container and secure the racks against movement as you load them. If they are out of the rack packs, just use the wooden crate and some 1" X 1" wood slats to make the racks as you load. You can fill the excess space with left over foam or any other soft material such as a blanket or towels. MAKE SURE you labelt he correct UP end as the rack systems will protect glass and artwork so long as it remains in the upright position.

If this is to complicated or ecxpensive, just improvise with whatever is abvailable but keep the key element of these sytems in mind.
1. All items are indiviudally and properly packaged.
2. All the individual packages are next packed together to keep the fragiles in one place minimizing the chances of many individual items having to be cared for.
3. The outer case is hard and designed to protect the interior packages by adding a layer of proetection againt the dreaded sharp corner bump in to the main field of the fragile package.
4. easier to have several people move one heavy fragile container than many people moving many individual lighter containers.
5. last and not least, when you get where your going, one container with these items can be better protected from accidental damages than several all over the place.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:25 PM

521 posts, read 4,414,294 times
Here's a video that show's how the pro's do it.
How to pack a mirror - YouTube

It's just one of a series of DIY How to Pack video's presented by Suddath, a United Van Lines agent based in Florida posted on YouTube at
suddathcompany - YouTube

Old 05-17-2012, 07:19 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
Honestly, we just wrap all the glass in either bubble wrap or blankets, or the matress foam (think eggshell bed cover).

As far as the flat screen goes, a think layer of blanket or sheet, then place it between two matresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues