Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 05:31 PM

76 posts, read 405,706 times

Advertisements

If I had it to do over, I would have tried to find work prior to packing up and moving. Unfortunately my situation was such that I had to go ahead and move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 08:20 PM

983 posts, read 4,441,425 times
jillz,

Yes I have been to Dallas quite a bit. And my decision was based on many factors. California has priced the avg working middle class single income person out the door . I probably would stay if I could forsee a real estate market of prices back in 1996/97 etc. But don't think it's gonna happen any time soon. I do real estate here(not my main job) and most of my buyers are moving 50 to 60 miles one way commute just to be able to buy still in CA. I'm not one to commute. For me to buy property in my neighborhood it would still be too much and out of my reach.
Also rents continue to go up but I did notice my renewal letter only had an increase of $20. So they must be seeing a higher vacancy rate.

I am a firm believer that unless you do it, you will never know. I did consider going back to GA but my reasoning was I hated it once so why give myself a chance to hate it again!

Old 08-27-2008, 12:14 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,137,024 times
If you have $3-$4,000 you can move without a job. You need at least that much.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:27 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
By now most of you know I want to move to N.C. but I live in Texas. BIG move.
Ok, most places want you to start work now but I'm still in Texas. And it sounds kind of stupid to move without a job. I would like some feedback on anyone that might have gone something like this. Any ideas or suggestions???? Thanks

How will you go to an apartment, etc., and tell them how much you make to rent or lease a place?
You have to have an income first...then for utilities too.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:28 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
If you have $3-$4,000 you can move without a job. You need at least that much.

I would say more...you need money to put down on an apartment...1st month's rent, security deposit, usually utilities charge something to turn them on, food for the fridge, etc.

But it depends on how much stuff you have plus the weight, plus the logistics for the actual move...

Old 08-29-2008, 08:32 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,488,479 times
To the OP, this thread is 2 years old. Did you move yet?

Dawn

Old 10-05-2008, 09:29 AM

24 posts, read 139,271 times
wow, i'm glad i found this forum!! i was wondering this exact same question. i want to move back to my hometown in ga to be near family and lower cost of living, and the longer i stay in the dmv (dc/md/va) area the more i feel like i'm wasting money. most of my friends from college live here, and i love living in a city with all of my friends, but i realized that was the only reason why i really like it here. and the extremely high cost of living to me is not worth the trade off. it was a difficult decision for me to make, but i realized that to make the move. but, i wasn't sure if i should move first or find a job first. my situation is a little different, since i work in the medical field, i know that i'll be able to find a job to pay my bills, but not necisarilly what i want to do career wise. sorry for rambling. :-)

Old 11-09-2008, 11:38 AM

101 posts, read 297,791 times
I have been wondering the same, job first or move first. Will someone rent to me if I don't have a job?
And, with the economy the way it is now, is it even a good idea to move now? Arg!

Old 11-16-2008, 11:27 AM

364 posts, read 1,568,453 times
I've been internally debating this same thing lately. I'm strongly considering a move to Chicago after the first of the year, and obviously I'd like to have a job prior to moving up there, but I know it's so much easier to get a job in a city that you already live in. Especially in this economy, I don't think I could quit my stable job now to move to a new city and risk not being able to find something for a month or two.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,990 times
hi. my husband and i have been trying to relocate for 2 years now from florida to rhode island.the few jobs that have called him want him to come in for interview,but were in florida and he has a job here. he needs to give a 2 weeks notice and it has to be a guaranteed job so hes unsure about if we should leave first and then get the job. hes a truck driver class b license. hes currently a route sales rep. any opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues