Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:04 AM

360 posts, read 995,221 times

Advertisements

I need to rent a small box truck to move someone from a small apartment in NY. When she moved up there we used an Enterprise cargo van, which worked well because they don't charge mileage for vans, but now she has more stuff, and we'll need at least a small box truck, or a cargo van with the capability to tow a uhaul trailer (Enterprise doesn't have hitches on their vans). So I'm trying to figure out what the options are, didn't know if there are any local rental places that are cheaper than the big companies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 10:55 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
I need to rent a small box truck to move someone from a small apartment in NY. When she moved up there we used an Enterprise cargo van, which worked well because they don't charge mileage for vans, but now she has more stuff, and we'll need at least a small box truck, or a cargo van with the capability to tow a uhaul trailer (Enterprise doesn't have hitches on their vans). So I'm trying to figure out what the options are, didn't know if there are any local rental places that are cheaper than the big companies?
According to Enterprise Truck Rental - Household Moving Trucks Enterprise rents box trucks also. Did you call them ??

What cities and what distance are you moving to/from ?? Can you make 2 trips with the van ??

Old 04-21-2012, 12:36 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
I've had the best luck with u-haul and they always make me a good deal.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:52 PM

Enterprise charges per mile for box trucks. BUT I was looking at Budget, and for whatever reason when I put in that I was going to return to the same location it charged per mile, but when I put in one way it said unlimited miles?! If that's the case, then it will be the cheapest option by far!

Old 04-21-2012, 09:43 PM

553 posts, read 479,746 times
Quote:
Enterprise charges per mile for box trucks. BUT I was looking at Budget, and for whatever reason when I put in that I was going to return to the same location it charged per mile, but when I put in one way it said unlimited miles?! If that's the case, then it will be the cheapest option by far!
Budget's one way are always unlimited miles and after making tons of moves myself, there is no other company that I will use. Uhaul is always the highest price and their trucks are not always in the best shape. Penske is pretty good but their prices are always much higher than Budget.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:59 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison_Ivy View Post
Budget's one way are always unlimited miles and after making tons of moves myself, there is no other company that I will use. Uhaul is always the highest price and their trucks are not always in the best shape. Penske is pretty good but their prices are always much higher than Budget.
I agree, Budget is the best choice as U-Haul's trucks are hit or miss, plus the mileage charge is staggering sometimes. Hertz Penske can be a good choice and would probably most recommend their trucks if you can get a price match from them.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:09 AM

You need to be very careful with budget.

One time, I made a reservation with them and when I went to pick it up, they said I have traffic tickets and won't rent to me". They are awful to deal with. PRior to that went renting a car, they refused to honor the price on the contract when I returned the car.

When you rent a u-haul one way, they don't charge you by the mile.
They give you a certain number of miles included but it's more than enough and if you don't think it is, you can always negotiate with them. That's the thing with u-haul... it's all negotiable.

Call up to get a quote and tell them "I'll think about it" but leave them your name and number and when you plan to move. Someone on their sales force will call you back and these people are like closers... they'll do whatever it takes to get you to make the reservation. Tell them you got a lower price elsewhere and they will lower it to whatever you tell them it is.

I've had them lower 26' trucks to $200 one way over 600 miles before. And while they aren't known for having the newest equipment, the fact is, you can request a new truck. I would suggest renting from a corporate owned uhaul center not an affiliate so you can have more of a selection. Call the local center a few days before your pickup date and tell them that you have a reservation and want to make sure it will actually be there. And thats when you ask them what the newest truck is that they have and can you please have that one. LAst time I did that, I got a brand new, never rented truck with less than a thousand miles on it. Beside that, I've found the local uhaul center employees to be to be very helpful and super friendly. I go get propane fillups there from time to time and there's like an army of people to help with the large tanks that I have.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:48 PM

Checked Uhaul's one way rate, and it's $300 more than Budget, plus they charge for a car tow dolly and it looks like Budget does not. Looks like Budget is the way to go!

Old 04-22-2012, 07:59 PM

553 posts, read 479,746 times
Quote:
Checked Uhaul's one way rate, and it's $300 more than Budget, plus they charge for a car tow dolly and it looks like Budget does not. Looks like Budget is the way to go!
Good luck!

Old 04-23-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
didn't you read what I wrote?

Tell them you found a lower price. They will beat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues